Author Topic: An inconsistency?  (Read 1806 times)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Why didn't Command use the tried-and-true method of blowing stuff up inside the Knossos wormhole, rather than destroying the Knossos and maybe the wormhole?
-C

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Probably were skimping on the explosives; if one or two meson bombs does the job, why send a destroyer full of them through?

Offline WMCoolmon

Well, I don't think they had the time to pack a destroyer full of explosives from the discovery of the Knossos to the appearance of the Sathanas. But they should've had enough time to jury-rig an autopilot to one of the Tritons, send it into subspace, and then detonate the bomb.
-C

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
You will need like ten tritons for that, as a triton can carry at most one meson bomb.  Those bombs are huge!

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Yeah, but they presumably felt they needed more than one of them - otherwise why waste 2 Orions?

Other thing is that they maybe thought anything they did in transit, would be corrected and repaired by the Knossos; or that they reckoned node was unstable anyways, and it was only the Knossos holding it together.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Command believed that the knossos was generating the wormhole. IF you try to use the meson bombs when the wormhole is open you'd focus half the energy down the wormhole instead of at the knossos itself and the other half would go away from the knossos too.

Considering that the Knossos survived the first blast it probably would have survived the blast of a destroyer full of mesons and instantly restabilised the node.

They probably believed that to be a waste of energy considering that
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
Because they thought that the Knossos was holding the portal together, so why waist a destroyer when you can just blow up what they thought was holding it together with a single bomb?

Offline WMCoolmon

The Meson bomb generates an explosion FAR greater than any GTVA destroyer's, probably bigger than the Lucifer's. Packing the two destroyers with Meson bombs seemed to me like overkill, to make absolutely sure that the nodes collapsed that time around.

Plus, they apparently thought the Meson bomb would have some effect outside subspace; I remember something to the order of "hopefully" though, which doesn't make a lot of sense when you've got an unknown Juggernaught heading straight for you.
-C

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Two destroyers?  Only the Bastion blew up in Capella destroying the Capella-Epsilon Pegasi link.

The other one (GTD Nerid?) blew up the Vega-Capella link.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Because I suspect that wouldn't have been effective. The connection might have been disrupted momentarily, but the Knossos would have reestablished it. That's what it is there for, after all.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
if onyl command had delayed the detonation of those last two meson bombs until the sathanas emerged.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Dark RevenantX

• anonymity —> animosity
Multiple Meson Bombs are needed to blow a Sathanas.  The Knossos thing would have taken out at least 25% of its hull.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
how many are needed? isn't it 2 or 3?
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
IIRC wasn't there a time lag for the detonation sequence?  Which would make the meson bomb a little unsuitable for tactical use; the Sath could simply destroy them before they got too close (I'm assuming that - like a nuclear bomb - the meson bomb explosion requires a detonation sequence and blowing it up results in a less... 'impressive' explosion).