Author Topic: DirectX?  (Read 2881 times)

Offline -Norbert-

I wanted to know which DirectX is recommended for FSO and if there are any known problems with 9.0c?

I had FSO running without any problem a few days ago (with DirectX 9.0b). Then I bought a new Harddisk and in installing everything new I also installed DirectX 9.0c.

Now FS2 with FSO is going totally mad. When the mission starts everythings fine, but then more and more things are replaced with whithe squares, most times starting with the sun and shields.
Then the sounds get less and less until there is no sound at all.
At last (of course only if the game doesn't crash me to the desktop) and awful and very lowd noise that sounds like my boxed are broken starts and doesn't stop until I'm back on the desktop.
But before I'm there, the complete mainhall replaced with only white and only when a door animation starts, there is a bit of "not-withe" space on the screen.

I tryed it with every FSO option disabled in Direct3D and OpenGL but even then, the problem is still there. Even after de- and reinstalling FS2 and FSO (3.6.5 with all Media VP incl mv_boob.vp).

Offline Drew

• http://www.galactic-quest.com
whats ur hardware?
[(WWF - steroids + ties - spandex) / Atomic Piledrivers] - viewing audience = C-SPAN

My god.. He emptied the gasoline tank from the van onto your cat, lit him on fire, threw him in the house and dove for cover.  :wtf: Family indeed.  ~ KT

Happiness is belt fed.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by -Norbert-
mv_boob.vp

:lol:
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

Is this for some SCP feature I don't know about?

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
make sure you have latest drivers for your new install...
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

Offline -Norbert-

Oh sorry, just saw that myself. :o
Of course mv_bobb.vp

My system:
AMD Athalon XP 2500+
1024 MB DDR RAM
GeForce 4 TI 4200 64 MB (with latest drivers of course)
Creative Soundblaster 4.1
Windows ME

The new Harddisk is a Maxtor 40 GB (7200 rpm) plate with which I replaced a quite old 3.2 GB with 5400 rpm. The FS 2 folder is on another disk, but the OS is on the new one.

But since it worked before I got the new harddisk, I don't think that it's a hardware related problem.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2005, 04:48:00 pm by 1400 »

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Explains why your wingmen are never paying attention...

SCP is Direct X8 compatible, 9,0c should be fine, though some people have had problems with shine mapping with later drivers on ATI cards :)

Edit: Yep, that GeForce should be fine :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Goober5000

Is this for some SCP feature I don't know about?

It's for NUDE_HUD :lol:

Your problem sounds sort of like the one I have with my computer - what's your power supply like?
-C

Offline Steel

• http://www.rlgaming.com
my guess is it is software - in the os layer and below...
Helmut "Steel" Fritz
Stop, Look, and Listen

XO, Wings of Fury
http://www.wings-of-fury.com

Offline -Norbert-

I went back to DirectX 9.0b.
The problems are far less in number than with c.
But still there are some weird things happening.
I have only tested it so far with everything enabled, and will test now if I can trace the problem to one or a few specific options.

Edit:
With everything from "Graphic" deactivated I had no peoblem with the training missions.
But the first mission crashed. Since there is nothing to be seen in the Techroom when I click on the Herc and there are Hercs in that mission. I would guess that the problem is related to the herc.
When I activate everything in the graphics section the Herc is shown in the Techroom, but the first mission still crashes.

At least the sound problems I got rid of and they where not SCP related. I have a 4.1 soundcard set the sound setup to 5.1 by mistake.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 11:05:31 am by 1400 »

Offline wolfdog

Originally posted by -Norbert-

Windows ME

That might be your problem.

Offline -Norbert-

With my old Harddisk, it ran well with Win ME so I don't think thats the problem.
And the soundbug I experianced, the one I thought was away, is still there, even when I set my soundcard to stereo-boxes or even headphones.
And before someone tels: I have no mv_musik.vp and no mv_zpack.vp in my FS2 folder. And sound problem is there, no matter if I check "preload music" or not.

Offline Davros

did you reinstall fs2 as well ???
you may have missing reg entries

Offline -Norbert-

Yes I did.
After installing I started the FSO Launcher first and got told that no registry entries where found.
Then I started the FS2 Launcher and let it do the autodetect for the hardware, after that the FSO Launcher found the registry entries.

But I'll try again and start FS2 once before installing FSO this time.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2005, 04:33:40 pm by 1400 »

Offline -Norbert-

Now I really found the problem.
It was a faulty new RAM Chip. I'll go and carry it back to the trader tomorrow.

Sorry for wasting your time and thanks for your efforts both in making this incredibly project and in trying to help me.