Author Topic: Hyperspace LOS  (Read 4084 times)

Offline Skullar

In TBP hyperspace you can hardly see a few hundred meters.

In the show's hyperspace you can see quite a distance clearly before things suddenly get foggy. Is there a way to fix that ?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Can't you use the range option under the FRED full nebula section to adjust this?
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
The range option affects when ships appear on the radar.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
We could use a skybox and almost completely transparet nebula poofs. But there is a 'bug' that needs to be fixed before.
The ships just disapear at a certain distance in nebulas.

Normaly covered by the poofs, it will be quite visible with the new poofs...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Something tells me there's gonna be an SCP feature request by TBP to alter the visibility distance in a nebular environment, in the FRED settings.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Hardly a priority, there are a lot more important stuff in the request list.

Offline Sparrow

Yeap,
for one side the Scylla mission in Hyperspace have a cool speed sensation as you fly across the fog but in the other side is not too much realistick with hyperspace seen in B5 and have a hell short visibility that made me lost the mission many times sinze i could not see the rotating section of the Hermes and i had trouble evading the Zephris while queeping close to the Hermes
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 03:55:22 am by 2560 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Originally posted by Sparrow
that made me lost the mission many times sinze i could not see the rotating section of the Hermes

So let's get this straight. You survive the wave after wave of fighters trying to nail your butt? Then after all that hard work you fly straight into the side of the rescue ship and die? :D Sorry. That's not funny. ;7
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Sparrow

Yeap its was less funny for me.. after wave after wave of loosy Zephrys firing at me and being at 5% or so hull is horrible being near the Hermes preparing to jump only to see that enormous rotating section appearing from nowhere straight to you and smashing ..

But i have had more inconvenient and stupid deaths, like the spy mission in wich you fly a Zephry, do all the mission and avoid the AAA and fighters coming from all sides to end up at 5% hull, Morpheus jumps in , about to jump and then Morpheus or some wingmen kill a enemy Zephry that just explodes along side me and takes me with him

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
about to jump and then Morpheus or some wingmen kill a enemy Zephry that just explodes along side me and takes me with him

Man that's hella unlucky. I can sympathise with you there. I had problems with that mission during testing. I got killed trying to warp out many times. Warping out is easily the most dangerous part of that mission.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by IPAndrews

Man that's hella unlucky. I can sympathise with you there. I had problems with that mission during testing. I got killed trying to warp out many times. Warping out is easily the most dangerous part of that mission.

Which is why I always kill all enemy fighters with the Morpheus before jumping out.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Trivial Psychic
Something tells me there's gonna be an SCP feature request by TBP to alter the visibility distance in a nebular environment, in the FRED settings.

There's already one by the Starfox mod for atmospheric missions, IIRc.

Offline Sparrow

conclusion :

So you can modify the far point of loss of sight in hyperspace to make it more realistick?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Can we modify it right now? No AFAIK.
Realistic? Since when hyperspace was realistic?
Is the current effect good enough? Yes.
Did the hyperspace effect change during the show(s)/movies? Yes.

Why fix something that works just fine?

Offline Sparrow

Sorry, me and the rotating section of the Hermes think another thing

Offline Edwin

Sorry, me and the rotating section of the Hermes think another thing

lol

i could see problems with not being able to see the rotating section untll it hitss you.

Offline Skullar

Referring to flyby scenes in the show I vote for the barely-visible hyperspace poofs thingy :

You said that at a certain distance things suddenly disappear , but thats fine with me.
There are moments in the show where you have whitestars in clear view, and then, when the distance gets greater, they just disappear as if a non-transparent poof had appeared.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Well, I think I explained the 'bug' wrong.

It's like the model just becomes black, so it's really visible in the nebula and then it just disapears. It's just ugly.
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Personally I like how our hyperspace currently works. Maybe we can double the view distance without having stuff just disappearing, but I prefer them to disappear as if being sucked in by the clouds. Not just like that.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
I'm with Fury on this. Plus the EA shouldn't be hiring pilots who fly into the sides of large ships. That's Star Fury flying 101 that is.