Author Topic: what if a system in Freespace goes supernova in the near future?  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
what if a system in Freespace goes supernova in the near future?
imagine that, on october 7, 2001, ross 128 goes nova or supernova. what then? would   just make a patch that changes all the mentioning of ross128 to some other system? you'd have to redo half the game! what do you think?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Shrike

• Postadmin
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp
Nope.  Why bother?
WE ARE HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS. YOU WILL LOWER YOUR FIREWALLS AND SURRENDER YOUR KEYBOARDS. WE WILL ADD YOUR INTELLECTUAL AND VERNACULAR DISTINCTIVENESS TO OUR OWN. YOUR FORUMS WILL ADAPT TO SERVICE US. RESISTANCE IS FUTILE.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Uh, Ross 128 isn't going to go supernova.

Ever.

There are a few that could, one of them being quite close to home.  Too close.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...
Yeah, Vega wont anytime soon either..
Maybe once all that gas condenses into a full star....

------------------
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard kids! Be evil!

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.
Even if Ross 128 went supernova tomorrow, we wouldn't find out until 2016 anyhow (unless we develop inter-system drives before then)

your source code slave

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
i was just using ross 128 as an example. how about i try this again:

imagine that, on october 7, 2001, (insert FS star system that could go nova or supernova here) goes nova or supernova. what then? would  just make a patch that changes all the mentioning of (insert FS star system that could go nova or supernova here) to some other system? you'd have to redo (insert amount of the game that would have to be re-done) of the game! what do you think?
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Yeah, people probably wouldn't bother. But it's an interesting idea. I think it would be somewhat more important if a local feature that was referenced to in FS was destroyed - a star is kind of remote. But I don't think there are many (if any at all) local features ref'd to in FS...
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
why? For what I know, New York never turned into a jail before 1997, and when they did Los Angeles 2013 (done in 98 I think), NY is still considered a jail :þ
Plus Freespace 2 is Science Fiction, and in science fiction there is... fiction! yeah  
With all the threads about that those days, it's obvious V didn't really care about realism regarding to systems. Capella in FS2 is not a binary, and I just read in  another thread that ikeya might me a comet  . Really, do you think they would even care if any systems went boom? No, they would just say: well, in the FS2 universe, it didn't. Just like Hitler died before begining WW2 in Red ALert.
SCREW CANON!

Offline penguin

• Eudyptes codus
  • Still alive.

Originally posted by venom2506:
why? For what I know, New York never turned into a jail before 1997

Don't forget, in "Escape From New York," Snake Pliskin lands his glider on top of the WTC...

One of the fun things about any kind of SF is to look at it a few years later and see what did or didn't happen (esp. the ones w/ "big" years in the title: 2001, 1984, and don't forget "Space: 1999")  The US/Soviet tension was mentioned in 2001 as well.  Anything that attempts to predict the future starts being wrong almost the day it's published.
If any of the star systems in FS went supernova, I doubt there'd be any revisionism, but I wouldn't count on that system being featured in any newly-created missions...
your source code slave

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
None of the stars in freespace are likely to go nova or supernova any time soon so I wouldn`t worry about it.
 A more likely one perhaps would be "What if an alien species make contact from one of the systems mentioned"
  Rather strangely though the best candidate for that (Tau Ceti) isn`t mentioned in Freespace
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Dark_4ce

• GTVA comedy relief
If a star ever went nova, blame the shivans.

------------------
Badges?! We don't need no stinking badges!!!
I have returned... Again...

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions

Originally posted by karajorma:
Rather strangely though the best candidate for that (Tau Ceti) isn`t mentioned in Freespace

The best candidate? How so? Anyway, it wasn't mentioned, but it's sure there on the map.  
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Yellow G-type star. 10 Light years away from earth. About the right age to have let life evolve.
 Tau ceti is on the map? Where? I`ve got about 3 node maps and I didn`t see Tau ceti on any of them? I need to know if it is cause I put part of my campaign there as an uncharted system.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?

Yellow G-type star. 10 Light years away from earth. About the right age to have let life evolve.
 Tau ceti is on the map? Where? I`ve got about 3 node maps and I didn`t see Tau ceti on any of them? I need to know if it is cause I put part of my campaign there as an uncharted system.

Nope, same here, it's not on the map, and I use it too  
SCREW CANON!

Offline Unidan

• http://unidan.stickserv.net/
1 word, BARBEQUE! SSSSSSSSSSSSSS
I'll think of a siggie later..

Offline Kitsune

About the same thing that happened a long while back when our latest stellar neighbor went supernova.  
The earth would be engulfed in light for a few days, making everyone get creeped out, then it would pass.

Why everyone thinks we'd be in any trouble is beyond me.
The only star we have to worry about is the one parked two planets in front of us.  And that isn't going to be an issue for a few billion years or so.

------------------
~Space Kitsuné
6-tailed modder.
~Space Kitsuné
6-Tailed RPG Nut.

"Why the hell don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"
"But Sir, we have Tempests, Rockeyes, and unknown bombs."
"Like I said ensign, 'Why don't we have any missles on this damn boat?!"

"I went to a fight last night and a hockey game broke out."  -Groucho Marx

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper

Originally posted by Carl:
i was just using ross 128 as an example. how about i try this again:

imagine that, on october 7, 2001, (insert FS star system that could go nova or supernova here) goes nova or supernova. what then? would  just make a patch that changes all the mentioning of (insert FS star system that could go nova or supernova here) to some other system? you'd have to redo (insert amount of the game that would have to be re-done) of the game! what do you think?

Ok, I'm amazed. How did you all completely miss what Carl's getting at?  

He's referring to the swarm of game developers who are modifying existing and future games to remove or "update" WTC references...  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline karajorma

• Administrator

Originally posted by Kitsune:
About the same thing that happened a long while back when our latest stellar neighbor went supernova.  
The earth would be engulfed in light for a few days, making everyone get creeped out, then it would pass.

Why everyone thinks we'd be in any trouble is beyond me.
The only star we have to worry about is the one parked two planets in front of us.  And that isn't going to be an issue for a few billion years or so.

Not true. A lot of scientists believe that a supernova can (and has) had serious effects on Earth.
 What's more the one from the cappella explosion would start reaching nearby stars 5-40 years later.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control

Originally posted by sandwich:
Ok, I'm amazed. How did you all completely miss what Carl's getting at?  

He's referring to the swarm of game developers who are modifying existing and future games to remove or "update" WTC references...  

Future games I can understand, but I think modifying existing ones is a bit unneccessary.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak

Theories about that Tau Ceti was renamed Vasuda when first contact was made.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord