Author Topic: Babylon 5: Starship Commander Tactical Simulator  (Read 7041 times)

Offline Darkblade

• Lurker
    • The Babylon Project website
Babylon 5: Starship Commander Tactical Simulator
Man, what a name this project has but nevertheless it sounds pretty interesting.

A professor called Carlos Bott is currently making a game similiar to Taldren's Starfleet Command. The game itself is in early phase but there never is enough Babylon 5 games, especially tactical simulators.

You can find more info about the project on Botts homepage. Just follow the B5 logo on the lower left corner.
Mauri Darkblade Majanoja

Offline -Norbert-

G'Stan Warcruiser?
Well that person seems to lack in phantasy when he has to use G'Kars uncle for getting names for the ships.

So much for being cannon.

But for a "selfmade" game, not bad.
Maybe he should ask the IFH people if he can use their engine.

G'Sten is a ship from Babylon 5 Wars, a variant of the G'Karith Patrol Cruiser if I'm not mistaken.

PS - the same goes for every ship found on that list.

ya, it looks good, I'm throwing him some of the newer hold the line ships to use, since they are all scalable for texture sizes and poly counts.
Matris Games
Jason Blaz
Graphics Artist and 3D Modeler

Btw, for those who like Babylon 5 but don't know much about Babylon 5 Wars or the ships that go with it, here's a webpage which has some of the miniatures for the game with some fantastic paintjobs: http://go.to/avotg

Offline -Norbert-

Well I don't know how "cannon" B5 wars is, but there seems to be a lot of phatasy in.
A beam on a Narn fighter, a G'Quan armed heavier than the Bin'Tak, a ship that looks almos exactly like the imperial figther from "Starwars Rebel Assault 2", many different versions of the Hyperions but not the 2 seen in the show and Centauri ships that look more like subs from Aquanox than Centauriships from B5.

Well technically, in the main rulebook JMS had a forward which ended with: "What I'm saying, in this roundabout way, is that if you want the Real Deal, if you want accuracy, canonical authority, and the best of the best whe it comes to Babylon 5 licensing and gaming . . . you've come to the right place"

Technically though, B5Wars is about as canon as any other B5 product,  because most of them have horrendous continuity like Star Trek. While B5Wars tried to bring in elements from The Babylon Project RPG, something like the computer game Into the Fire essentially disregarded everything they said and did they're own thing (not that they ever finished it).

As for some of your specific references:
A - Beam on a Narn fighter? The Narn have two fighters, the Frazi and the Gorith and neither of them have beams on them (one has torpedoes).
B - There are no G'Quans with more armament than a Bintak, and the Bin'tak is an AoG product anyway. (Bintak has Mag Gun + 6 HLs, closest G'Quan has 4 HLs (G'Qounth)).
C - Not sure what ship you're talking about as I've never played the game.
D - Effects from the Hyperion are so inconsistent anyway.
E - I think a lot of Centauri ships look Centauri, some like the Kutai look very different. But at the same time, the Hyperion and Omega aren't exactly identical twins either so you can expect some variation.

B5wars rocks

what most people always forget, is everything you see in the show.. where the weapons come from, the damage they do , how fast the ships move, everything is done for ONE purpose, to advance the story
like jms said, the starfury will be as fast as the plot requires

they didnt sit around thinking... well.. we want to destroy this hyperion, but its gonna take x number of shots.. and it will get x number back.. and blah blah.. they would be like... what would look cool and dramatic.

Trying to balance a game based on what you have seen in a show is insane.. you balance it based on the spirit of the show.. the extrapolate from there

i"M very glad b5wars is around, and I use them as a lose reference, because once again, converting from a turn based 2d system into a real time 3d system can -not- be done without major changes.

Frankly I cant stand "cannon cops" lol, startrek has WAY to many of them in my opinion... change is what keeps things alive and good.. look at startrek.. it has barly changed since tng, and for the life of me I cant understand why anybody watches it, its sooooo boring these days.

lol I told a few people already if you are a hard core -it-must-be-exactly-like-the-show-no-changes dont download our mod.. cause your gonna get red with anger lol
Matris Games
Jason Blaz

Originally posted by -Norbert-
Well I don't know how "cannon" B5 wars is, but there seems to be a lot of phatasy in.
A beam on a Narn fighter, a G'Quan armed heavier than the Bin'Tak, a ship that looks almos exactly like the imperial figther from "Starwars Rebel Assault 2", many different versions of the Hyperions but not the 2 seen in the show and Centauri ships that look more like subs from Aquanox than Centauriships from B5.

And also, I have the B5 Wars books and I can tell you that there is no such beam fighter or G'Quan. A lot of people have made fan designs with control sheets to be used in B5 Wars but they aren't from AoG.

I assure you the most powerful Narn ship in B5 Wars is the Bin'Tak. And the Narns only have 3 fighters: the Gorith Medium Fighter, Tarza Torpedo Bomber and Frazi Heavy Fighter (From the series).

B5 Wars had special editors from JMS come in to canonize the information in the 2nd Edition book series, so what's in those books is canon. I can give you full lists of the B5 Wars ships for the Dilgar, Narn, EA, Minbari, Centauri, Shadows and Vorlons. AoG went under before I could purchase the League books so I have very little on their fleets.
Fear is the Mind-Killer...

B5 Wars had special editors from JMS come in to canonize the information in the 2nd Edition book series, so what's in those books is canon. I can give you full lists of the B5 Wars ships for the Dilgar, Narn, EA, Minbari, Centauri, Shadows and Vorlons. AoG went under before I could purchase the League books so I have very little on their fleets.

Did you check out http://b5wars.net ??? Agent1 from AoG has a bunch of stock that he's still selling (got it from a distributor). He may have some of the League stuff if you're interested in it. (look in the General forum, under the sticky thread with about 400 messages in it).

Offline Ashrak

• Not Banned
    • Imagination Designs
youd be better off modding sfc3
I hate My signature!

Offline -Norbert-

byAkalabeth Angel
A - Beam on a Narn fighter? The Narn have two fighters, the Frazi and the Gorith and neither of them have beams on them (one has torpedoes).

well then look at this link you posted http://go.to/avotg
Take a look at the Narn Gorith Variants.
There you'll see "Light Particle Beam"

B - There are no G'Quans with more armament than a Bintak, and the Bin'tak is an AoG product anyway. (Bintak has Mag Gun + 6 HLs, closest G'Quan has 4 HLs (G'Qounth)).

One of the G'Quan variant has 2 Mags. A weapon so powerfull, that even the mighty Bin'Tak has only one of them.
Ok it has less other weapons, but if even the Bin'Tak can have only one them theres no way a G'Quan can have 2 of them.

C - Not sure what ship you're talking about as I've never played the game.

I mean the Sho'Kar light scout cruiser.

E - I think a lot of Centauri ships look Centauri, some like the Kutai look very different. But at the same time, the Hyperion and Omega aren't exactly identical twins either so you can expect some variation.

It's not so much the kutai and more the balvarin. And if you build all your ships in one style, then it's unlikely that you change that style all of a sudden, unless you make a technological brakethrough (like EA did with Warlock). And EA builds ships for functionality, while the Centauri build very much for apearence too (which you can't say for Omega or Nova).
And also on Earth the Cooperations have much power. It is very likely, that the Omega and Hyperion (or their designs) are from different companies and therefore so different.

Ok maybe I was a little bit to harsh when I posted. I don't say it is a bad game, but it could have been better.
BTW the Brekiri ships really look cool.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 07:36:47 pm by 1400 »

Take a look at the Narn Gorith Variants.
There you'll see "Light Particle Beam"

Okay, one thing to know about B5Wars, just because it says "Beam" does not mean it fires as a beam. A lot of the names, and some of the game mechanics are fairly inaccurate.

For instance, a "beam" weapon in the FS2 sense would be comparable to the G'Quans Laser Cannons. Beam weapons have two general characteristics, they are Laser weapons and they are "Raking" weapons (the way in which they do damage). Laser weapons cannot be intercepted, and actually Raking weapons (a stream of damage like a laser) should not be interceptable either but it still only applies to lasers.

To make a long story short, from a B5Wars standpoint, and a FS2 standpoint, the Frazi or Gorith do not have "Beam" weapons. Not even the Minbari Nial has beam weapons (an Omega for instance, can 'shoot' down the attacks from a Nial). The only fighter with a beam weapon offhand is the Hyach Dartha which basically has a light ship laser.

One of the G'Quan variant has 2 Mags. A weapon so powerfull, that even the mighty Bin'Tak has only one of them. Ok it has less other weapons, but if even the Bin'Tak can have only one them theres no way a G'Quan can have 2 of them.

The variant you speak of, the G'Lan I believe has 2 Mags, 2 Medium Lasers and the normal AF weapons (4 Twin Arrays / 4 Light Pulse Cannons). It is a powerful ship, but it does not have more weapons than a Bin'Tak. It is a powerful ship but it's short ranged, which means other ships can cut it apart with long ranged fire before it even uses the Mag Guns.

The Ka'Toc Battle Destroyer has a 2 Heavy Lasers and a Mag Gun, and is smaller than the G'Quan as well. In the game it has the problem of having good long ranged and good short ranged weapons, which means the player doesn't know what to do with it. The Mag Gun is a sweet weapon, but it's not known to be overly large or anything. So it's really not too outrageous that these smaller ships would mount them. The core of the Bin'Taks firepower comes from its Heavy Lasers and the ballistic torpedoes I'd say. The Mag Gun is the coup de grace (finishing blow) for enemy ships really.

I mean the Sho'Kar light scout cruiser.

Ah, I gotcha. Well people will see similarities in a lot of different ships. Just look at the MOD forums, whenever someone posts something people say "hey, that looks like this ship" or something. Just as I'd say, "hey, the EA Warlock looks a lot like a piece of crap"

It's not so much the kutai and more the balvarin. And if you build all your ships in one style, then it's unlikely that you change that style all of a sudden, unless you make a technological brakethrough (like EA did with Warlock).

Ok maybe I was a little bit to harsh when I posted. I don't say it is a bad game, but it could have been better.
BTW the Brekiri ships really look cool.

Well, the Balvarin is kind of ugly, and no one ever really uses it too much anyway but I think it looks okay. I'm not really a fan of the Centauri ships at all myself, they're all kind of crappy though I like the Orieni-war period craft.

As with any venture, some things AoG has put out is not so hot, and some of it is. I think on the whole they've provided a lot of quality ships to the B5Wars universe. The Bin'Tak, the Brakiri Brokodas, the entire Dilgar Fleet, etcetera. I mean compare the Dilgar by AoG to the Dilgar by the Into the Fire computer game, and be glad we have B5Wars.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2004, 11:00:42 pm by 1332 »

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
Originally posted by DamoclesX
B5wars rocks

what most people always forget, is everything you see in the show.. where the weapons come from, the damage they do , how fast the ships move, everything is done for ONE purpose, to advance the story
like jms said, the starfury will be as fast as the plot requires

they didnt sit around thinking... well.. we want to destroy this hyperion, but its gonna take x number of shots.. and it will get x number back.. and blah blah.. they would be like... what would look cool and dramatic.

Trying to balance a game based on what you have seen in a show is insane.. you balance it based on the spirit of the show.. the extrapolate from there

i"M very glad b5wars is around, and I use them as a lose reference, because once again, converting from a turn based 2d system into a real time 3d system can -not- be done without major changes.

Frankly I cant stand "cannon cops" lol, startrek has WAY to many of them in my opinion... change is what keeps things alive and good.. look at startrek.. it has barly changed since tng, and for the life of me I cant understand why anybody watches it, its sooooo boring these days.

lol I told a few people already if you are a hard core -it-must-be-exactly-like-the-show-no-changes dont download our mod.. cause your gonna get red with anger lol

Hmmm, well you could stand to make the jumppoints look normal, other than that the HTL mods non-canon stuff looks nice.

Besides if you want true canon you can go and dl IFH.

Offline -Norbert-

I mean compare the Dilgar by AoG to the Dilgar by the Into the Fire computer game, and be glad we have B5Wars.

I didn't see any Dilgar ships on that page.
But surely they can't be worse than the ItF ones. They where described to struck fear to their enemys. When I saw a screenshot of the Dilgar Capship my first reactions were more like this
:wtf:  :lol:

Well there's some pictures on this page of some miniatures about half the way down: http://www.agentsofgaming.com/b5wstock.htm
Admittedly though, the paint jobs are kind of ugly and the ships look a lot better in the Dilgar War book put out for B5Wars. I don't think there was any computer art floating around on the net for them unfortunately.

EDIT - btw there's also a picture of the Hyach Dartha on this page http://www.agentsofgaming.com/b5wart.htm  
if anyone is interested (that's the one fighter I know of that would have a beam weapon on it) There's four fighters and three ships in that picture, with one of the fighters in the foreground lower-left if people get confused.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2004, 10:26:42 am by 1332 »

jumpgates are based of the new effects you saw in the last b5 productions.
Matris Games
Jason Blaz