Author Topic: Crash with fsport_music.vp  (Read 7554 times)

Crash with fsport_music.vp
For some reason, when I have the "fsport_music.vp" (16,384 bytes) file in my main Freespace 2 directory the game won't start. The screen goes black, then darker black, then quits back to desktop. No error messages or anything.

There's something in the errorlog.txt that's too long to post here. If anyone wants it I'll e-mail or PM it to them.

If I take this file out it works fine, the game loads up normally. But when it's in there, it won't start. Wierd, eh?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Are you using FSO?

Are you using the music table file for the added FS1 music?

If you've answered anything other than "yes" to either of these questions, therein likely lies your problem.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Aye.  The music table crashes retail.

I'll put this in the readme.  That way, when the next person askes, I can point and laugh at them for not checking the readme. :p

So, for people who bought the game, it doesn't work, and for people who effectively warezed the game, it works? That uh... makes.... no sense at all.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Freespace 2 Open is not warez.  Volition themselves released the source code, and the Source Code Project is a group effort to make improvements to their code.  The FS1 music feature is one of those improvements.

You need the full version of Freespace 2 to run FS2_OPEN anyhow.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
No, no.  Just download the FS2_Open exes and vp files.  On second thought, just go into the SCP forum and grab the 3.6 installer, but be sure to read the realease thread, because there is a known bug in it.  This has nothing to do with warez.  SCP is a legal enhancement of the original FS2 engine.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Aye. The music table crashes retail.

This means that if you installed the game normally it won't work. This also implies that it only works with warez, please word your sentences carefully.

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
Originally posted by Goober5000
Freespace 2 Open is not warez.  Volition themselves released the source code, and the Source Code Project is a group effort to make improvements to their code.  The FS1 music feature is one of those improvements.

You need the full version of Freespace 2 to run FS2_OPEN anyhow.

See above; Volition released the code. Therefore the public can do to it what it wants, the good ol' boys over at SCP have made the game better, allowing us to do stuff the game's original code didnt allow us to do.
In the future look around, find stuff out, at least wait until after you get into double digit posts to accuse us of doing illeagal stuff...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2004, 03:33:43 pm by 510 »
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
If it was warez this site would be shut down. It has not been shut down. Think about that.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
The operative word there is "think".
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Warez? WAREZ? I'LL KILL YOU, IGNORANT FOOL! I'LL KILL YOU!

DIE, DIE FOREVER! :mad2:  

Sorry, that was rude, inappropriate, and totally un-called for.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War
Yes, it was.

Now, when why is FSO suddenly be associated with warez, and who is this MeowMix guy?
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
MeowMix is the guy who, despite posts stating to the contrary, thinks that SCP is warez because the source code has been changed. Despite the fact that it WAS perfectly LEGAL to do that.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Night Hammer

• I Can't FRED
  • You'll shoot your eye out...
aka the moron
Stop... Hammertime :hammer:

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
All right, that's enough.  Thread split and closed.