Author Topic: Afterburner problems  (Read 1527 times)

Offline Valius

Afterburner problems
This is an odd one. After going back to retail FS2 after several weeks, I noticed the afterburners werent working. They would engage and stop as soon as you pushed the button. I tried changing the key, even changing to the joystick and still the same thing. Even reinstalling didnt seem to help. Any suggestions?

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
From me FAQ

I'M PLAYING FS2 AND THE AFTERBURNER/ENERGY TRANSFER SYSTEM HAS STOPPED WORKING

This be an odd one. All th'cases I've seen o' it so far have occured on Windows XP an' it's likely that some change in a recent update be causin' it. The problem can be solved by runnin' FS2 in compatability mode. Open up yer Freespace folder an' look for FS2.exe. Make a short cut for this file an' position it wherever ye like (Desktop or Startmenu). Right click on icon an' choose properties. Click on th'Compatability tab an' choose which ever mode ye like (I've heard that Windows 95 works best but ye might find otherwise). Use th'icon t'run FS2 from now on.

FS2_Open does not have this problem anyway which is one more reason to get yourself to the SCP forum and take a look around :)
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Windows XP bug, somethin' t'do with th'system returnin' a negative time.  It's been fixed ages ago by th'SCP but kara's got the right solution for retail.

EDIT: Forgot all about compatability mode :rolleyes:
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
From me FAQ

FS2_Open does not have this problem anyway which be one more reason t'get yourself t'the SCP forum an' take a look around :)

Worth mentionin' here that Kara's FAQ be not written in Pirate (more's th'pity).

Aaar :arr:

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
A pirate version may or may not be a feature of FAQ v2 :D

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Yarr?

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Harr. th' faq could use a good fix.

yarr. :arr:
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Not to be picky, but while the afterburner problem was fixed (thank God), the briefing progression has not. I have to cycle to the end of the briefing and work backwards about 80% of the time. I'm kinda used to it, so it's not a big deal, I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

Oh yeah, and while changing the compatability in FSOpen fixes the issue, it causes a whole mess of problems with regards to flag detection in the launcher, and windows' inability to correctly shut down the game, sometimes forcing a restart. So windows comp is out.

Arrr!!!!  oh wait, I'm still a landlubber.

( Curses! Me thinks I  be enjoyin' th'  forums ;7 )
« Last Edit: April 06, 2005, 08:33:02 am by 1836 »
"Do you plunder?"
"I have been known to plunder..."
"I refer ye t' darkstar one, one o' th' newer big budget spacers - it's lack o' variety were bein' insultin', an' th' mechanics weren't polished at all.  Every time a title like wot comes out, it pushes th' return o' th' space shooter genre further down th' sea." - Talk like a pirate day '09
"Hope for the best, expect the worst." -Heinlein

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Originally posted by Lukeskywalkie
Not to be picky, but while the afterburner problem was fixed (thank God), the briefing progression has not. I have to cycle to the end of the briefing and work backwards about 80% of the time. I'm kinda used to it, so it's not a big deal, I'm just wondering if anyone else is having this issue?

Oh yeah, and while changing the compatability in FSOpen fixes the issue, it causes a whole mess of problems with regards to flag detection in the launcher, and windows' inability to correctly shut down the game, sometimes forcing a restart. So windows comp is out.

Arrr!!!!  oh wait, I'm still a landlubber.

( Curses! Me thinks I  be enjoyin' th'  forums ;7 )

If you're using SCP, don't use compatability mode.  That was for retail only.

As for the briefing scroll bug, I'm aware of it and have posted it on Mantis, but it seems that none of the coders have been able to replicate it for testing.  It's more specific than just XP, but it is a glitch that goes back into FS1 code.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Originally posted by Cobra
Harr. th' faq could use a good fix.

yarr. :arr:

What do you mean by that?