Author Topic: Run, Alpha 1, Run!  (Read 10409 times)

Offline Antares

• Author of The Shivan Manifesto
I seem to remember a thread discussing this topic before, but out of curiosity, have any of you FS1 vets managed to destroy the PVD Prophecy in "The Great Hunt"?
We have returned to continue our purification of this galaxy. It is again your turn to be crushed beneath the great force that is the Antaran army. All your petty squabbling with the other beings in this galaxy is meaningless. The Antaran fleet will destroy you all, one by one. You may not surrender. You cannot win. Your only option is death.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
no and because of that, every "rebirth of the HOL" campaign has the Prophecy in it. :)
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
I think I actually did one time, by ordering every other ship to attack it.  Of course, Command was none too pleased ("1 minute left!  Get your @$$ to the node!" :p), and the Ursas probably didn't have any Harbingers left for the big Lucy, but it is doable.  Personally, I always thought that the Bastion and any fighters/bombers left on it would have taken care of it after you left, although there's nothing to support this as far as I know.

I destroyed it once, allthough i don´t remember getting anything for my efforts...
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Originally posted by Swamp_Thing
I destroyed it once, allthough i don´t remember getting anything for my efforts...

No, Command doesn't even mention it.  Apparently, the impending destruction of Earth take precedence over killing a destroyer for skill points :p.

P.S.  Speaking of that, has anyone ever made a campaign in which the Lucifer does destroy Earth?  It would be interesting to get someone's take on what the rest of the GTA/PVN would do if "Good Luck" failed.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
It would all be over if that happened. You'd only sit along and wait for the Lucifer to destroy every destroyer in the galaxy, and raze every planet... :p
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Well, you could attempt another attack at a different node.  A few destroyers could lead  the Lucifer on a wild goose chase until everything was set up properly for a bigger, more well-prepared strike.

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Am I the only one to simply go to the node and jump in that mission? :nervous:
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Axem

Or the Shivans, being enigmatic as usual, just vanish without a trace...

Or the Shivans suddenly realise that the Terrans and Vasudans didn't like the Extreme Makeovers given to their homeworlds and they make peace with them.

Either way, the Shivans still win... they always win... ;)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by Mongoose
P.S.  Speaking of that, has anyone ever made a campaign in which the Lucifer does destroy Earth?  It would be interesting to get someone's take on what the rest of the GTA/PVN would do if "Good Luck" failed.
There should be a few campaigns on the VWatch Archives about that.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!

Theoretically, an0n is doing a campaign based around that, though, as I understand it, he's doing it somewhat sporadically.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
You can get a good amount of score if you destroy it. I would say ignore it, you may lose too many wingmen.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline an0n

• Banned again
  • Emo Hunter
    • http://nodewar.penguinbomb.com/forum
Originally posted by Black Wolf
Theoretically, an0n is doing a campaign based around that, though, as I understand it, he's doing it somewhat sporadically.
I'm amazed that you remembered I was making a campaign

I'm terrified that you remembered the plot.

And I've almost finished that first mission. I still need to add a ton of dialogue and make it less ****ty.
"I.....don't.....CARE!!!!!" ---- an0n
"an0n's right. He's crazy, an asshole, not to be trusted, rarely to be taken seriously, and never to be allowed near your mother. But, he's got a knack for being right. In the worst possible way he can find." ---- Yuppygoat
~-=~!@!~=-~ : Nodewar.com

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Well, you could attempt another attack at a different node.  A few destroyers could lead  the Lucifer on a wild goose chase until everything was set up properly for a bigger, more well-prepared strike.

Whats the thing though, the Lucifer couldn't be destroyed outside subspace... So it never has to go anywhere... I'm wondering why it wouldn't just turn to the bastion and take it out, and then let some Dragons take out the wingmen and A1...
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

When you first arrive, the Lucifer is only 10 or so seconds away from jumping, so perhaps it was too late for it to turn around.

Valid point, however.

P.S.

Sorry you couldn't do the Hades, Hippo. Magatsu1 is fairly enthusatic, though.

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
Hippo, my thought is that the Shivans didn't see the Bastion and its complement as any threat.  Why bother stopping to destroy a measly Orion when you're on your way to toast all of humanity?  It was really only through the skill of your wing that the Lucifer's weakness was able to be exploited.

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
TECHNICAL REASONS! It would have taken a hell amount of time for the Lucifer to turn, destroy the Bastion, turn back and jump out. The Ai is too stupid to do scriptings like these.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think the Lucifer turning would have wrecked the mission flow, anyways.  It's going to finish the war off with a final strike against Earth (or at least, as far as the player knows), why bother with minnows like an Orion.

Incidentally, the chase in that mission is one of my favourite FS missions.  IIRC we tried to put a mission like that into CoW (the one where you attack the Ogdoad).

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Ghostavo
Am I the only one to simply go to the node and jump in that mission? :nervous:

No I do that too
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
For the first time, nobody dares attack the Typhon, in my opinion.