Author Topic: Finding a copy of FreeSpace...  (Read 2810 times)

Finding a copy of FreeSpace...
ok... I'm getting the impression that you can't download the ISO's that are offered in the other thread so where can I find FreeSpace?  I have the open source version already but I'd really like to get the full versions... if you could help out I'd appreciate it...

thanks, Tyson

ps... oh yeah i'm new here =)

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
actually you can download the ISOs since FS2 is hosted on home of the underdogs, which is a website you can download abandoned games (like that are 7 years old+ generally)

Unless you want to look for it on ebay for $100

:welcome:
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Apparently it's available over Amazon... if you're willing to pay $60 American...jeebus - some guy's trying to sell it for almost $200...

Err... maybe you should just go ahead and grab those isos...
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

thats what i was looking for =)  thanks for the link... i'll set up a torrent in a few days to see if there's any interest (after a few download the torrent speeds can really pick up)...

Torrent is evil, Mule is good.

If i were you i would get them from the latter, since there are already a bunch of full sources available. And i can share mine if needed, i have all 3 ISOs.
And welcome to HLP.
:p
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Cabbie

Originally posted by Black Wolf
jeebus - some guy's trying to sell it for almost $200...

I recall some guy was claiming he has a rare DVD edition of Freespace thus charging something that high.  I'm not really familiar with how Freespace was distributed but was really there a DVD edition?

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Welcome to HLP, Tyson. :)

:welcome:
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Tyson? Might wanna check up that one Steak. :p

And yes, there definitely was a dvd version of FS1, it had some weird afterburner trail effects and suchlike. FS2, I don't think there was though.
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

torrent is evil?  i LOVE bittorrent =)  it's helped me get some shows i've been looking for anywyas (i'm into phish, grateful dead, other jam, i had a link to some of the shows i have in my profile if anybody is interested)... if people who download the files then share the files (share as much as you download is the general rule) it can be wicked quick... i could see all 3 iso's being had in little over 2 hours if more than just 4 or 5 people were looking for the iso's and everybody was honest... which i think is quick for a couple gigs ... but who knows, i don't know anything about mule (except gov't mule), just felt like i needed to defend torrents since i love em' so =)

ok... i've downloaded all 3 iso's and mounted them to their own drive with daemon (F:, G:, & H:) i've also tried running each from teh same drvie by mounting and then unmounting ... the first ISO starts the download like it's supposed to and gets it's part of the install finished but when I try to install from ISO 2 I get a componentmovedata error... any ideas?  do i need to burn the ISO's to disk or should daemon work?  thanks for the help...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Daemon Tools should have worked there. I've never tried it with FS2 but I've never had a case of it failing where writing the CD worked. It's possible that your download got corrupted somehow though.

Try a minimal install and see if that works. You can always download the missing VP files from the site.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

the minimal install worked... oh well... guess i can always just mount the iso's

goodness... thanks by the way =)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A full FS2 install will have the following VP files in the main Freespace2 folder.

# root_fs2.vp
# sparky_fs2.vp
# sparky_hi_fs2.vp
# stu_fs2.vp
# tango1_fs2.vp
# tango2_fs2.vp
# tango3_fs2.vp
# smarty_fs2.vp
# warble_fs2.vp

Have a look on CDs 2&3 for the missing ones and drag them across. You can get the remaining missing ones from the same place you got the ISOs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Luigi30

I got my FS from K-Mart for $10.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Tyson? Might wanna check up that one Steak. :p

And yes, there definitely was a dvd version of FS1, it had some weird afterburner trail effects and suchlike. FS2, I don't think there was though.

There was a FS2 DVD, at least according to the person on GameTZ who offered it to me, sealed and in mint condition, for $225. If I had that kind of money, I'd have bought it. :p

Apparently it's available over Amazon... if you're willing to pay $60 American...jeebus - some guy's trying to sell it for almost $200...

Err... maybe you should just go ahead and grab those isos...

I got my copy of fs2 at amazon for $20.

You can now make a request to download a Freespace 1/2 ISO or VP file at Game Warden

Offline Kamikaze

• A Complacent Wind
    • http://www.nodewar.com
Science alone of all the subjects contains within itself the lesson of the danger of belief in the infallibility of the greatest teachers in the preceding generation . . .Learn from science that you must doubt the experts. As a matter of fact, I can also define science another way: Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts. - Richard Feynman