Author Topic: Starforge & The Infinite Fleet? or Shivan Armada?  (Read 6951 times)

Starforge & The Infinite Fleet? or Shivan Armada?
So is that Magog world-planet or whatever its called from Andromeda considered a dyson sphere?

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Akalabeth Angel
So is that Magog world-planet or whatever its called from Andromeda considered a dyson sphere?

Dyson sphere encapsulates a star; so unless it's a shell built around a star*, no.

*NB: doesn't have to be an all covering sphere; can be a network of satellites, rings, etc - i.e. anything that surrpunds a star and harnesses its power.

Offline Jal-18

Originally posted by Pnakotus

The 900km starship I referred to was the Death Star II.  The Executor can hardly crash into itself!

Ahh, I misread your sentence.  nvm then.

Wait, the DSII was 900 Km ind diameter? I was under the assumption is was far smaller than that.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Strictly speaking, the ISD Executor was about 4m in length iirc and made out of plastic, metal, tin foil etc etc ;) Though I seem to recall they had to make a big model of it for the surface skimming shots, though that may have been the Death Star itself ;)

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Originally posted by aldo_14

Anyways, are you sure you're not just having a go for the sake of it?

You've discovered my secret.

KOTOR blows.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

What I find silly is that several of you disregard and criticize this topic simply because the starforge is from the star wars universe. The concept in itself is worth an intelligent discussion, not critical chit chat.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
It really isn't though.  There is a slight problem with conservation of matter, and so no matter how you choose to explain it the Starforge concept just doesn't work.  Energy can be used to process materials, not make them.  Energy-to-matter can be a viable explanation, except the rate at which the thing is supposed to be able to produce ships is greater than the rate of fuel burn inside a star.  It just doesn't add up.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by StratComm
It really isn't though.  There is a slight problem with conservation of matter, and so no matter how you choose to explain it the Starforge concept just doesn't work.  Energy can be used to process materials, not make them.  Energy-to-matter can be a viable explanation, except the rate at which the thing is supposed to be able to produce ships is greater than the rate of fuel burn inside a star.  It just doesn't add up.

Coming from a universe built around the idea of the Force, I don't think it really has to make sense.

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
i vote Starforge/Sith Fleet, since the StarForge has the ability to create an infinite amount of ships.

and i don't think it needs a power source, AFAIK it has its own.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Originally posted by Airborne
What I find silly is that several of you disregard and criticize this topic simply because the starforge is from the star wars universe. The concept in itself is worth an intelligent discussion, not critical chit chat.

Problem is, it won't be. Simple as that, it starts off sensible and goes stupid every single time.

Edit : It's like saying 'Jam is better than Peanut Butter.' Theres no correct answer.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 01:37:05 pm by 394 »

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Jam!

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
Oh... alright, yes there is a correct answer ;)

Offline brugger

no, PEANUT BUTTER! wasn't there a campaign a while ago that tried to combine the different sci fi universes maybe they can solve this issue

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
spam fest!
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
It is now you've joined in ;)

Why does the phrase 'Professional Witness' come to mind? :p
« Last Edit: April 19, 2005, 05:30:02 pm by 394 »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
After the awing hit the executor it was effectively a huge chunk of space debris that blew up of it's own accord. Unless you're willing to argue that the main reactor core is positioned in the very front of the ship.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
no, what happened was the front of the ship collapsed, creating a chain reaction and the ship exploded.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
IIRC when the awing crashed into it the entire thing went out of control. Thus the ship was effectively destroyed, deaths star or not.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
yeah, the flames from the impact vaporized the helm controls. you guess the result. ;)