Author Topic: Va. Senate drops droopy-pants bill  (Read 1027 times)

Va. Senate drops droopy-pants bill
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6948910/

:wtf:

Well, at least they dumped the bill, but the fact that it even got to be voted on should get you worried. Don´t they have more important things to do?

Allthough i concur that some people should be biitch slapped for showing their crack, namelly very fat people. Instead of a fine, they should get a wedgy!
:p
No Freespace 3 ?!? Oh, bugger...

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
i don't really see the actual point of having your pants all but hang off your knees..

personally, it makes people who do that... look like complete idiots.

and besides... hasn't it been around since the ninties? :wtf:
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I like my low-rise jeans.  Just because VA's sentate isn't fashionable, don't take it out on other people....

"Your cynicism appauls me Collosus - I have ten thousand officers and crew willing to die for pants !"

"Go to red alert!"
"Are you sure sir? It does mean changing the bulb"

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
WHAT THE ****. :wtf:
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
As much as I'd like to see these suburban white kids stop dressing like the 'inner city youth' while driving their parent's mercedes around town, I don't think it should be a law...
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Liberator

• Poe's Law In Action
I think the point is that their upset that there are 8 year old girls dressing in low-rise hip huggers and halter tops.
So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

There are only 10 types of people in the world , those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
*didn't read the article, and only heard 4 seconds of discussion on Fox News as he walked past the TV to go downstairs to his room*
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline Deepblue

• Corporate Shill
This is possibly the first fashion trend started by plumbers.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 12:52:24 pm by 944 »

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
Government taking care of the important stuff as usual, I see....

Haven't they got enough drug dealers and murderers to catch? This is a completely daft idea (not to mention it isn't exactly something you'd associate with a country where "free will" is fairly important).

Lib's got a point though - kids are getting "fashionable" far too young now. I think that all kids should be made to dress the same until they're at least 12. Direct marketing to children should be stopped - it causes too much trouble. But then that's a child protection issue, not a moral-majority whinge from a few old people who think belts should be at about nipple height...

"OMG! I can see the hem of his b0x0rz!!!!11one I am offended!!" :doubt:
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
[q]I think that all kids should be made to dress the same until they're at least 12.[/q]

Cause that helps encourage individualism and personal identity. :wtf:

See this is what happens - one bunch of chug monkeys come up with a rediculous idea and it's countered by another rediculous idea.

Offline pyro-manic

• Flambé
You don't get individualism and personal identity. What you get is a bunch of kids who get together to beat the **** out of another kid whose parents couldn't afford to buy them the latest pair of £90 trainers/designer jeans/stupid fad toy/(substitute any item marketed specifically to under-10s). It happens (it happened to me to an extent), and it's disgusting. Children should be allowed to have their childhood, free from the attentions of greedy corporations who have found themselves a whole new money-making scheme exploiting people at the most vulnerable time of their life, ie. their formative years when they are learning social skills and the like.

Fair enough, that was an ill-considered comment, but my genreal opinion stands.
Any fool can pull a trigger...

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Don't you guys see. :mad: This wasn't about people wearing low rise jeans. It was part of a deliberate plot to allow evil to finally triumph over good.

First part of the plan.

Outlaw Superman.  :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
I think the only thing dumber than that bill, is that comment that kids should dress the same until they're 12. Tell me you don't honestly believe that :wtf: If you do, I'll get Lib to pray for you :D :p

Seriously, we live in a democracy, and this is part of it. You may not like it, but you have no right to tell them that they are not allowed to dress how they want. If you give someone the power to dictate how a person should dress/look/be like, then you are no better than Fascists.

And don't tell me "Well, the pop stars make the kids wear this stuff!" Sure, it may be cool, but the kids still have the choice whether or not to wear it. Even if they don't wear it and are ostrazised for not being "cool" by their peers, they still have that choice.

Take away that choice, and what do you have left? Democracy, and America is built on the ability of choice, and if you take it away, you have nothing.

That is directed at anyone who thinks that people should be made to conform, by law, to a specific dress code.

And for the record, yes, I am against school uniforms, however, I do see their merit and will not fight against that particular part of the law. And you still have a choice, as well--you can always go to a different school, probably a high-quality, free, public-education school.

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Once again, we are looking for solutions to problems that have no solutions. Kids are brutal, brutal creatures. They will ostracize, humiliate, and physically assault each other no matter what. It is pointless to impose Orwellian fashion laws just to try and stop kids from being the animalistic little ****s that they are. Leave this up to parents.
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Oh, and like grownups are so much different :rolleyes:

If you look at the world, and compare it to the playground, it's practically the same. Only difference is, people don't die (usually).

Kids will be kids, it's pointless to stop that. In fact, the basic structure of kids hasn't changed since the birth of time. All this bull**** about "Popular culture and video games are ruining our children"--stuff it. Pop Culture didn't do it, the parents did. It's the parents fault for not being there, so kids have to use Popcult to be accepted. Kids have always been lazy, it's just now that video games give them the excuse.

I would bet my bottom dollar that kids will be the same in 2500, as they are in 2005.

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
Once again, we are looking for solutions to problems that have no solutions. Kids are brutal, brutal creatures. They will ostracize, humiliate, and physically assault each other no matter what. It is pointless to impose Orwellian fashion laws just to try and stop kids from being the animalistic little ****s that they are. Leave this up to parents.

Absolutely correct.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ford Prefect

• 8D
  • Intelligent Dasein
Oh, and like grownups are so much different

I never said they were. The only real difference is that kids are less governed by society's basic behavioral codes, so they make no pretense about the pettiness of their arguments.

I'm not arguing that parents will make the kids perfect, just that these things ought to be their decisions, not the state's.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2005, 02:50:39 pm by 2015 »
"Mais est-ce qu'il ne vient jamais à l'idée de ces gens-là que je peux être 'artificiel' par nature?"  --Maurice Ravel

Offline Solatar

Uniforms until you're twelve will kinda encourage individualism. Forces you to think of more creative ways to do it.:D

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
I'm getting very scared now.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
WTF to the guy who said kids should wear the same thing 'til they're 12. Like Prefect said, kids are going to beat up/ostracize/mock kids for whatever reason they can come up with that's popular. I'd much rather have kids do it based on clothes rather than, say, skin/hair/eye color.
-C