Author Topic: Run, Alpha 1, Run!  (Read 10364 times)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
I find that if I just order my wingmen to engage the enemy and make a solo run for the node at top speed with the engine power maxed out and heavy on the burner, I get there intact, my wingmen are in the next mission all intact, and it's all pretty easy.

I used to do it in an Ursa 'cuz I didn't trust Delta very much. Now I just use the Herc and concentrate on living long enough to let Delta do their job, which they usually can, fighters or no fighters. They do it a lot better in the Port, although that might have something to with the fact they were armed with Cyclops bombs in that mission...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I prefer the Athena packed with Furies and Stilletos and double Avengers.
First I thin the fighter cover and then I help with the reactors. But one of my favorite missions was Clash of the Titans.. too bad the normal cpaship weaponry sucked. I actually played a modified FS1 in which I gave capships powerfull weapons.. boy, was that fight great!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Why don't you take the Prometheus? I like the Athena as well as any other fighters, but why not take a powerful weapon when it is available? Is the nergy Comsumption the problem?
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
Athena can't carry it.

...I think.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 05:33:10 am by 2191 »

A Feddie Story

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Nope it can't...But I still love that ship.. I got myslef a special version of the Athena - the Athena DH..
Textured in darker tones and with a skull symbol. Real cool looking SOC ship that makes the Zeus and Artremis look like toys.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Athena can't carry it.

...I think.

Rarely do I say somebody is right, but now it is time I confessed this:
YOU ARE RIGHT!

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I thought the Athena was pretty damn ugly, actually.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
She is a nice ship, in my subjective opinion.

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Fastets bomber in the entire fleet - it's the best lightning bomber IMHO even better then the Artemis if you're to cripple the capships instead sinking them.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

It was a nice "bomber", but at the time it couldn't carry any bombs. Which was kind of odd. The only thing it could really carry in FS1 was stilettos. I hope TVWP is rectifying that issue.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
It is almost as sure as this is the 50th post in this thread.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by TopAce
It is almost as sure as this is the 50th post in this thread.

I F**king hope they aren't correcting that. Bombers weren't supposed to kill capships. Their job was to kill turrets and subsystems so that the other caps could move in and finish them off. Now it may be that at the start of the war before capships got so heavily armed and armoured they killed enemy ships but I'll be pretty disapointed if towards the end of the campaign we're still seeing wings of bombers taking down anything over cruiser size.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
Direct them at that post and discuss it in their forums.

or

Ask in the FAQ!

Offline NGTM-1R

• Syndral Active. 0410.
I kinda like the Athena's looks, myself...but the lack of weapons compatibly is the end of it, really. It can't carry bombs, it can't carry Promethus cannon, and it can't carry Hornets.

A Feddie Story

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by TopAce
Direct them at that post and discuss it in their forums.

or

Ask in the FAQ!

Well since I only have your word that they were planning to f**k up I'll just assume that they aren't idiots and aren't planning to f**k up :D

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
They will certainly get some less powerful bombs, probably some which are as powerful as the Trebuchet.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
My take on the whole T-V War bombers is that we can assume that there were other anti-capship bombers/bomb-like weapons before the development of the Medusa, Ursa, Tsunami, Harbinger, Stiletto, etc.  I don't think the whole GTA was flying Apollos and using ML-16s at the start of FS1 :p.  Obviously, the bombers wouldn't have been as effective, but they had to have at least some impact on capital ships.  I seem to remember the Tech Room descriptions talking about Vasudan bomber capabilities with regards to capital ships.  If this is true, then it's perfectly fine for the TVWP to include new bombers/bombs.

Offline TrashMan

• Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by ngtm1r
I kinda like the Athena's looks, myself...but the lack of weapons compatibly is the end of it, really. It can't carry bombs, it can't carry Promethus cannon, and it can't carry Hornets.

Who needs Hornets? With Furies it's childs play kicking shivan asses. And the Avenger is a really good cannon - fires faster then the Prometheus.

And in my oppinion FS1had some flaws. Capships really didn't have any anticapship guns, there is too little heard of bombers at the start of the campaign.
You DO get the feeling that all the GTA has is Apollos with ML-16..

I do hope they will correct that - in fact, I would be glad to give them my weapons.tbl with rebalanced capship weapons..
« Last Edit: September 18, 2004, 03:36:21 pm by 624 »

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Hm.  Could a mod split the T-V war posts and move them to the T-V war forum? :)

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Mongoose
My take on the whole T-V War bombers is that we can assume that there were other anti-capship bombers/bomb-like weapons before the development of the Medusa, Ursa, Tsunami, Harbinger, Stiletto, etc.  I don't think the whole GTA was flying Apollos and using ML-16s at the start of FS1 :p.  Obviously, the bombers wouldn't have been as effective, but they had to have at least some impact on capital ships.  I seem to remember the Tech Room descriptions talking about Vasudan bomber capabilities with regards to capital ships.  If this is true, then it's perfectly fine for the TVWP to include new bombers/bombs.

Bombers did have an impact. They took out subsystems. Trying to do that in a fighter is pretty suicidal without shields. Once the enemy ship couldn't fight back a destroyer could close and deliver the deathblow.

Remember that before the shivans appeared losing an Orion was considered a major blow. That suggests that destroyers didn't get killed often. Which further suggests that bombers were pretty ineffective at killing ships like the Orion.

It's perfectly fine for TVWP to show the older ships getting owned by bombers but the Orion should be pretty much impervious to them. It's an easy matter to say that the Orion's armour is so new that standard bombs bounce off of it without doing much damage. That means you can have bomber missions in the earlier parts of the campaign.  

As for what ships the GTA were using we know they had both the Angel Scout, the Apollo, Apolloyon (or whatever you want to call it) and IIRC the Athena itself wasn't newly introduced either.