Author Topic: a few nifty features?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Lynx

Plus decals would allow body bound shields for capships.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by TrashMan
Why so mean? Did I ran over you cat or something?
It was a joke based on the misspelling in your original post.  Go read it again.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Bobboau
you know I would actualy like to implement dynamic decals for capships, I think it would be a realy clever useage of the decal code, the problem is I'm doing lots of other things right now, it probly wouldn't be too dificult to do depending on how complex the font code is.

My question with decals is what would happen if the "name" was longer than the geometry had space to display it on?  Would it run off past the geometry?  Would it just disappear?  (I'm fairly confident that it would not follow geometry.  Not really knowing how you implemented the decal code in the first place makes me pretty much in the dark here, but that would seem to go against the principle of a single decal in general).  If you can get it working, though, I'll be the first to thank you.  Did you ever get decals to take on scene lighting?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Originally posted by Goober5000
It was a joke based on the misspelling in your original post.  Go read it again.

I don't like it when ideas poop into my head...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Originally posted by Goober5000

In that case - good one!

If you look at the High poly fenris you'll notice that the nameplates are made by simply adding a rectangle in the correct places and then adding a texture with the name on a transparent background.

That system works perfectly well on the Fenris and would work equally well on any other ship as far as I can see. So yes. You're correct. Just reconvert the model with two more polygons on it and add the nameplates to that. You don't need to do any serious UV mapping. You don't need to make sure that the texture you use for the nameplate fits with the current UV mapping. To all intents and purposes it's a working Decal system exactly like Trashman is after. So why on Earth he's still bugging Goober about this is beyond me.

Say...that's an excellent idea....

Just one more thing - while that would surely work, when you have 40 capships in the campaign, you need 40 nameplates and 40 nameplates = file space that could have been better used.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
As opposed to having 40 nameplates on Decals? How is that saving any memory at all?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Lynx

I sincerily doubt that a mission involvin 40 capships could be good.
Give a man fire and he'll be warm for a day, but set fire to him and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
That's a fair point too :D

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by Lynx
I sincerily doubt that a mission involvin 40 capships could be good.

There goes FS2's Main Campaign. Since he did say campaign, not mission, after all.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack

My question with decals is what would happen if the "name" was longer than the geometry had space to display it on? Would it run off past the geometry? Would it just disappear? (I'm fairly confident that it would not follow geometry. Not really knowing how you implemented the decal code in the first place makes me pretty much in the dark here, but that would seem to go against the principle of a single decal in general). If you can get it working, though, I'll be the first to thank you. Did you ever get decals to take on scene lighting?

Barring technical limitations, it's impossible to have a name exceed a texture because you can always make the texture more detailed. (eg if your letters are 32 px long, the texture could be resized to 512x512 or 1024x1024 to accomadate a longer name.)

Besides that, the text could always be cut off or spanned across multiple lines if the ship had a name with spaces in it.
-C

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by ngtm1r
There goes FS2's Main Campaign. Since he did say campaign, not mission, after all.

Quite frankly if you're going to complain about the amount of space it will take up in a zip file to include 40 small textures then you're takng pedantry to such a ridiculous level that it's really pointless in you bothering to make a campaign in the first place.

The textures used in the Nameplate for the High Poly Fenris takes up 3k. If having nameplates on your destroyers isn't work 120k to you then f**k it. Don't use the feature.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2004, 07:07:09 am by 340 »

Well even in a conceptual design for this nameplate/insignia feature, how would you (algorithmically) decide where to put the decal? The only way it can be realistically customized ATM without oodles of extra code is to put a nameplate texture on a ship and then to say 'draw text/image on there'. Which is about what we have right now - it doesn't take much doing to draw your own nameplate textures and use texture replacement. The only alternative, as far as I can see, would be to draw a bounding box on the surface of a ship's hull and draw the text or image inside that... and that would be a nightmare to code.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
My understanding of the "text to graphic" approach is that the model would have a designated nameplate geometry section (much like the insignia for fighters) that would automatically have the ship's name placed on there.  Then you have bounds on where to place the name, as well as UV data to map it to, so the only complication would be rendering out the name at the start of the mission to a suitably formatted tile.  Bob brought up decals, which implies a wholly different approach (in that either the string or each letter, depending on how he went about it, would have its own polygon created for it dynamically) and my original point was that this approach, while suitable for small pockmark-like damage decals, probably would raise a lot of really difficult problems if applied to a multi-character string of arbitrary length.  You'll either get super-condensed text, whose width varies from one ship to the next, or you'll potentially find letters trailing off into space, turning very sharp corners, or otherwise behaving strangely/poorly if each letter gets its own polygon.  While I believe the second alternative is unlikely to happen anyway just because of the inefficiency involved, it's a question that I felt I needed to ask.

Also, there is the problem of alien ships.  Not even Star Trek, the masters of "all the aliens look just like us" routine, have ever made the mistake of using western characters for the aliens' language.  I could see wanting to put a nameplate on a Vasudan ship, but if it's going to come up in the Stop font and in English, then there's a problem.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
So we have several issues:
1) Location of the nameplate
2) Size of the text
3) Font to display the text in

All of these would take a crapload of code to implement, would still be more work than the current code, and would be WORSE, because you can always come up with a situation that the code doesn't know how to handle.  All you have to do is create a new font and the code would be broken.

The current system handles all these cases with less effort, less frustration, and more flexibility.