Author Topic: [FA] C1M7 Primus  (Read 28607 times)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
My mission is about 75% ready.. And now I'm asking couple of silly questions just to be sure that I understand everything right..

1) Is Staker the CO of the Damocles?
2) Is Damocles heading the Capella node to send a subspace message?
3) How much artistic freedom I have? And I mean about the ending of the mission, 'cos it's the campaign last one...
4) What's the deadline?
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Primus
My mission is about 75% ready.. And now I'm asking couple of silly questions just to be sure that I understand everything right..

1) Is Staker the CO of the Damocles?
2) Is Damocles heading the Capella node to send a subspace message?
3) How much artistic freedom I have? And I mean about the ending of the mission, 'cos it's the campaign last one...
4) What's the deadline?

1) Yes.
2) Yes. No one in the GTVA has any idea what the message could possibly be about.
3) Have a chat with Black Wolf about his intentions for the mission. Beyond that it's completely up to you.
4) All I ask is that you work steadily on the mission. No particular deadline and no particular time I expect anything. It's just that you'll learn more and find things easier if you don't distract yourself and go off to do other things and then come back 2 months later :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by karajorma

1) Yes.
2) Yes. No one in the GTVA has any idea what the message could possibly be about.
3) Have a chat with Black Wolf about his intentions for the mission. Beyond that it's completely up to you.
4) All I ask is that you work steadily on the mission. No particular deadline and no particular time I expect anything. It's just that you'll learn more and find things easier if you don't distract yourself and go off to do other things and then come back 2 months later :D

Check out the mission outlines for the mission that follows you're own. I found that helped me out.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Unfortunately he's doing the last mission so that won't help him much :D

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Exactly :)

I send PM to Black Wolf about his intensions for that mission. When he gives me some kind of a answer I'll get back to work.
Like I said, the mission is about 75% ready. It needs Com/De/Brief some chatter and the end result.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Excellent :)

Offline Roanoke

Unfortunately he's doing the last mission so that won't help him much :D

:nervous:

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
I always envisioned this as being a hectic, time limited thing with the typical outcome seeing the NTR send at least part of its message off into space, leaving things open for a sequel. But to be entirely honest my ideas here were rather vague - everything from Shivans jumping through the node and the campaign cutting off without debriefing to the Damoclese self destructing and killing everyone on board once the message was sent. Consider yourself at artistic liberty - that way I have an even better reason to play the final campaign. :)
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
If you're feeling really brave Primus try using the rand SEXP and have multiple endings. This would be somewhat hard to pull off for a beginner but would teach you a lot more. (of course you'll find that people like myself would be more than happy to help you with explainations):D

The way I'd probably do it is have a variable called missionEnding. I'd  assign it a random amount using the rand SEXP. After that I'd simply check the value of the variable in any event that dealt with the ending.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Thanks Black Wolf

I'm not that brave :lol: But I'm here to learn, so I'll give it a shot. :) And I will ask for help if.. When I need it :D

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I'm making it out as being harder than it is. It's actually not that difficult to be honest. The trick is keeping an eye on what events happen in each particular outcome. Since you're only going to need about 2-3 events for each particular ending it shouldn't get too confusing.

The problem comes when you try to set up a mission where this sort of thing can happen right at the start ;)
« Last Edit: January 04, 2005, 03:49:20 am by 340 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
STATUS UPDATE

I didn't like the mission that I created, so I scrapped it and started from scratch..
Now the new version is about 95% done. Only thing it needs is a debriefing, solving few little problems and maybe a command briefing. I'll do that soon and then upload the mission to my site for download. Expect this to happen in few days when I get internet connection. Right now I don't have one, as I said goodbye to my ****ty 56k and soon I'll say welcome to broadband :D
Oh yeah! I played with the variables and rand SEXPs to create few diffirent endings. I hope you'll like my decisions...

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Sounds good. I look forwards to seeing it in action :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
I have to say this here :D

I just got broadband!! I'm so happy that I could cry.. 4+ years with 56k and now, finally, I can really surf without cuss words :lol:

My FA mission needs debriefings, other than that, it's done.  But I really can't concentrate now that I have this broadband :D

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
I'll release it very very soon...

I only have to figure out one waypoint problem.. And then the first version is done...

What the **** is wrong with the ****ing Damocles, can't do simple ****ing waypoint without  a ****ing dance!?!?!? :hopping:

But don't worry.. I'll solve it, I ain't going crazy :nervous:
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 11:07:09 am by 2137 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
1st version of FRED Academy campaign 1, mission 7

[EDIT] Check the 2nd version... ;)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 01:28:52 pm by 2137 »

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
I gave up.. The mission has a bug, which you will see when the time comes and then you can tell me how to solve it.

The mission has a few diffirent endings for the few possible mission results.. I hope that one of the endings isn't too extreme (it's also the buggy one) :nervous: Although it wasn't entirely my idea alone :p Ofcourse it can be changed, but hopefully, it isn't vague, as somebody said... ;)
Oh yeah.. If you check the events in FRED2, you'll see an awful mess :lol:
Also, I really started to miss 3.5.5. Once you had open, you don't want vanilla anymore :D

NOTES:
-I don't like what I did with the mission
-I still don't like it
-After playtesting the mission dozens of times, I now hate it
-I still can't believe that I have broadband
-Download the mission and play it
-It doesn't have CB
-I suck when it comes to writing debriefs
-I'm tired and hungry after spending straight 10 hours surfing and fredding
-etc.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Downloading. I'll test thing very soon :) Although when a mission designer hates a mission it's generally not a good sign (I love all my babies. Even the ugly retarded ones :D )

If you use 3.5.5 why didn't you sign up for one of the SCP campaigns though?

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Downloading. I'll test thing very soon :) Although when a mission designer hates a mission it's generally not a good sign (I love all my babies. Even the ugly retarded ones :D )

If you use 3.5.5 why didn't you sign up for one of the SCP campaigns though?

I always hate my creations (see first sig) and I wanted to help finishing the first campaign. And it's not that big deal, I just started to respect even more the FSO :) Vanilla FRED2 is just fine for me too...

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
So, mr. Karajorma, have you had the time to play my mission? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to rush you :)

And other HLPers too, you can download it, play it and complain about it :D
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 12:35:03 pm by 2137 »