Author Topic: Thoughts about Alpha 1  (Read 21149 times)

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by Slasher:
The .ani format hasn't changed a bit.  As sandwich noted, the size and shape of the FS1 command briefs is a bit different than that of the FS2 animations, but I've already tried it out and they work without a problem.  Ditto for the FS1 briefings, debriefings, in-mission voice overs - they can all be ported over without a hitch.  The cool thing is that those of us who have FS1 and a tiny bit of expertise with VPVIEW would never have to download a big 30MB+ package of FS1 command briefs or sound files.  

For that matter, porting the entire FS1 game over to FS2 wouldn't require too much technical knowledge at all.  Converting FS1 missions over to FreeSpace 2 involves the simple matter of extracting them from the proper .vp file and changing their extension to .fs2.  Sure, they won't have any background to speak of, some of the briefing icons will be out of place, and there won't be any flashy beams, but those would be easy matters to "correct", assuming we'd want to edit the mission in the first place.  In theory, even the menu and main hall graphics could be carried over, although that'd be a slightly bigger task.  Still, imagine playing FS1 with the FS2 music.  Or...if you're one of those really oldskool types, playing FS1 with the FS1 music in FS2.  Okay, so that sort of defeats the original purpose   , but I'm just spewing ideas here.

If only we had enough determination to get such a project done...

*cough*

For the people THAT don't have FS1 need to d/l a 30mb+ package,or make 2 package's one for the people that have FS1 and one that don't have FS1.
Do you need to make the FS1 ani files wider or can you just poor them over like they are?
I can convert Every FS1 ship to FS2 whitout any problems.I think this would be great to do.

------------------

------------------
                          [email protected]                        Staff member of
SOC Inferno,
can you defeat
the shivans?  
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
I hate to ask that, but would that be legal to put all that stuff (music, ani, basically all the art part of FS1, just the code is left) for download?
SCREW CANON!

Offline Red5

• http://www.roughnecks.org
 Guys i have the entire FS1 main hall, sounds, HUD objects, loadining menus, and cursors imported into fs2.  I have resedigned all 150 megs of pcx interface menu screens to a new form.  Its all for my prequel campaigns that take place between FS1 and FS2
This is my signature

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by venom2506:
I hate to ask that, but would that be legal to put all that stuff (music, ani, basically all the art part of FS1, just the code is left) for download?

You got a good point there.Iam going to mail   about this.

Originally posted by Red5:
Guys i have the entire FS1 main hall, sounds, HUD objects, loadining menus, and cursors imported into fs2.  I have resedigned all 150 megs of pcx interface menu screens to a new form.  Its all for my prequel campaigns that take place between FS1 and FS2

there is just one thing you didn't think of and that is you didn't d/l the files.BUT when you are done whit it and put it up for D/L then it still will be ilegal.

------------------

------------------
SOC Inferno,
can you defeat
the shivans?  
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Red5

• http://www.roughnecks.org
Very good point...

Is it illegal to download Volition based Art and concepts from FS1?   I believe it is very legal.  For years now several FS1 models have been out for download into FS2, Volition corporate has not given any other comment other than good job to these so called perpetrators. The actual art work itself is not copyrighted, nor is the greek names used throughout the game. I solemnly believe that these files are free for the pleasing as long as people own the original game.  I will consider posting a warning statment saying you must own both FS1 and FS2 before downloading my campaign, perhaps that legal tidbit will save my rear?  whadda ya guys think?? is it illegal?
This is my signature

Offline Slasher

I seriously doubt it.  An abundant amount of FreeSpace 1 material can be found on the web, including missions, ships, textures, sounds, and the music tracks.  Neither Volition nor Interplay have squeaked on the matter as far as I've heard.  Still, it might be wise to email V before proceeding.  Just in case.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Well, when the conversion of the game models to 3ds is complete, I could take a crack at doing those cutscenes.

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT

Originally posted by Slasher:
I seriously doubt it.  An abundant amount of FreeSpace 1 material can be found on the web, including missions, ships, textures, sounds, and the music tracks.  Neither Volition nor Interplay have squeaked on the matter as far as I've heard.  Still, it might be wise to email V before proceeding.  Just in case.

Look in my post above i have mailed   about this

------------------

------------------
SOC Inferno,
can you defeat
the shivans?  
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
I got a repley from Adam Pletcher read B!tches

1.Would it be legal to put the conversion up for D/L?

I'm almost certain this would not be legal.  It would essentially be
offering FS2 content to people that haven't paid for that product.

2.The FS1 .ani files are 200x150.But the FS2 ani files are
wider do they
need to be resized,in order to view them corectly?And would
there be any
quality loss if you resized them?

Yes, you would have to resize them.  You would lose some quality, sure, but
it depends on how it was scaled.

3.Can the FS1 missions be saved as a .FS2 file whit out Fred2
errors? like
unknown ships.

I doubt it.  The formats differ in many ways, not just what ships they name.

4.If this is legal to put up FS1 cutscene's up for D/L? (Doubt it)

Definitely not.

- Adam

------------------

------------------
SOC Inferno,
can you defeat
the shivans?  
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Allow me to be the first to say: bummer.  

------------------
"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Hey, we could always have our local coding b!tch write up an executable that copies the cutscenes, ani's, etc... to the HD.  That would solve the problem of not having to download them.  All you'd have to do is put up a notice saying that it requires the original Freespace game.

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Originally posted by MD-2389:
Hey, we could always have our local coding b!tch write up an executable that copies the cutscenes, ani's, etc... to the HD.  That would solve the problem of not having to download them.  All you'd have to do is put up a notice saying that it requires the original Freespace game.

yup. And has we resize the anis, those files can still be out for d/l ( modified stuff, no pb)

SCREW CANON!

Offline Neon

Oh, be nice to   ...  

They might be nice to you!!!!  

Offline Darkage

• CRAZY RENDER RABBIT
Neon? do you lack a pair of brains and eye's?
They are nice to   they only try to make it legal in such a way that they wouldn't have to go to jail

------------------

------------------
SOC Inferno,
can you defeat
the shivans?  
Soc Inferno

Project Rebellion
Gost of the past
iqc 102628858
[email protected]
Returned from the dead.

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by sandwich:
Allow me to be the first to say: bummer.  

Let me be the second...  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.