Author Topic: Voice chatter during mission?  (Read 2546 times)

Voice chatter during mission?
Hiya folks,
This babylon project is great and I consider myself lucky to have found it.  Here's my question for today.  Can I enable voice for the Raiders campaign during the missions?  Earth Minbari war has voice but Raiders does not.  So, I was thinking is it possible to run text a to chat program of some kind.  When I am in a dogfight, I don't have time to read the important messages between wingmen, other allies, and bad guys.

Mission briefs and debriefs are different, those are easy enough to read since one is not in combat.

I know it is a lot of work to get voice actors so that is why text to voice programs might be more practical for this.
Biggs
athlon xp 3000+ 1024 mb 333mhz BFG 6800 gt oc 256 mb sbaudigy 2 logitech z-680 5.1 windows xp home sp2

Offline rynadrk

I think they all ready did this.  Someone just has to put some instructions up on how to turn it on.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
:D I actually tried this. I extracted the missions from the VP, removed the little message bleep and then let FS2_Open's speech synthesis options take over.

Only problem was that the messages took so long to be read out by the computer that they all got completely out of order and I was being told about ships joining in after they had left.

I deleted the edited mission and just went back to pressing F4 a lot :D

I guess we'll have to wait for the voice actors to record all their lines :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Originally posted by karajorma
:D I actually tried this. I extracted the missions from the VP, removed the little message bleep and then let FS2_Open's speech synthesis options take over.

Only problem was that the messages took so long to be read out by the computer that they all got completely out of order and I was being told about ships joining in after they had left.

I deleted the edited mission and just went back to pressing F4 a lot :D

I guess we'll have to wait for the voice actors to record all their lines :)

Hmm, if the software could read text faster this could be fixed.  Anyway, I did not know about the F4 command, so will start using that for now.
athlon xp 3000+ 1024 mb 333mhz BFG 6800 gt oc 256 mb sbaudigy 2 logitech z-680 5.1 windows xp home sp2

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It might have been the choice of the voice I was using. I might one day try one of the other ones :)

EDIT : Actually I started thinking after posting this, looked in control panels and found the Speech which I never recall seeing before. Does everyone have this or is it just cause I installed the AT&T voices?

Either way I think I'm definately going to have to hack the mission now :)
« Last Edit: January 18, 2005, 02:00:02 pm by 340 »

Let us know the results.  As for me, I did check the in-game voice as enabled, but for some reason no speech happens during the mission.  FS Open Launcher 5.2, speech tab, use simulated speech check box for ingame only.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
It won't work until the missions have been edited to remove the little message bleep that they currently have. That said even with speeded up voice synth the game still can't read the messages out quickly enough.

Looks like I'm stuck with either no speech or Babylon 5 - Chipmunks edition. :D

I think the RW team are going to have their work cut out for them when they start adding the voice acting to the game.

Anyway if you still want to play the game with voice synth you're welcome to download this and try it out for yourself.

Remember to delete it when the voice acting version comes out or you won't be able to hear it :)

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Originally posted by karajorma
EDIT : Actually I started thinking after posting this, looked in control panels and found the Speech which I never recall seeing before. Does everyone have this or is it just cause I installed the AT&T voices?

Yes, I have it and propably all have it...
No surrender, no retreat.