Author Topic: Afterburner malfunctions  (Read 1455 times)

Offline Vinco

Afterburner malfunctions
Sorry if this is in the wrong area...

I just reinstalled FS2, and am having trouble with the afterburner.  Using both keyboard and joystick methods, I can't use it...  I'll set my speed to max as long as the afterbutner key/button is held down, but won't exceed standard speeds or drain engine energy.  I hear the initial sound, but the sound also indicates an immediate stop of the afterburner.

Any help would be Greatly appreciated.

I've tried with both FS 1.20, and FS_Open 3.5
Live with honor.  Let no man coerce you to abandon it, for your honor is the only thing that is truly yours.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Try it with 3.6.  This has come up a couple of times recently, but it has been fixed.  It had something to do with signed/unsigned integers or something, but it should be fixed in the really recent builds.  3.6 was pretty major, you should probably go ahead and update unless you have some specific reason not to.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Vinco

Moved to 3.6, and everything works fine.

It still doesn't work in 1.20, however.
Live with honor.  Let no man coerce you to abandon it, for your honor is the only thing that is truly yours.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
It won't.  Though I've not seen anyone able to reproduce the bug even on a specific set of hardware, everyone's aware of it.  But since 1.2 hasn't been fixed to correct the problem, nor will it be, you can expect it to continue not working.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

I assume since you're experiencing the problem you're using WinXP. Go to your FS2 directory and right-click on FS2.exe and select Properties. In the Compatibility tab, check off Run in compatibility mode and choose Win98/Me. Make sure you start the game using FS2.exe, not the launcher.
My one and only mission (took me a year to complete): Laying Down of Arms
Mission description: Alpha wing aids in the boarding and capturing of three surrendering NTF warships.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
I don't know that it's the same bug.  The compatability mode fixes it sometimes, but there are cases (quite a few of them actually) where it does not.

Offline Darkon

Originally posted by StratComm
I don't know that it's the same bug.  The compatability mode fixes it sometimes, but there are cases (quite a few of them actually) where it does not.

Thats interesting because I have never seen an instance where running FS2 in Win98 compatibility mode under XP has not fixed the problem.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Don't know why Retail not working is a problem though :) If FS2_Open works on your system there's no good reason to run retail any more.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
I can think of two:

1) Cutscenes
2) Original balance (before careless coders screwed it up by not making new features optional)