Author Topic: New Project In The Worx  (Read 20768 times)

New Project In The Worx
First off.... Please excuse me for posting in your part of the forums... I am part of TPB team, but I am spinning off my own mod.. It is a pretty bold mod, and will bring a very good twist to the FS2 modding community.... It is called FreeSpace 2 Universes: When Universes Collide.  It is an extreme what if mod that brings all of the major mods together... Star Trek, Star Wars, B5, FS2, Battlestar Galatica, and many more will be attempted to be seen in this mod... It is in it's infant stages right now, but I have a few pix to show the insane fun I am offering...

The klingon brid of prey is brand new, and I made her myself... She has 5 LODs, 3k+ poly on LOD0, and is stable... Have all shine, glow, and detailed textures... She even has here own effects and AI.... I have her very close to movie/ series quality.... I am working on a stable death star, and have a non-turret working model done... I made her bout a year and a half ago... I would like to help you with your models... To help bring them to movie like quality... I am also working with TBP crew, and will be sharing my time equally amongst mods... I hope your team would be interested in helping to bring this mod to life! I am going to be getting web support in bout 4 months... This project is at it's infant stages.... Thanx for your time in advance! Stithe2000

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Err, heya. Kudos on the BOP (though you could have just grabbed Omniscaper's one you know :p).

We're always looking for new modellers and texturers - I'm sure Karma will be along shortly.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
that BoP is even better than Omniscapers O_O
(no offence intended Omni)
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Well.... I did her from scratch guys! It took bout a week of putting her together... Thx for the feedback!

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Are all those models yours? For example the ISD looks VERY familiar to me, it is likely that is the Star Destroyer that was released for FS1. I don't know the other worlds, only FS and Star Wars, so I can't tell any opinion on the others.
We would be glad to apply you as a modeller, if you insist on joining.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Oh. Oh my god. Do you have any idea what you have just gotten yourself into? Versus arguments have a distinct tendency to bring the lowest common denominator of sci-fi fan out into the open. Even if you have your own vision of how you want this crossover mod to be and have the capacity to control/ignore/ban the sort of flame wars that tend to spring up around such things, actually creating a finished project is going to be balancing hell. That is, unless you take the braindead, stupid, all too common way out by making all things equal, and thereby totally erasing the point of having a crossover and eliminating anything interesting about the mod. OTOH, if you're just making a ship pack and not a campaign to go with it, it shouldn't be that hard - it's just going to take some getting used to by anyone who tries to make a mission with it.

Oh, and are you doing old BSG or new BSG?

Anyway, I can't quite tell here, but just tell me if I understand correctly - what you do not want to do is to create the whole thing from scratch. Instead, you're posting all over the place because you want to help the individual universe mods out with modeling/texturing in exchange for permission to combine their work and then balance them. If so, good, starting from scratch would take so long you're almost sure not to finish, and offering concrete evidence of your capacity and willingness to help the existing mods is certainly the most reasonable approach I've seen yet to this sort of thing.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Not only does he ask permission to use our models, he also wants to join and help us. This is mutual.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline Lynx

But yeah, crossovers are a very controversial issiue. There are many people (like me) whose love foe them can only be measured in negative amounts.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

That pic with the SD was taken bout 2 years ago when I was learning how to mod... And the Millenium Falcon I created from scracth, she was one of my first... That pic was before the SCP, but the one with the BoP is very recent using the SCP...
I am not going to making every thing equal, but I am taking into heavy condsieration the physics between each universes.... And yes... There will be a campaign, but it is a what if type of deal which will need a lot of stories to go along with it...
Lastly, I would like to use each model from each major mod yes, but on the same token examine them and help to add more to them... I will not mess with any ones model without their consent, but I hope at least a vew new things will be tried out!
As for the flame wars, they just forgot how to be a big kid, and just have fun! Or they are being a big kid, and throwing a tantrom.... What I am offering is a chance to experience the what if senario! It will be fun!

Go for it. Don't be a pessimist Lynx. Give it a chance :)
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
Soooooo you have a millenium falcon made by you both models and textures and already converted for fs2???????
OUCH!!
can we see more pics please:D?

BTW we badly need someone to work on gallofree transport and/or nebulon-b frigate. Are you interested?
As for our ships, I surely will give permission to use all my own ships, but I can't do that for third party models.

On a side note, that BOP is wonderful;)

Thanx for the compliment for the BoP... I am almost done with the Galaxy Class Federation ship... I'll have pix up soon on that... as for the Falcon the model I have is 2 years old, and I am aiming to redo her... However you are more than welcome to take a look at her... And sure... I'll have a go.... I have a few other models I am working on right now though, but I will knock them out if no one else has!

Here is the Falcon... Have to dig her out, and get some new shots outta her... She is an oldy, but she looks nice for one of my 1st pof models! In that shot it ws shooting at Shivans and a Tie Fighter!

Offline Lynx

Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
Go for it. Don't be a pessimist Lynx. Give it a chance :)

I just hate them. Can't do a thing against it. Maybe it's a side effect of hating SpaceBattles, tho.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Lynx: You would be a perfect beta tester.... The reason why is because you would stay true to the universe you like best, and would make sure everthing stays true to what you know towards that universe! Whats the worst that could happen? You have a good time, or you simply delete the mod if you dont like it! :)

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Well, seeing as you're obviously serious about this, might I ask what sort of views you hold on the tech for B5, ST, and SW, in general terms, and with an emphasis on firepower?

I'm a long-time SDnet resident, if that tells you anything.
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

OK... Good question, and one that will be looked at and fiddled with heavily.... Here is the consideration of the universes...
B5: Heavy Hulls and good weapons... Fighters maneuver well, but big ships are mostly sluggish.... The few that do move well at all have medium to light armour... This applies to the younger races that I have seen in the series... As for the vorlons, and shadows... Almost all there ships (except for their huge ships) move very well.... Shadows very very well.... Adaptive hulls, and excellent weapons.... More on that later, and it is up for more debate later I am sure!
Star Trek: Heavy shileds, good engine systems, very adaptive, and good weapon systems, but medium to light hulls.... CLOAK being a biggy, for it is used more in this galaxy than the others...
Lastly they have the photon and quantom torps... Those will come into heavy play, and effects... Most of the ships they have are cruisers, or caps anyways, so they bring a big plus to their aresonal! Plus lets not forget the Borg...
Star Wars: Their big ships maneuver well, and are very well armoured... Weapon systems are pretty heavy as well... The use a mild shield system (deflectors) The smaller ships have extreme speeds and maneuvering... Then their is the "force", and the death star to consider as well.... Lets not forget the mind boggling numbers the empire has aquired... And considering how star wars is based... It may have more advancements than the other galaxies...
I am sure their is a dozen more things that can be pointed out, and exploited... That will be covered over time.... Big things are getting the models done... effects... textures... then we can balance out the tables as the missions are being built to tell  the stories that will unfold! That is why I need help from everyone! To keep it true, or at least close to true to all these universes to create that unique experience that this calls for!

Offline KARMA

• Darth Hutt
    • http://members.fortunecity.com/aranbanjo
btw, I think that you'll surely have permission to use the ST ships converted by omniscaper, since they are released to public.
check the freespace modding section for em

New Galaxay in the worx