Author Topic: please tell me what to do  (Read 2238 times)

please tell me what to do
Hi. i dont know if my post here  is on topic or not, because i understand this is not a technical board for free space 2 . but please if you know haw to help me or at least tell my were to go  for help. actuly my problem is simple which is  i cant get the detecting   divice in the game launcher to read my display card whitch is rage 128 pro  and i allwayes end up with the  reading of the primary  display card  which gives no more than the    low resolution   of  640x480 .  i  wounder why  because  at games sutch tbp the lancher  could actuly read my display card and give me all choises of deffrent resolution? is that the maximum resolution for fs2 game? or somthing is rong with my settings?
not : am running a non origenal copy of the game  which means it is  fs2  but  i didnt buy the game i downloaded it from the net.:thepimp:

Offline n00by

Did you download the HOTU version (from The Underdog Project)? If so, you're simply missing the files needed to run FS2 at 1024*768...

edit:
Information about the missing files (and how to get them, of course:rolleyes: ) can be found here .
Install instructions: this  thread.

Enjoy ;7
« Last Edit: March 28, 2005, 11:13:32 am by 2659 »

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Wow, the n00b is already given advice :)

Gunnery control, target n00by.  Fire!
:welcome:

He's right though.  Look for the Freespace FTP thread in this forum for the location of all of the files that you need to use 1024x768.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

and that is a good advice i must say. as a matter  of fact  i did  get it from the home of the under dogs  as was  provided the link from tbp readme file.  and i was  sad to see the game coming up in sutch poor resolution  after i spend weeks downloading it on a 56 kps modem. well ok then  talking is over   and i will go try the files you gave me ;7
thanks a lot.

Offline n00by

Umm...no problem. Guess how long it took me to discover that such files even exist?:lol: And you've got hard work to do - downloading about 750 megs over 56k is gonna take a while - get broadband :p ;7.

OMG, xtr33m3 b4nn3r pwnage! W00t! *hides*

ok now i know about the missing files  .  i must say the files are too mutch for me to download i must try to  to get only the files for the hi resolution   i guess there called  sparky.vp.hi   i went to the ftp there are  8 kinds of sparky files data/maps ec... do  i need all of them? cant you tell me which one of them is  the one ?

Say...what?

Uh, maybe just buy the game? You can find it easily on Amazon.com. No need to download all the files, comes with the voice acting, command briefings, extra missions, Templar campaign, all kinds of cool things.

I repeat, buy the game on Amazon.com. It'll probably cost you about $10.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Um. Try $149

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002EPYV/qid=1112037268/sr=8-7/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i3_xgl63/103-8606441-7551811?v=glance&s=videogames&n=507846

The filenames and their sizes are given in the HotU page of my FAQ. There is a link to it on the Freespace 2 page on HotU you know :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

150$!!!!   for a game that is  6 years old?? no way man  i can get the newst  games  like  lords of the rings  or  halo2  for less than 50$ why is this game so expensive??  and only for 30 missons, i hear tbp is coming out with more than 48 mission free release so i think i ll whait  and  leave things the way it is for fs2 , its not so bad actuly it looks faster like this on my weak display card  but what about multy player please would  my copy of the game work on multy player or do i need extra stuff too?

Um. Try $149

:eek2:

Heh. My $70 Interplay Anniversary Edition doesn't seem so expensive now.

Offline Xelion

• In the Ether
Theres a user who apparently is in constant supply of Freespace2 20th Aniversary Edition. Try Ebay

Now that I've got SCP, I don't need my Fs2 Annivesary Edition disks. So...I could sell my $70 game for $150...hmm...

OMFG! I JUST MADE AN $80 PROFIT BY PURCHASING OVERPRICED SOFTWARE! YES! YES! YES!

Worth considering if I ever run low on money.

In celebration of this wondeful, self-centered moment in history, I'll shut up and never use caps-lock again. :D
« Last Edit: March 29, 2005, 08:15:10 pm by 1278 »

Offline Taristin

• Snipes
  • BlueScalie
    • Skelkwank Shipyards
Also, make sure to make a backup copy of those disks, too.
Freelance Modeler | Amateur Artist

Offline KappaWing

• Lost in the nebula
My discs were loaned out to my friend in florida after a HD crash. I had my projects backed up but I didn't have a copy of the Freespace discs to play them with! I was Freespace-less for a whole week until my friend got back... The worst week of my life. :sigh:

You definatey want to back them up on a CD and NOT on your HD, like some people do. :nod:
"Your efforts to interdict me have failed, papacy. Pentagon, engage propaganda drive."
"Now, Protestant scum, you will see the power of this fully armed and operational Papal Station!"

well. what if i decided to keep my  freespace 2  game as it is now
(hotu verison) . can i   playe multy player missions?  and  if yes from were can i download them. and what about patches and extra single missions and campains? would they work with me and olso what are the links?  and thank you

*bangs head against monitor*

Okay, from what I gather, you want more missions, right? Well, try the campaigns forum. Open the "campaign list" sticky, and follow the links. You can download hundreds of new missions and such.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by aceofbase
well. what if i decided to keep my  freespace 2  game as it is now
(hotu verison) . can i   playe multy player missions?  and  if yes from were can i download them. and what about patches and extra single missions and campains? would they work with me and olso what are the links?  and thank you

Multiplayer should work fine with HotU build but you'll need to download a new exe if you want to play on anything other than a LAN (or a direct IP game) because PXO the Retail multiplayer system was taken down a while back.

You can either use FS2_Open for this or Tom's Old Build. The latter is basically retail with the code for FS2NetD (The PXO replacement) added. It does everything FS2 will do won't play cutscenes though and I'm niot 100% it won't ask you for the CDs (which you obviously don't have). You should be able to get away with only using it for multiplayer though.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

ok, i got all the links  thats a great reply for my questions thank
you all :yes: