Author Topic: 3.6.5 Beta Test  (Read 7816 times)

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
odd....now the problem's gone (but the disconess is still there)

(perhaps I should really consider putting that song there)

edit: nope, still there. Got crashed out of FS2 when a window prompt me in the background, and the problem came back when i re-ran FS2.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2004, 06:36:18 am by 1259 »
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by xenobyte6666
*Waits Patiently for VPmage*

VPMage
A guide on using it
-C

3.6.5 works great, even works good in 1240*1024, the only problems i could see were blue lines on edges of menu' screens, and the lines in the command animations were off.  In Actual game screen, hud etc .... were all fine.

Also had a play with bobs cockpit, and had that working, it looks soooo pretty :D

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Turn off -pcx32. Blue lines gone.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
issue with FRED2:

dragging the left mouse button while moving around to select ships no longer works properly. 90 % of the time I am unable to select any ship if im viewing them from an angle, and hte only one I can select just happens to be the player's ship.

Rendering in FRED appears to be ok, but on hi poly models (especially the Deimos) it doesn't render the hull properly and im left with either nothing, or the outline of the top turrets. Waypoints are still screwed, as well as the breifing Icons.

FSO: I get random errors when it comes to playing inside the nebula, but the disco bug seems to go away if i switch off -env. But the out of memory error still appears to come and go at random (as reported by someone else while playing through my campaign).

Otherwise: pretty good so far. FS2 is running decently at hi-res on my 9200, but then I got all the sweet stuff installed, so it looks good to. I can actually get 20-30 FPS where I used to get only 5-10! :D

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Singh
Rendering in FRED appears to be ok, but on hi poly models (especially the Deimos) it doesn't render the hull properly and im left with either nothing, or the outline of the top turrets. Waypoints are still screwed, as well as the breifing Icons.

I can confirm this.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
But the out of memory error still appears to come and go at random (as reported by someone else while playing through my campaign).

This only happens for you with your campaign though right?  It just happens randomly during any of the missions or in a particular one?  Or is it on mission load?  With or without the MediaVPs?

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
it doesn't occur on any non-nebula mission. I have yet to try a different nebula mission to confirm this though. As the entire campaign is based in the nebula (except for one subspace mission) and if its a problem with the neb, then it could occur throughout the campaign.

I'll check with the FS2 campaign first tho, and see if im getting it.

Offline Sesquipedalian

• Atankharz'ythi
The Launcher freaks out about not being able to load the flag file when I select this build.  This doesn't happen with Goober's 20041215 build.
Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

The Scroll of Atankharzim | FS2 syntax highlighting

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You're missing the 3 .dll files that came with taylors builds. Simply get one of those builds and add the .dlls to your main FS2 folder and the build will work again.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
now im getting this error when trying to get into a mission:

Error: Out of memory.  Try closing down other applications, increasing your
virtual memory size, or installing more physical RAM.

Try reinstalling FS2? That worked for me. I'm downloading 3.6.5 now. I shall try it and give you grief. :D Why is the exe bigger than the VP?
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Sesquipedalian
The Launcher freaks out about not being able to load the flag file when I select this build.  This doesn't happen with Goober's 20041215 build.

Which flag?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Not flag. Flag file. Almost all of the newer exe's have a built in feature that tells the launcher what flags are supported by the executable. When a file is missing an executable, the launcher gives a warning. Sometimes multiple warnings.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
You guys have done it again. Great work, guys! I haven't actually tried everything out yet, i was testing mission 2 for pathways.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Ranavin

Initial thoughts and observations -
- Performance is good, even with zpack, kpack, and aseffects and everything set to highest.
- Load times are hideous, especially compared to stock FS2 or FS2O-3.6.0.
- Speaking of load times, the loading bar (which never indicated load progress terribly well to begin with) is now even worse; it stays with the first '-' filled until it's done loading, then fills the entire bar instantly and drops into the briefing. It would be nice if that were fixed, someday.
- There's brief delays in the shell and in the actual mission; it seems to be loading graphics and models that it didn't cache to begin with (it happens when a previously unseen ship hypers in, or a weapon is used for the first time, etc). This is, as expected, much worse when -snd_preload isn't used.
- in OGL mode, whenever a 'window' pops up (for example "are you sure you want to abort the mission" or "are you sure you want to quit the game"), the background becomes a shimmering, solid color - usually green or red, but I've seen yellow and orange as well. 3.6.0 did this as well. It returns to normal when the window is removed.
- D3D mode doesn't work on my box! It tries to read *NULL and segfaults. It did work in 3.6.0, and specs are here. It doesn't give any special error window even with the debug build, just the generic windows 'illegal operation' message.
Symptoms: game starts up normally (splash screen), then minimizes itself (again, 3.6.0 did this as well in D3D mode). Upon restoration the screen goes white, then it crashes.
(Stack dumps, dxdiag output, etc have been omitted to save space; I can upload them somewhere tomorrow if needed. Pity I can't toss it into gdb and get you a core and a real stack trace.)
Errorlog:
fs2_open_d-T365 caused an Access Violation in module d3d8.dll at 001b:00285c1b.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 12/24/2004 03:18:42.
F:\Games\Freespace2\fs2_open_d-T365.exe, run by ben.
2 processor(s), type 586.
511 MBytes physical memory.
Read from location 00000000 caused an access violation.

Last few lines from fs.log:
loading animated cursor "cursor"
ANI cursor with size 24x24 (25.0% wasted)
Ships.tbl is : VALID
Weapons.tbl is : VALID
cfile_init() took 128
Got event GS_EVENT_TEAM_SELECT (49) in state NOT A VALID STATE (49)
Loading 2_ChoosePilot-m.pcx for the first time.
MEMLEAK DEBUG: lock pcx
cf_get_file_list_preallocated looking for type=28, filter="*.pl2"
cf_get_file_list_preallocated looking for type=28, filter="*.plr"
Loading 2_ChoosePilot.pcx for the first time.
Loading 2_CPB_060002.pcx for the first time.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 02:41:07 am by 2379 »

Offline redmenace

:welcome:

That is the first I have heard of that happening. Have you tried to reinstall freespace? What graphics card are you using?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
There are graphical artifacts at the end of thruster plumes. Those artifacts are visible at the end of effect. This happens with thrusters from mediavp's as well as our custom thrusters.

Artifacts

I have seen this happen with earlier CVS builds as well.
I've got Radeon 9800XT with Catalyst 4.12's, happened with 4.11's too. This happens in both D3D and OGL modes.

I noticed that the artifact is always at the end of effect file's resolution. In other words, smaller thruster plume but same resolution, the artifact is at the same point.

I'll post a bug report to mantis later.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 09:34:31 am by 173 »

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
@Ranavin:

Load times are dependant on the number of textures and cmdline options used.  The new MediaVP makes heavier use of glow and shine maps as well as animations.  Other loading changes intale modifications to the load bar to more acurrately reflect load times and not unloading textures unless they are not going to be used.  Since the textures aren't unloaded unless they are not used for that mission the last 80% of the load bar will move pretty fast if you are reloading a mission or moving between similar missions.

The OGL popup problem is known but it looks to be a driver problem.  It only appears to be a problem with Radeon cards but I'm trying to figure out what change is needed to fix it.  There is nothing strange going on with the code and neither OSX nor Linux Radeon users have reported a similar problem so it's likely a Windows only thing.  It's being looked in to.

For the D3D crash, try starting the game in a window and see if you still have a problem.  A bug in D3D (only showed up after 3.6) makes it impossible to switch between a minimized and fullscreen modes.  You can also try disabling movies and see if that helps.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
bah, double post.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2004, 02:20:58 pm by 2299 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
since I'm an uber-cheater I like to use juggernaut beam cannons. I'm playing mission 5 of FSPort and I take out all 4 freighters in one blast. then, fps drops down to 5.5 and freezes. :wtf: guess you guys are right. intel celerons are pretty s****y.  :welcome: Ranavin!