Author Topic: help i cant install fs2 anymore wtf!!!  (Read 1859 times)

help i cant install fs2 anymore wtf!!!
Hi i just tried to install fs2 on my new athlon 64 system i get an error message saying:

16 bit Windows Subsystem,

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications. Choose 'close' to terminate the application.
                      CLOSE               IGNORE

i tried hitting ignore but it dont do nothin.

im running standard windows xp professional, not running any 64 bit software - am very confused why cant i install my fave game nymore wtf??

HELP!!!

16 bit programs dont work in a AMD64 environment.
Does anyone know if FS2 is dependant on a 16 bit windows program?

AMD athlon 64 runs 32 bit software too, its the installer that fails to run and gives that error message. Which retard put fs2 in a 16 bit installer.
ffs
i dont understand this at all, im using the same pissing version of windows as everyone else, why should it matter......

i went browsing on google by pasting error into it, some forum said to goto c:\windows\repair copy autoexec.nt from there into the c:\windows\system32 folder, then try running program again.

FS2 setup worked straight away woohooo!!

windows is lame, and i dont get why that would have fixed it but nevermind.....

Offline redmenace

hmm this illustrates a problem for us. Maybe fractux can create an replacement installer for the fs2 cds.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Yea, like wtf.  Thats crazy.
Why diddnt gates fix that in the first place. I bet your glad you got it working though!

yeah much relief and happyness hehe

i wonder if these scp genius' are gonna make an athlon 64 build of fs2 , that would be awesome

Offline redmenace

whew, thank goodness. By the way, I thought the 64 bit version of windows hadn't been released yet.
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by redmenace
whew, thank goodness. By the way, I thought the 64 bit version of windows hadn't been released yet.

There are Beta releases out there.

Originally posted by xenobyte6666
i wonder if these scp genius' are gonna make an athlon 64 build of fs2 , that would be awesome

Apparently, it can be done, if whoever compiles a build has the A64 SDK (IIRC), but thusfar there is little demand for such a build.  If you (and just you) ask for such a build, odds are the coders will advise you to attempt it yourself, since one can learn to compile a build (just ask redmenace) on one's own.  If however, you can get on the good side of a coder with access to an A64 system, you may be able to get them interested enough to do it.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
I don't have access to Win64 (I'm not going to grab warez) but I'm using it natively in 64-bit Linux.  The basics are there and I just have to add in a few more changes to CVS whenever I think about it.  No ASM has been converted but it could be compiled without it easily (it's not used in the Linux version either) without loss of functionality.  Beyond that the compiler should take care of the remaining optimization.  If you've got Win64 and compatible SDKs just define IAM_64BIT and it may work.  I'll try to get the last CFILE change and a couple of GR changes in during the next updates I make.  Don't know what's involved with getting D3D working, if any changes are needed.  Networking isn't tested but plenty of changes have been made so that it works on OSX and that code should handle the type size differences.  That's all part of the Linux code tree though and not publicly available yet, but will be before too much longer.

I'm running 32bit XP on my AMD64, and FS works on it too.

The framerates are only held back by Vsync, so I doubt I need the optimalisation for now.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
That error is caused by one of the two possible reasons:
- Windows XP Service Pack 2. Known to cause this problem with even 32bit applications.
- A virus/malware. There was some malware at some point which caused this.

The solution xenobyte6666 found is relevant to the SP2 problem.

And for you uneducated out there, Athlon 64 is not like Intel's Itanium and can run both 16 and 32 bit applications just fine. Even upcoming 64-bit Windows XP can run 32-bit software. Yes, there is already 64-bit Windows but that's for Intel Itanium CPU's and it does not run on any other CPU and is extremely slow to run any other than 64-bit apps.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2004, 03:01:13 am by 173 »