Author Topic: freding  (Read 4501 times)

Offline Fabbro

iv made a mission, but how do I play it?:confused:

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
It should be saved in you TheBabylonProject\Data\Missions folder.

Go to the tech Data and then the simulator.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Fabbro

I tryed that but it didnt work, there didnt seem to be any of the missions id downloaded in there either but I can play those

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Those missions are in the VP files in your main TBP folder (VP is basically a big package for containing all the game files. Sort of like a .zip but without the compression).

When you went to the simulator was is on campaign missions or did you try single missions too?

Maybe you have selected Campaing Missions in the techroom simulator? Ensure that "Single Mission" option is highlighted in lower left corner of mission simulator screen.
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline Fabbro

Im pretty sure I went on singl missons, but ill try it again next week (my gameing PC is at my dads house)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I have two files which might help mission designers if someone is willing to host them in some http accessable filespace for everyone to download.

The first is the 3.5.5 FRED Open. Which is very stable and generally worth having around for many reasons.

The second is Nebuilzer2. Which is a pseudo random background generator program. I say pseudo random because it tries not to pile nebulae one on top of the other. A problem in Kazan's background generator.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Sparrow

Yet another stupid question.. where is the mission editor:sigh:

I'm specielly interested in the nebulizer... could you tell me from where can i D-L it?
Expect the best. Be prepared for the worst.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by Psychoo
I'm specielly interested in the nebulizer... could you tell me from where can i D-L it?

Yes that's kind of my point. I need someone to host it so that everyone can download it.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Originally posted by Sparrow
Yet another stupid question.. where is the mission editor:sigh:

Accessible from the start menu. Or alternatively navigate to your TBP directory using windows explorer and run the executable called "FRED".

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
I can host the files :)

EDIT
primus_nova @ yahoo.com
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:15:39 am by 2137 »
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Ok excellent. Give me your email address (post it here or PM it to me) and I'll mail you the files. You can then post some links.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
:lol: I just edited my post.
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
It's okay. Mr Fury stepped in.

http://koti.mbnet.fi/fury/tbp/downloads/Nebulizer2.zip
http://koti.mbnet.fi/fury/tbp/downloads/fred2_open-3_5_5.zip

Some notes about these downloads:

1. FRED Open 3.5.5

Missions saved in the newer FRED are not compatible with this version of FRED. But missions saved in 3.5.5 are compatible with the newer FRED. This old version does not support all the features of the new version, but it does do some thing better than the new one. Such as background placement. It should be seen as a fall back position when the new one fails. It's also worth learning how to copy sections of a fs2 file from mission to mission using Notepad copy and paste.

2. Nebulizer 2

This thing is run from a command prompt and produces textual output which you can redirect to a file by putting ">file.txt" on the end of the command line when you run it. You copy the text into your .fs2 file using notepad. So you need to be familiar with the layout of the background section of the .fs2 file. It's not complicated! Just look at an existing mission in notepad and it's all there. It'll be obvious where the output from Nebulizer 2 goes.

There is a small error in the textual output of Nebulizer which is easily fixed using Notepda search and replace. Cookie to the first person who spots it!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 04:33:08 am by 43 »

Offline Fabbro

Iv got it working now, but I cant get the sharlins beam weapons to fire, how do I do that?

Offline Fergus

Either do a Beamfree-all event for the Sharlin, or have all beams enabled by default by pressing Shift+N and selecting the correct option.

Like so:
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 07:45:46 am by 2175 »
Generic signature quote blabber

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
You can also tell beams to fire manually with the (IIRC) fire-beam SEXP; you need to specify a beam turret with that.

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by aldo_14
You can also tell beams to fire manually with the (IIRC) fire-beam SEXP; you need to specify a beam turret with that.

True but that's best reserved for special cases (For instance if the plotline calls for a certain beam on the Sharlin to destroy a certain subsystem on an EA ship).

There is also a beam-free SEXP which unlocks a single beam but leaves it up to the computer when to fire it and at what.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2005, 10:57:55 am by 340 »

Offline Fabbro

Thanks for all the help guys, its truly apreciated :D