Author Topic: Question for all the new FREDders.  (Read 8064 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Question for all the new FREDders.
You're a little late to suggest campaigns at the moment cause we've already picked Trivial's campaign for now but if you want to follow the link I gave above and join the Fred Academy's TBP campaign you're more than welcome.  :)

Have you looked through the walkthrough that comes with FRED? (It sadly isn't bundled with TBP but you can get it from here if you haven't seen it already when playing about with Freespace.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by karajorma
Have you looked through the walkthrough that comes with FRED? (It sadly isn't bundled with TBP but you can get it from here if you haven't seen it already when playing about with Freespace.

It is included.

Offline wolfdog

would it be a Good idea to do some MP missions too? I think TBP needs them... (or is there some major MP-mission package release planned?)If so, I would like to join too..
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:40:00 pm by 1508 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Mr. Fury

It is included.

It is? I took a look in data and there's no Freddocs folder. :wtf:

Doesn't work from FRED for me either.

Originally posted by wolfdog would it be a Good idea to do some MP missions too? I think TBP needs them... (or is there some major MP-mission package release planned?)If so, I would like to join too.. I'd be interested in joining...

Sadly I have no experience with multiplayer so it would be hard for me to advise how to solve the problems that only occur in MP missions. In addition I have trouble enough finding time to test singleplayer missions. As a result FA concentrates on singleplayer missions.

Of course if you can find people to playtest the mission itself and report problems I don't mind helping with suggestions on how to fix them. I'm actually quite interested to see what multiplayer missions can do with the new FS2_Open features cause AFAIK no one is writing multiplayer missions for FS2_Open.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2005, 12:41:03 pm by 340 »

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by karajorma

It is? I took a look in data and there's no Freddocs folder. :wtf:

Doesn't work from FRED for me either.

Directory listing from a fresh install.
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data\cache
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data\documentation
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data\freddocs
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data\links
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data\strips
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\data\freddocs\Charts_files

Offline wolfdog

Well, I have quite some experience with fs2 multiplayer, and i've got enough time to test missions...  but yes, testing would be a problem since there are only 4 or 5 people who actually play this online, and getting those to play all at the same time would be hard..

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Mr. Fury

Directory listing from a fresh install.

Umm. I've only got Data. I HAD the others when I first installed cause I remember looking at the strips but they're gone now.

I think I'm going to reinstall cause I think that installing 3.1 is to blame.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
I doubt it. The installer only touches the core vp-file and few registry entries. It only deletes the old core vp-file after the patching is done.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Cmdr_Patterson
Basic Missions would center around the episodes:

OK, I avoided quoting the entire post to keep things a little less cluttered.  I think that some of these are doable, but for now the difficulty is in that the Whitestar is not pilotable, which would make some of the later missions, such as going up aginst the Omega-Xs, a non-possibility right now.  Also, in your "Severed Dreams" missions, your second mission is impossible at the moment, since there is no B5 model available in the TBP-Base.  Also, the 1st mission in that pair, I'm assuming is supposed to cover the engagment between the Alexander and the Clarkstown at the beginning of the episode.  There was no jumpgate present in that engagement.

Now, what I think would be uber-cool, would rather be to create, perhaps a 5 mission campaign, with the pilot being aboard the Alexander.  It would begin perhaps with the huge engagement off the Io Transfer point, of which only clips were seen in "Point of No Return".  A couple of missions following this would chronicle how some of the ships that broke away with the Clarkstown, were destroyed, as mentioned at the end of "PoNR".  The final 2 would involve the Clarkstown engagement, and the big battle at B5.  Granted, this would need to wait for the B5 model to be available, but since we see nothing of the Alexander until a brief cameo in "No Surrender, No Retreat", perhaps the Alexander herself deserves a full-length campaign, following her actions in the civil war.  The above 5 mission campaign would be a demo for the full-length campaign, that could even include ingagements with the Shadows as part of the multi-species fleet.  Now, I know that it was never mentioned that any of the fugitive EA ships participated in these engagements, but there's nothing saying that they didn't either.

Sorry, I kinda hijacked that a bit.

Later!
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline darkspy

So karajorma,

Do you have a tread for TBP campaign or something? Or there is only what it has been said on this topic?

Also, is there a Fred walktrough for the TBP, because its not everyone who have the original freespace, and the fred help, so we only have the B5 ships and everything.... (Edit: forget about that part I found it...)

I used to be not so bad in fredding, but My computer have a problem with fs2; the afterburner doesn't work and it can't be fixed (but it work with TBP) so I gave up...

Also, I tried a bit with that release, I find annoying that I can't alt-tab (in the mission simulator screen) to make my changes and then go back to tbp and restart that mission. I have to exit the game, make the changes and then restart the game... If I do alt-tab, it gives me a program not responding to TBP, its small but annoying when making corrections.

Finally, I've planned a campaign (not all the missions ) for the first liberation of narn (using the ships available), the rise of G'Kar.... That can explain the few ships... but I know its too late and I'm ready to help with the current idea, wich sound good by the way...

So what can I do?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 08:20:28 pm by 2418 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Basically you want to have a look at this thread. Highlight campaign 5 so you can read the text and choose a mission you like the look of.

About your problems with the afterburner in FS2. You could solve that by downloading FS2_Open 3.6.5 from the SCP forum (In fact you could possibly just copy the needed files from your TBP folder but I'm loath to reccomend it until I know it works) :)

As for the other campaign keep it handy. When this campaign is done I'll get everyone to vote on the next choice and you're more than welcome to submit it then :)

Offline darkspy

thanks got it!

Offline Skullar

Trivial Psychic , you know there is an EA Civil War campaign coming ?
 Over 40 missions

It starts with the assassination of president Santiago and ends after ENDGAME.  You will be mostly stationed aboard the Alexander.

So dont mind, your uber-cool stuff is already under heavy construction.

Offline Vainzki

Hello all, I'm interested about this project and would like to join in, if there's a place open. I used to fool around with FRED in FS2 and made a few multiplayer missions etc. Also made the Hyperion Duel for R1 or R2...can't remember which one.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2005, 03:17:07 am by 2610 »

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
I've been somewhat dissappointed with the response so far so if you did join up you'd definately get a lot of attention :)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Yeah come on guys. Let's see some decent mini campaigns at least. We bust a gut giving you the tools.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Fergus

(grumbles) I would do a TBP mission, but I've already got another two on my plate, but I'll see if I can't jungle 3 at a time.
Generic signature quote blabber

i help if i can i do some freding in the past.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Yes. Join the FA! :D Check the FRED Academy thread.
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by tiggeruk
i help if i can i do some freding in the past.

Feel free to check out the link at the top of the page and join up then.

I'm more than happy to take on new FA members.