Author Topic: *****ing betty?  (Read 4758 times)

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
as if splicing two .wave files together required any coding
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
As Drew pointed out, you can always merge sounds. (See Audacity)

I'm not terribly interested in leaping back into the development stream right now anyway. I just suggested it as a way of saving yourself the effort to rewrite a virtually identical system for sounds (Of course, if you want to have some fun with copy-paste on the code that's in there, be my guest. It's pretty simple - an array of structs with the pointer to the one to currently display, along with a bit more complex of a system to allow easy adding of gauges.)
-C

Offline Drew

http://home.comcast.net/~ksickafoose/hosted/Alert_3.wav

simple test

Just took the missle lockon warning sound and added the *****in betty's "warning"  Sounds decent ingame. I filtered out the noise in the backround so quality is a little lower, then added a mechanize effect. took me about half an hour, but i had never used goldwave before.

to test it in mission, just drop it into your fs2 main dir and play a mission where you get locked on alot.
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
At least we won't hear constantly:

"Maximum angle of attack"

etc

:D
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
wing commander was supposed to have b1tching betty... but i never heard her
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Originally posted by FireCrack
^

PULL UP!!! PULL UP!!! OH MY GOD I'M GONNA FKING DIE!!!! PULL UP YOU BASTARD!!!!!!

DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!  HIT YOUR BURNERS PILOT! :D
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Ulala

• Groooove Evening, viewers!
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
I am a revolutionary.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Goober5000
Ship specific would be a pain in the neck.  Content yourself with species-specific for the time being. :p

Just make a bunch of voice files or sound files with whatever events you think are sufficient.  I'll add as many triggers as I receive files for.

And yes, it'll be implemented via a table.

k.

I managed to find someone willing to do voice, I'll try and de-diddly up a list of events tonight.... offhand I'm thinking at least tones/voices for engine wash ("chop"), proximity alert on warpout ("proximity abort"), hull<20% (not sure on phrase "critical" maybe), targeted enemy destroyed (bit iffy.... is an audio cue needed to convery this?), warpout aborted ("abort"),  shield down ("port / starboard / front / rear shield down")...um....

Anyways, still thinking.  Very busy at the mo, natch :)

Originally posted by Drew

couldnt you just edit the .wav files already in the .vps?

Like during lockon instead of that beep sound just splice the *****in betty voice into the file.  beep....."lockon succesfull" type deal....

I was thinking of stuff not already covered by the existing sounds.   Offhand, for example, I don't think there's a warning tone or sound for engine wash, etc.  I need to somehow clean up my FS2 directory and find the time to play it to make a definitive list & see what people think.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 03:53:08 am by 181 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I'd go with either "[quadrant] shield failure" or "collapse".  Others that come to mind:
  • Afterburner depletion
  • weapon depletion (primary, secondary bank, all secondaries)
  • [subsystem] offline/destroyed
  • subspace drive malfunction (broken)
  • "Incoming message" for campaigns without voice

I'll post up more if I think of them.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Not too many, though; don't want to overload the player with soundclips.  Weapon depltion, I think, should be sufficiently self evident.

It isn't all of the time, you know. Especially when you have 2 banks of tempests and the thing autoswitches to the next.
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by kasperl
It isn't all of the time, you know. Especially when you have 2 banks of tempests and the thing autoswitches to the next.

I know, but the one thing you do not want is these sound clips to be overlaid; because that would be ****ing annoying.

Offline Lynx

That's cool especially for TBP.
But I can imagine it getting pretty annoying after some time.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Option screen?

Or perhaps a table configurable thingy?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Alan Bolte

• Deneb III
    • @Compellor
Probably have it off by default, it's best in my mind to give the player something as close as possible to the original Freespace experience (with better graphics, etc) if you just install and play. Option screen item would probably be good though, at least from the viewpoint of pandering to the lowest common user. I'm not sure what your philosophy is on that.

Avoiding literally overlaid BB soundclips is easy enough if you code up a que for them. The issue then becomes having multiple clips in que and getting the last one a bit late.

"Secondaries depleted."

"Incoming message."

"Hull critical."

Perhaps each clip should have a priority attached to it?
Anything worth doing is worth analyzing to death -Iranon

Offline Drew

Some missions have messages every other second, "Incoming message"  would be annoying

THere already is an annoying sound for secondarys depleted.... it sounds like "DuChunK" and gets the message across.

Hull critical and screaming and flashing would be cool. if 3d cockpits were written in, you could have flashin lights on the control panel too.  

THere needs be a hardcoded button to turn the thing off an on.

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by aldo_14

k.

I managed to find someone willing to do voice, I'll try and de-diddly up a list of events tonight.... offhand I'm thinking at least tones/voices for engine wash ("chop"), proximity alert on warpout ("proximity abort"), hull<20% (not sure on phrase "critical" maybe), targeted enemy destroyed (bit iffy.... is an audio cue needed to convery this?), warpout aborted ("abort"),  shield down ("port / starboard / front / rear shield down")...um....

Um... might need to put the list on the backburner; I have to finish a lot of work before I go down to London *hack spit* next week.