Author Topic: A plea for balance!  (Read 3036 times)

Offline snarfy

Inferno is a creative campaign, but the friendly cap-ships are waaay too weak...I've lost count of how many time's i've lost because the super-bombers or enemy capships tear ours to shreds...and then, you know what happens, I instantly lose.

Now, before someone (not nesc. a dev of the mod) launches into the whole "it's you're fault, you're a horrible pilot" routine, please realize that i'm not the only newbie in the world, and games should be fun for people who have only recently begun playing...

It's just not fun when a friendly cap-ship is torn through like tissue paper and you instantly lose. Please make an effort to improve the armor of the ships we must protect, or weaken the bombers and/or beam cannons.

Hoping this wasn't a rant,
Snarf

First of all... check your diffaculty. Maybe for some reason you've got it cranked up beyond all reason. Second of all, try harder. When I tried Inferno, with my old computer that had slow-downs that made the game seem like a friggen' slide show, even I could defend my allied ships.

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Yeah, but the EA bombers get that Hell Storm X, which is some cheap-ass stuff... It's really hard to do intercept, and we don't get jack.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by snarfy
It's just not fun when a friendly cap-ship is torn through like tissue paper and you instantly lose. Please make an effort to improve the armor of the ships we must protect, or weaken the bombers and/or beam cannons.

You just need to practice more. I sucked against the Hellstorm X, but after several tries I find them quite easy now to shoot down.

For R2 friendly capships fire far faster on the lower difficulty levels so they can shoot bombs down quite easily.

Offline -Norbert-

They fire FASTER on lower dif.?
Well that would be the opposit of the original FS2.

Offline mr.WHO

Trust me "friendly" is a keyword, now read the upper sentence again :)

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
On very easy enemies fire at 1/2 full rate, friendlies fire at full rate. This is now definable through the new difficulty table that Phreak added for us, so though it'll break our balance, you can change it if you really need to.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
What is this tbl? Is it available in normal FS2_Open builds?
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Hmm I'd guess it is.

The table allows you to tweak with some of the hard coded game settings. It's designed to allow the hard coded changes I made when I broke from the SCP CVS and made customised INF Builds to be defined via table so that we won't need to keep our own codebase anymore.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Well, do you have a sample table I can alter to suit my needs?

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
The only balance problem I experienced in R1 was

Spoiler:

When the Lindos jumped in during the Artificial Node blockade mission. Obviously it was impossible to defend the friendly destroyer from the Lindos' beams, but I hardly got half way around the Lindos before it took off into subspace.

As far as all-around difficulty goes, I enjoy a good challenge. It forces you to stay on the edje of your seat and maybe replay the mission a few times. It's only when I lose the mission 4-5 times when I start toning down the difficulty. Or if it's already on very easy, I get desperate and break out the cheats.:drevil:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
Well, do you have a sample table I can alter to suit my needs?

i'm having Goober move the thread i created about it in the hosted project collaboration forum.  there should be a sample table in the thread
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Where has/will it been/be moved?

--General Battuta

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
once goober gets around to it, the thread will be moved to the SCP forum
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
It's been moved.

Offline phreak