Author Topic: Question about planet screen  (Read 3013 times)

Question about planet screen
OKay this screenshot

Very impressive.

What I would like to know is how it was put together, thanks to milos great support of the community he has already bent to our bugging(okay my bugging) and added in full spec map support for us.. so I"m sure he will add in other features(bump ect) in time.

What I want to know at this point is, how this planet was created, texture sizes, what kinds of maps.. how there is no blurring up close.

This is pretty much the best Starshatter can do at the moment for planets.. and you cant get much closer in without blurring.

If I got that close...... it would be a horrible mess.

Thanks guys, and keep up the awsome work.
Matris Games
Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
That's done by me and E1. I rendered a high-res Earth image (2048x2048 if I remember correctly) with big planetary maps, and E1 put it on a skybox. Skybox is a huge box model, with the planet image slapped on to one side. We've got one for Earth and one for Mars (which I'm not going to show you :p  )

Your screenshot looks just awesome, I love that new Hyperion texture you used. But I must say I dislike the planet. It just screams: I'm done with fractal generator! :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
I was under the impression that it was Omniscraper that did the Earth & Mars skyboxes... or are these from 2 different sources?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

ya, it was done with a photoshop fract generator, I really dont know any other way to do planet maps at this point. I Tryed some by hand but they screamed "I'm done by a fool!!" . some turn out awsome with the generator, some dont, but none look near the level of that planet.

Skybox, well that does make sence I guess, actually thats a really smart way of doing things.....eliminates a lot of problems........

I cant do that for ss however... since a skybox is used for an entire system in starshatter not just one area.. so it would show up in ever sector

I suppose... I could do the trick I did with hyperspace...... I made a -huge- model, textured it like hyperspace, and broke it up into rotating parts then loaded it into the "sector" you are actually in this HUGE model the game things is a ship and rotates the areas to simulate hyperspace.. its not perfect, but its a pretty decent start..

but... it would nil a lot of the ss features, like planet orbits, rotations and such...

I guess the big problem is.. do you know how many freaking systems b5 seems to have lol, I'm using b5 wars as a "loose" reference for a lot of stuff... but I"m using their system charts as a golden guild...even fractal generating all those planets is goign to take forever, it takes a good 1-2 hours to build 1 system, with the planets, then another 1 or 2 hours to set it all up with orbits and such.... doing the 80 or so odd systems that I still have to... sigh.. lol.

Thanks bout the hyperion, I"m kind of taking my own liberty with B5 textures, trying some different things, the EA ships are gonna look a lot different then the show, I figure what the heck, there are more then enough mods that spend the hours re-creating every last line, why not try something new hehehehe.

oh well, thanks for the info! I cant wait to see mars lol!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 03:52:26 am by 2209 »
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
I was under the impression that it was Omniscraper that did the Earth & Mars skyboxes... or are these from 2 different sources?

Ironically the Skybox itself is actually his. CF changed the textures on it for MG however and has now donated it to TBP.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Originally posted by karajorma

Ironically the Skybox itself is actually his. CF changed the textures on it for MG however and has now donated it to TBP.

Actually, the TBP's skybox is entirely ours. E1 did the box, I supplied the planet image

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Damocles, I'm not familiar with Starshatter. Are you saying the game uses real planetary systems and the planets are 3d models?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Lt.Cannonfodder

Actually, the TBP's skybox is entirely ours. E1 did the box, I supplied the planet image

We getting this version in MG as well then?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Sure, as long as E1 agrees MG can use it.

Originally posted by Lt.Cannonfodder
Damocles, I'm not familiar with Starshatter. Are you saying the game uses real planetary systems and the planets are 3d models?

Ya, you build an actual system, the planets are 3d models with textures wrapped around them, I"M bugging milo now to make their polycount dynamic cause when you get close they get really ugly.

For example, the Narn system has a main sun, and then planets orbiting that sun, each planet has an area, and thats where the missions take place.. the areas can be any x distance in orbit from the planets.. and the planets can also have moons that themselves can have areas, and of course you can add astroids, atmosphere.. rings and what not

You can also add planet areas(surface, like flying over it lol).. like the mars colony and what not, but milo has said the tools to do this are really primative so I gather its something he is slowly working on improving so we can use it.

Here is how one of the systems is setup.

This is a minbari system

STARSYSTEM

name: ShLekkTha

sky: {
         nebula: "MINBARI1.mag",
//       poly_stars: "PolyS.mag",
}

stars: 2000
dust:  100
ambient:    (1,60, 80)

star:{
   name:                    ShLekkTha,
   image:    "ShLekkTha/Suns/G1.pcx",
   tscale:                   1,
   radius:               200e7,
   mass:                 200e6,
   light:                20e11,
   color:        (36,133, 255),
   back:         (69,39, 25),
}

//
planet:{
   name:       ShLekkTha,
   image:       "ShLekkTha/Minash/MalTak_LOW.pcx",
   high_res:      "ShLekkTha/Minash/MalTak_HIGH.pcx",
   glow_high_res:   "ShLekkTha/Minash/MalTak_HIGH_GLOW.pcx",
   glow:      "ShLekkTha/Minash/MalTak_GLOW.pcx",
   radius:       4.378e6,
   mass:       5.972e24,
   atmosphere:       (190,253,255),
   orbit:       2.00e10,

tilt: -45,
     tscale:  1,
   ring: "ShLekkTha/Rings/rings1.pcx",
   minrad: 1.1,
   maxrad: 1.3,

}

//
region:{
   name:        Minash,
   radius:      480e3,
   grid:         10e3,
   orbit:        14e6,
   asteroids:      0,
   inclination:    0.1,
}
//

//
planet:{
   name:       Harlar,
   image:       "ShLekkTha/Harlar/LOW.pcx",
   high_res:      "ShLekkTha/Harlar/HIGH.pcx",
   glow_high_res:   "ShLekkTha/Harlar/HIGH_GLOW.pcx",
   glow:      "ShLekkTha/Harlar/GLOW.pcx",
   radius:       3.378e6,
   atmosphere:       (185,214,255),
   orbit:       5.00e10,

tilt: -24,
   //ring: "ShLekkTha/Rings/rings1.pcx",
   //minrad: 0.6,
   //maxrad: 1.9,

}

//
   name:        Harlar,
   orbit:        12e6,
   inclination:    0.3,
}
//

//
Moon:{
   name:       Tarlash,
   image:       "ShLekkTha/Tarlash/LOW.pcx",
   high_res:      "ShLekkTha/Tarlash/HIGH.pcx",
   glow_high_res:   "ShLekkTha/Tarlash/HIGH_GLOW.pcx",
   glow:      "ShLekkTha/Tarlash/GLOW.pcx",
   radius:       1.378e6,
   atmosphere:       (165,129,93),
   orbit:       3.00e6,

tilt: -3,
   //ring: "ShLekkTha/Rings/rings1.pcx",
   //minrad: 0.6,
   //maxrad: 1.9,

}

//
   name:        Tarlash,
   orbit:        10e6,
   inclination:    0.4,
}
//

Planet textures I used are 2048x1024 and backgrounds are 1024x1024 on a modded skybox

The stars are generated by the SS engine

It might look complicated, but its really not, everything is SS is done by txt def files, and they are sooooo easy to edit.

The fact that each star system is made up of regons means stuff can be going on in any regon during the mission
for example the 500 release(that I"m hoping to beta out this week) has a mission where you startin hyperspace, then jump into a system, blow everything up, jump back to hyperspace, travel a bit, then jump back into that system but in a different regaon(planet orbit)

OF course its not perfect, I still hav eproblems with the ai getting lost in hyperspace.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 04:56:07 am by 2209 »
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Offline Bobboau

• Just a MODern kinda guy
    Just MODerately cool
    And MODest too
you guys might want to look into some detail mapping there, it's kid of hard to implement it in FSO becase of the screwy way materials are handeled, but I'd guess it's not such a problem for you guys, it would fix the bluryness as you get closer problem.
Bobboau, bringing you products that work... in theory
learn to use PCS
creator of the ProXimus Procedural Texture and Effect Generator
My latest build of PCS2, get it while it's hot!
PCS 2.0.3

DEUTERONOMY 22:11
Thou shalt not wear a garment of diverse sorts, [as] of woollen and linen together

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
It would be really nice if freespace figured out a way to do starshatter style planetary entry, that is one of the coolest parts of the game IMHO.