Author Topic: [FA] C2M9 Cobra  (Read 22807 times)

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
this is after they developed the kayser weaponry.

I know that, but it doesn't stop allied command from limiting their deployment. :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: July 23, 2005, 03:20:39 pm by 1313 »
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by karajorma
2) Sounds like a single waypoint is being used for all three ships. You can do that but you need to stop them when they get close to it or just use seperate waypoints.

eh, i used a SEXP to limit the transport's speeds.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Let me put it this way. If you try to park 3 cars in one space is it really going to make a difference what speed you park them at as to whether or not they hit each other?

On top of that using waypoints done as a trigger for a SEXP with anything larger than a bomber is a risky business. Caps frequently overshoot the waypoint resulting in it not being recorded as being done.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
which is understandable, since capships way like 60,000 tonnes and higher, and therefore have a larger mass. and they can't turn or stop on a dime. :D
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Nuclear1

1.9 is the most recent release, isn't it? If that's the case, I've got a number of nitpicks (if these have come up before, forgive me, but I feel they need to be addressed).

Background. There's a sense of emptiness here that I didn't feel in the main campaign or any other campaign. If you need to, copy V's background from Clash of the Titans II, which also took place at the EP node.

The briefing also, IMHO, needs to be longer. I really don't find that a couple of lines is enough. Perhaps you could elaborate on the civilians that you have to ignore, or the Shivans around the star? Additionally, Stage 1 should cut to Stage 2 (ie use the fuzzy effect).

The debriefing seems to be lacking too. It also seems unnecessary, seeing as how there are no events telling the player to jump out in the event that the Julius is destroyed. You should add some of these, and then add a bit of a longer debrief in this case. Talk about some of the consequences, other than simply "thousands died". We can assume that, unless there was nobody on the ship. Give us some long-reaching or short-reaching consequences for its destruction, and definitely give the player recommendations on how they can do better.

The weapons loadout really needs work, though. Everything seems to be at its default number, which shows laziness on the part of the FREDer. Limit the weapons to how many fighters there are; have about enough of each cannon for one slot on each fighter, and maybe enough of each missile for at least one slot on each (for four fighters, I would recommend about ~480 Hornets, ~360 Tornadoes, ~120 Harpoon, ~90 Rockeyes, ~400 Tempests, etc.).

Additionally, just to show professionalism, I would recommend adding a "Destroy Malice Beams" directive in there as well. Additionally, fighters should be grouped into formation, as it looks a little more worked on then simply all over the place or in a large triangle.

Otherwise, it looks like you're becoming a much better FREDer, Cobra. :nod:

Was I supposed to nitpick this much? No one else seemed to be... :nervous:
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
[LIST=*]Yes, I haven't done that.
Briefings and Debriefings: eh, as you know, i'm not big on those. ;)
Aren't we all lazy? :p
And I was never big on destroy beam cannon objectives, either. I hate those. :p
Heh, echelons are my favorite formation. :D[/LIST]

Thanks. :D

Offline Nuclear1

Still, I think the point of FA is to break some of those bad habits. If you really want to become a competent FREDer, some of these things have to be fixed up, some more importantly the others (i.e. briefing and debrief work should come before formations, which are not all that noticeable anyway).

As for the brief/debriefs, just try to imagine that you were one of the FS2 squadron leaders, and try to imagine talking like they would, and addressing the squadron like they would. Be informal at times (use "kids", "crew", "team", etc.), but stay professional when giving the information ("We have a situation developing near the inhabited planet of Cygnus Prime", etc.).

And no problem with the feedback. :) Anything I can do to help.
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.

Offline Kosh

• A year behind what's funny
Still, I think the point of FA is to break some of those bad habits. If you really want to become a competent FREDer, some of these things have to be fixed up, some more importantly the others

Exactly. FA is for you to learn how to be a good FREDer, not for you to find more threads to spam in.
"The reason for this is that the original Fortran got so convoluted and extensive (10's of millions of lines of code) that no-one can actually figure out how it works, there's a massive project going on to decode the original Fortran and write a more modern system, but until then, the UK communication network is actually relying heavily on 35 year old Fortran that nobody understands." - Flipside

Brain I/O error
Replace and press any key

Offline TopAce

• Stalwart contributor
  • FREDder, FSWiki editor, and tester
Originally posted by nuclear1
...Be informal at times (use "kids", "crew", "team", etc.)...

I don't agree with this. A squadron leader who doesn't know his 'minions' (<- Wrong word, I know) should be formal to the pilots. If they know each other or are a group of pirates, criminals, etc. that's another case.
My community contributions - Get my campaigns from here.

I already announced my retirement twice, yet here I am. If I bring up that topic again, don't believe a word.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Should be, perhaps. Will be, I doubt it.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by TopAce

I don't agree with this. A squadron leader who doesn't know his 'minions' (<- Wrong word, I know) should be formal to the pilots. If they know each other or are a group of pirates, criminals, etc. that's another case.

Ah, that would be just my FREDing style and my campaign stories then. :) In nearly all of the campaigns I've worked on, the squadron leader has been really close to his wingmates, or the captain of a vessel has had a long history with the pilots. I'd more understand if it was a FS2 main campaign situation, with pilots switching in and out of squadrons and not being around long enough to really know one squadron well enough.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
*bump*

alrighty, i'm gonna finish the work i started and revise M9. :D