Author Topic: New Project In The Worx  (Read 20769 times)

this sounds quite interesting and if i can help in anyway i can i will, but i cant model or anything, mabe my fredding skills may be of use but i dont know what opinions people have of it, ask and you shall recieve.

We need fredders, beta testers, story writers, tactitioners (mission tweakers), and tech chart people! Your in if you would like to start hammering away at this! Omin and myself are the only modellers we have at this time, but more will follow... Just need to get this thing started! I have a felling once it is started I dont think we will be able to stop it! LOL!

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
I can help with the .tbl entry and overall mission outlines. All you need to do is give a story, your weapons/ships requirements and that's it.

Oh, and another reason i was suggesting seperate campaign is for logistical reasons. We do not have enough ship.tbl entries to fit in everything into a single campaign. Putting in the federation and SW universe ships alone will fill it up, if you want to keep enough FS2 ships to count. If you want to include B5 or any other universe you're gonna get problems for sure.

However, this could be fixed if we had something similar to an inferno build, but then you risk not being up-to-date with all the latest SCP features, including the stuff required to run the hi-poly ships effectively. However, that I believe, is your call.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Or... Here is a thought.... Make equavalent ships... And use the swap model options... Where there is a will there is a way... We just have to make it where there are equal amount of turrets for ships of equal sizes, and from the same universe... So instead of naming the ship its actual name... We just use ST-Medium-Ship, or SW-Sup-Cap... Now... We have unlimited options! And when SCP finally fixes that grey area... We go from there!

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by stithe2000
Or... Here is a thought.... Make equavalent ships... And use the swap model options... Where there is a will there is a way... We just have to make it where there are equal amount of turrets for ships of equal sizes, and from the same universe... So instead of naming the ship its actual name... We just use ST-Medium-Ship, or SW-Sup-Cap... Now... We have unlimited options! And when SCP finally fixes that grey area... We go from there!

Not possible. Changing models only changes the models, not the weapons or any other data, including speed and movement and you'll end up having B5 ships fire trek phasers. For that you require change-ship-class, which again takes all the data from the table files.

Cant knock it until you try it. The weapons factor in the game can be changed in fred... The speed can be changed in fred... If we want to make this work, we have to think outside the box... Besides that... We have to keep positve, and try to be inventive... The SCP team will eventually catch up, and break all the areas that they are stuck on right now... Such as table entry limits, among the several other dozen little things we want to see....

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
A little something I threw together just now
Code: [Select]
Weapons:

To do:
general summary -WIP
observed power/energy/damage, other performance numbers
model to be used in FS2 engine
----------
Star Trek:
phaser:
beam or pulse configurations
disruptor:
beam or pulse configurations
weapon most commonly used by Starfleet's enemies
indications point to a general inferiority to phasers
photon torpedo:
possess variable yields, most likely for the purpose of antimatter conservation
quantum torpedo:
little indication that they are much more than a photorp set to 'blue'
generally more powerful than a photorp
phased-polaron beam:
Dominion weapon which pierces certain shield types, such as those mounted
by the Federation at the beginning of the war
Star Wars:
particle beam:
blaster:
details largely unknown
just make it a weak, low range laser for simplicity
laser:
not actually a laser
may produce ionization effect, see ion cannon
technically a lightspeed weapon (not photons, some other particle)
ramp-up time and visible bolt make a lower-speed bolt weapon a
reasonable model at short ranges
damage decreases slightly with range
turbolaser:
same as laser, but longer range/less damage decrease with range
bulkier, more power comsuming than a laser
ion cannon:
possibly a bit slow
even very heavy weapons do little to no damage to armor
very effective at burning out equiv-tech computerized systems
some unsubstantiated claims of equiv-tech shield piercing
missile:
concussion missile:
variety of sizes, yields, performance
typically armor piercing, with omnidirectional blast
proton torpedo:
variety of sizes, yields, performance
may be omnidirectional or directed blast
bombs (various):
lack main propulsion, but may have guidance thrusters
wide variety of yields
Babylon 5:
laser:
combination particle beam/xaser
commonly used by younger races, such as the EA and Narn
the minbari use 'fusion lasers' which are probably just a more powerful variation
particle beam:
wide variety, many of which are undefined
particle pulse weaponry:
interceptors:
specialized cannons capable of disrupting equiv-tech pulse, missile,
and beam (?) weapons fire mid-flight
effective against equiv-tech starfighters
offensive cannon:
tend to fire very slow-moving pulses in comparison to beam weaponry
that these weapons are used at all almost certainly indicate that they
are more powerful than comparable beam weapons available to a
given military
among the minbari, the shadows, and vorlons, only shadow small craft
use pulse weapons
missiles:
most are slow enough that they are not heavily relied upon
both starfighter-mounted and capital-grade weapons are used
the younger races generally prefer missile weapons against ground targets
smaller weapons are almost certainly conventional
firepower of larger missiles?
minbari capship missiles are known to use 20 MT warheads
tactical nuclear devices:
in use by the younger races, such as the EA and Narn, on special occasions
generally just warheads, seemingly more likely to be used as bombs than mounted
on missiles
seem to be in the 1-1000 MT range generally, with a 500 MT device considered
very powerful by the younger races
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Cool! Have you gotten an idea of nominal yield on them yet?

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Some I can do off the top of my head, but most require at least confirmation, and some will need fairly thorough research. Mostly I want to get a list up first of what weapons will be used. Please feel free to suggest anything I might have missed; that's easier than trying to think of it myself.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Originally posted by stithe2000
Cant knock it until you try it. The weapons factor in the game can be changed in fred... The speed can be changed in fred... If we want to make this work, we have to think outside the box... Besides that... We have to keep positve, and try to be inventive... The SCP team will eventually catch up, and break all the areas that they are stuck on right now... Such as table entry limits, among the several other dozen little things we want to see....

Yeah, utilizing several more SexPs in the process. we DO have a limit on SexP nodes you know, along with problems with complexity (FS2 doesnt like that much stuff, especially in BoE missions).

But as you said, it can all be worked around, so not much of an issue. its something we'll beat when we get to it.

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Hey guys has there been one forum/thread or website picked out for  the Universes project (to get organized).

I've gone through my "all mod" folder and boy what a mess. IF you want I'll list what ship(and origin) I have in it. These will be seperate from Robotech or Trek ships slated for the mods I am working on (ie ships available but not used will be listed under Trek ALL, my project will be Trek MOD. I've already started seperating .pof by universe., categories are Wars, Trek, B5, Custom, BSG, Other. Don't know if you were planning on including anime ships? I stick those under other (like harlock,gundam) How about the Robotech mod?)

L8tr!
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

I have a temporary area set aside for the website... However, HLP will not support until we have more for them to see... I showed them pix, and that was not enough for them... I have heard from a couple of people that this is not uncommon... For now... We just hammer away where we can! Will be doing the site in Flash 5... That way we can go all out with graphics interaction! More on this later!

ok.... This week I am going to be working on the site... Hopefully it will be up soon... How are things going? Are there any new ideas? :)

OK! It is official.... I have our own private forums up, and running! www.stithe.com... Lets kick this thing off! :)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Dude, bad link. You wanted http://www.stithe.com
Sorry I haven't done more, I'm not doing so well in school at the moment.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 07:54:55 pm by 1132 »

www.stithe.com       guess it would help to get all the periods away from it!!! hehehe! sorry!

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor

I updated your membership on there... you should see the internal forum now!

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Gah, I forgot to e-mail myself my file, and it'll be days before I'm back in my dorm room. And me with all this free time on my hands. Guess I'll make do.