Author Topic: what the hack?!  (Read 3008 times)

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
I came in here expecting a single download.. will someone please explain to me WTF is will all these fragmented downloads that in no way total up to the datasize of fs1?

if it's what I think it is I could probably make an automatic installer NSIS for you
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Goober insists we keep everything seperate for the time being so it's easy to update. Once STR is released (any week now...) we'll put everything in one big zip.

As for the total datasize, the music, speech and CB anim files are all pretty hefty. Plus we don't have the movies up there.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
if you're pulling data out of the FS1 VP's and putting it up for download I can make a NSIS that will pull the data out of the VPs, combine it with your updated files and create new VPs out of that and stick them in \fsport

Offline Mad Bomber

• Booooom
Originally posted by Galemp
Goober insists we keep everything seperate for the time being so it's easy to update. Once STR is released (any week now...) we'll put everything in one big zip.

Will you have STR in a separate thing, still, for us slow dialup people?
"What the hell!? I've got a Snuffleupagus on my scanners! The Snuffleupagus is active!"

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
Kaz: That would be fantastic! Have it look for FS1 installs then extract and build the necessary data? A dream come true. :)

MadBomber: Yes, of course we will.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
Galemp: it would ask for the path to your fs1 install, and the path to your fs2 install and automatically chew on the data for a few minutes

i've already begun work on VPMake to support the required features

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
It's great to see all the progress happening on STR, all the stuff coming together. When you're talking about installers, you know things are coming good. :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
The reasons for the separate downloads are twofold:

1) Ease of updating.  The graphics files are not likely to change, but the missions and tables are pretty fluid, due to bugfixes and so forth.  With the separate files, we need only upload small fixes instead of a huge file.
2) Ease of downloading.  The only required file is the root VP; all the others are extra.  People with slow connections can download the small file with the required stuff and aren't forced to download megabytes of data they don't need.

If we had a utility to extract all the FS1 data files (cbanis, sounds, voice, etc.) that would be pretty handy.  I'd prefer not to have an installer, though.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
1) binary patches for VP files can be produced and autoinstallers made
2) this is a little more broken up than i would find... "acceptable" as an end-user

(IIRC the latest version of NSIS supports download-on-require installs... ie like netscape install)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
1) Well, that's a little more complicated than I'd like us to get into, at least for now.
2) You only have to download one file to use the FSPort... the root file.  The readme explains how to move the other files from FS1 to FS2, if that's what you'd prefer.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i can write the autoinstallers for you -- you tell run it, tell it your path to fs2port (IE fs2path\fsport or whatever) and it patches

and for new installs it can do a "select what options you want" then automatically download the [latest versions] of the required files and install them

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
Originally posted by Kazan
i can write the autoinstallers for you -- you tell run it, tell it your path to fs2port (IE fs2path\fsport or whatever) and it patches

and for new installs it can do a "select what options you want" then automatically download the [latest versions] of the required files and install them

That last option wouldn't fit dial-up tormented souls. Though the update (if you can download them on your own without an integrated d/l system) sounds good enough.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
flaser: it would be no more or less download for them - they don't select the high-bandwidth options and whala

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard