Author Topic: *****ing betty?  (Read 4752 times)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
(ala this)

Did anyone ever consider writing this in (i.e. audio voice warnings as well as the visual cues for lock-on, hull damage, etc)?

I wouldn't imagine it'd be too complex; presumably there's already a set of if clauses that control the visual stuff for the hud interface, so what ould you need (set of voice files, some form of tbl to define their names-or even just use the synth; I presume there's already some form of easily accessible audio playback method / code / function)?
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 05:39:14 am by 181 »

You mean like this:
"Terrain, Terrain"

"BANG"

?
just another newbie without any modding, FREDding or real programming experience

you haven't learned masochism until you've tried to read a Microsoft help file.  -- Goober5000
I've got 2 drug-addict syblings and one alcoholic whore. And I'm a ****ing sociopath --an0n
You cannot defeat Windows through strength alone. Only patience, a lot of good luck, and a sledgehammer will do the job. --StratComm

Offline Lynx

Should be all be doable by simple sexp's as far as I know.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
it would be nice if you didn't have to, though.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Lynx

The effort is negligible, unless you have hundreds of lines for the computer to say.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It shouldn't be hard to add... the problem is getting someone to record the voice or audio cues.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Lynx
Should be all be doable by simple sexp's as far as I know.

Yep, but what I figured was that the code implementation would (should) be simple enough to do. (going on a rule that sexp alternatives should be used where it's easier to SEXP it in)

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot myself (been meaning to learn C++ for a while now, twould be a nice task to begin learning with), it's just difficult to find the time and tools for it ATM.

Originally posted by Lynx
The effort is negligible, unless you have hundreds of lines for the computer to say.

Well, not really IMO.  The idead being to emphasise the parts of the interface you may miss if you are focused on surviving... like your rear shields going down, or when there are missiles closing in, etc.

Besides whichI think it'd be cool; add more immersion / sense of being in a cockpit :D

Originally posted by Goober5000
It shouldn't be hard to add... the problem is getting someone to record the voice or audio cues.

I think I know a few people who can.  Or using the voice synthesis support that I think RandomTiger added (apologies if it was someone else).

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Whip up a few voice files and I'll add them in.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Whip up a few voice files and I'll add them in.

Need to work up which & how many voice files are required, surely?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Can you make it so that the persona of the *****ing betty is configrable by a table similar to the personas table?

It would be nice to have different voices for different ships (at least one terran and one vasudan is a must really).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lynx

Originally posted by aldo_14

Besides whichI think it'd be cool; add more immersion / sense of being in a cockpit :D

3d cockpits would help there, too.:nervous:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2004, 03:57:48 pm by 1264 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
Can you make it so that the persona of the *****ing betty is configrable by a table similar to the personas table?

It would be nice to have different voices for different ships (at least one terran and one vasudan is a must really).

Species specific makes sense (well, it depends on how far the GTVA cockpits are dual species, I suppose... ), I'm not sure if ship-specific is really necessary though.

IMO.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Put in a table and it's pretty easy to do both :D

The reason why I ask for a ship specific one (which even better can be set in FRED rather than the ships table) is that it allows you to have a co-pilot onboard and use the *****ing betty code to supply a lot of his speech for you.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Ship specific would be a pain in the neck.  Content yourself with species-specific for the time being. :p

Just make a bunch of voice files or sound files with whatever events you think are sufficient.  I'll add as many triggers as I receive files for.

And yes, it'll be implemented via a table.

Offline Grimloq

• Backslash enthusiast
how about your co-pilot  yelling them at you? isnt that his job? :p
A alphabetically be in organised sentences should words.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
^

PULL UP!!! PULL UP!!! OH MY GOD I'M GONNA FKING DIE!!!! PULL UP YOU BASTARD!!!!!!
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Ship specific would be a pain in the neck.  Content yourself with species-specific for the time being. :p

Just make a bunch of voice files or sound files with whatever events you think are sufficient.  I'll add as many triggers as I receive files for.

And yes, it'll be implemented via a table.

Make it settable in the custom hud gauges table. The ship-specific variable loading should already be there, you can just add a nonvisible HUD gauge and then use the text variable to get the filename for the sound.
-C

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
Originally posted by aldo_14
(ala this)

Did anyone ever consider writing this in (i.e. audio voice warnings as well as the visual cues for lock-on, hull damage, etc)?

I wouldn't imagine it'd be too complex; presumably there's already a set of if clauses that control the visual stuff for the hud interface, so what ould you need (set of voice files, some form of tbl to define their names-or even just use the synth; I presume there's already some form of easily accessible audio playback method / code / function)?

couldnt you just edit the .wav files already in the .vps?

Like during lockon instead of that beep sound just splice the *****in betty voice into the file.  beep....."lockon succesfull" type deal....
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Oh.  Hmm.  Well, maybe you should code this then. :)