Author Topic: Hosting dedicated server  (Read 3133 times)

Hosting dedicated server
Hey all,
I just recently got this game, and a small group of friends wants me to host the server. I have tried everything I know to host, and the hosting works fine, but it will not display on 1) Ingame server list 2) Website server list.

I am running FS2 open on both client and server, and I always get those annoying hacked table messages! The only option I use in the launcher is -standalone which will start the server, but it will not list. I have all my login info correct. What should I do?

Server specs:
1.9 GHZ Celeron (dont laugh)
512 Ram
5 mbit down/700 somethin up
No-name graphics
160 gigs

Any info would be helpful, thanks. (And it also looks like I would have the only dedicated server, assuming I can get it working :) )

Hosting dedicated server
Me and Fractux tried to do this earlier.....I dont think the standalone has been fixed with Kazan's new network code yet so I dunno if it will work properly/as expected. When I tried the server was highly unstable and the pings were higher than usual.

Hosting dedicated server
Everything seems to be working fine, except the server listing. It actually does list for me (since the box is on my network) but, as for others, it does not list. Yet they can connect to it directly...

Hosting dedicated server
So could anybody shed some light on the dedicated server stuff? I can host a non-dedicated, and it shows up and is playable... but when I host a dedicated, it is playable but will not show up :mad:

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hosting dedicated server
geez, no welcome beams for the new guy. *shakes head disgustedly*

:welcome: apple_eater :)

i get this problem a lot. 6 times, i tried to look for MatthewPapa and Raa's game and it never showed up. They started new games thrice.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline wolfdog

Hosting dedicated server
Try Tom's old engine build 1.3.6. it has a pretty stable standalone, and it works for me. (while other standalone's don't)

also, for the hacked table problem: move mv_aseffects and mv_effects out of you f22 folder.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 10:52:02 am by 1508 »

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hosting dedicated server
i think that's 1[/B].3.6

and I am using it, it's the best I've used until now.

no offense, taylor :nervous:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Hosting dedicated server
Nope, no hacked tables for me.
When I installed open I only installed the core (basic) files, so as to make SURE my tables wouldn't mess anything up... but I'll try to look for 1.3.6 (a link would be nice tho). :)

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Hosting dedicated server
as i have learned, thou must learn to search. here is thy link anyway.

http://svizel.kbx.cz/Fs2/FS2-OEB-1.3.6.zip
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:05:23 pm by 2299 »

Hosting dedicated server
Wow... you guys can respond to forum posts faster than I can type :lol: . Erm... that link not work for anybody else?

**goes to google**

EDIT: bah, you fixed the link to make me look stupid :(  lol.
I hope to get my server up soon

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
try the link again. I replaced the 1.3.3 one with the 1.3.6.

and, I have MSN Explorer going, so i get notified of replies :D

Once again, the list on the FS2NET is empty, which means my server isn't listing (it always lists for me, because its on my LAN).

I might wanna add something I did:
Because my server has a no-name graphics, it didn't support FS2, so I basically had to configure everything you USUALLY do ingame on this computer, then move my playerfile... is there anything other than the Apple Server.plr (the name of the playerfile) that I would need to move over? Im gonna try a dedicated on this machine...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
or, try making a new player :)

Well, works on this machine... you know what that means?

That means that I would have to move my video card OVER to my server, config the game, and move it back... ya know somethin else? Im lazy -_-. Any ideas? :mad: :mad:

EDIT: I cannot make a player on that machine, because it can't actually run the game, just the standalone...

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
WHOAH. Now you're replying faster than I can type :p

[EDIT] do you have any command lines going?

Only command line I used to START was -standalone, but I realized that the 1st person that came in could change my game name, so I experimented with other lines like -restricted and -multilog and -clientdamge, which I knew nothing about, so I just took 'em off... I think the server would work fine if I could just move my config over to it -_-

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
it might. i'm still kinda new at this myself :)

:o :o  I found a new file! Multi.cfg!

Lemme stick that little booger into my server and see what she does!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
give me the file now!

*everyone starts fighting over it*

Well bah... I might just copy my local install's entire data folder over there :mad: . Looks like Multi.cfg didn't do it, but im not quite sure, because the server list on FS2Net doesn't seem to update very often (it still lists the standalone that I hosted on this computer about 20 mins ago).

EDIT: It looks like my server wont contact FS2net at all... I compared the multi.log on my comp, and the one on the server...

Last line for the server:
03/04 16:21:59~   Searching for: 'Templar-04.fs2'   valid in mvalid.cfg

Line right after that one in mine:
03/04 16:13:21~   Searching for: 'Templar-04.fs2'   valid in mvalid.cfg
03/04 16:13:21~   Precompletion Missions Get: CheckSize = 7560, recvsize = 1260

(then mine goes on with a bunch of junk about FS2NETD, and how Ralph Nader is God)

EDIT of EDIT: Wow... I just copied my entire data folder to my server and it STILL wont work!!1!111!!:mad: :mad: :mad:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 04:31:32 pm by 2629 »