Author Topic: Starforge & The Infinite Fleet? or Shivan Armada?  (Read 6946 times)

Starforge & The Infinite Fleet? or Shivan Armada?
I haven't posted here in such a long time, but I've always wanted to start a thread on this particular topic.
If there was war being waged between the two, who would win? The Starforge from Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic? or the Shivan armada? For one, the Starforge is advanced to the point that it can constantly churn out warship after warship as long as it receives suitable energy from a star, which gives this massive battle station it's nickname: "The Starforge and The Infinite Fleet." On the other hand, we have no idea how many ships the Shivan armada is comprised of, though we sure got a taste of it in Freespace 2. Anyways, choose your side, and explain why you've reached this decision.
If one is unfamiliar with what the starforge is here are some reference sources (the first link being the best):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakatan_Empire

http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/starforge/index.html
http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/enemies/rakata.php
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:13:58 pm by 2051 »

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Sathani+supernova=win.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Shivan Armada. Granted, this Starforge you speak of sounds pretty nifty, if they can make ships as long as they have Star-nergy. But my reasoning is.. the Shivans probably grow their ships anyway. Plus they have beams, the subspace weaponry, etc... the Lucifer with it's awesome shield system... and you know, nobody else has subspace except people in the FS universe, so no tracking it. And I hate to use insubstantial evidence, but... I saw a long time ago(I think on HLP) a starmap of the entire galaxy of the FS universe, and there was a small corner, withthe systems the GTVA controls... And then the rest of it was a big-ass mess of red systems, all controlled by the Shivans. If they inhabit that much of the Milky Way, there's no way anything could defeat them.
Wh00t!? Vinyl? Is it like an I-pod 2 or something?

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

The Greatest Game in Existance

Here's a little background on the starforge and it's owners, so you can get an understanding of what fighting the starforge entails.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/technology/starforge/index.html
http://www.gamebanshee.com/starwarskotor/enemies/rakata.php
Here's an even greater reference:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakatan_Empire
I'll place all these links on my first post as well.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 09:11:32 pm by 2051 »

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
Oh. Oh. That's bad. Rakata kind of remind me of the Ancients in that they had a really old civilization before extinction. Anyway... Subspace weapon that blows up stars vs. thing that harnesses power from a star. I'm still sticking with Shivans, if only because I think they can't be stopped.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Sathanas Armada.
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Actually, this empire had a failsafe with which to counter a threat against the star forge, so one could argue that the Shivan's method of destroying the star that supplies it's energy can no longer apply either. Within this star system is a planet that holds a temple, which in turn holds a special device. Here's the info:The Rakata home world orbited the sun to which the Star Forge was linked. On this planet the Rakata built a temple that housed a generator for a defensive field around the Star Forge. The field disrupted any electronic equipment that approached the Star Forge, causing ships to be caught in the gravitational field of the Rakatan planet. The Unknown World, as it was called, was littered with the wreckage of thousands of years of ships unlucky enough to stumble upon the Star Forge.

Plus, what brought the Rakatan Empire's downfall wasn't another civilization's intervention, but in fact the fault of the dark side of the force that surged within the station. So unless you want to stick to the realm of the Star Wars universe, I believe this drawback really doesn't apply.
Read the reference pages I added to my first post if you'd like, I added a wiki version.

*votes Shivans*

No offense to the Star Wars universe, but two hundred Sathanas, each with 4 BFReds and nearly 70 defensive turrets...unstoppable. Each Sathanas is capable of deploying nearly 300 strikecraft, according to a chart on the Ross 128 website. Which, sadly, has now gone kaput... :(

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
The Sathani do not need to close the Starforge to blow up the star it orbits, and once that happens, then everything insystem is well and truly screwed. They seemed to be a good distance away from the Capella star, after all. And the anti-electronics field may not necessarily work on Shivan systemry, which is apparently quite functionally different from that of Humans or Vasudans.

On the other hand, if they realized in time that the Shivans were not using hyperdrives, the owners of the Star Forge might throw up hefty blockades at the jump nodes into the system. They don't have to understand what subspace is or how the drives work for that: just that the Shivans have to enter a system through fixed points. But that's a pretty big if.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2005, 11:44:16 pm by 2191 »
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

I agree the Saths could probably destroy the star.  I also think the Starforge is a laughably lame piece of SW EU rubbish.

I don't, however, think blowing up the star would destroy the Starforge.  A Trade Federation 'war freighter' has the heat dissipation on its shields to sit in a star until it's fuel runs out, years down the road - I would be surprised if the Starforge was weaker than a converted freighter.  But then, the SW EU is stupid, so who knows.

Er, excuse me if I'm not mistaken here, but the starforge requires star energry + the force to run, not just starnergey.  Which kinda means you've got to have a jedi running the show, and a very very powerful one at that (for information on what happens when a not powerful enough jedi tries to run it, see KotOR2 w Revan as a darkside).  One of those jedi powers is the "Holy crap Jedi spider-sense" which does tend to push it a little bit back in the favor of star forge.

Honestly though, the shivans are probably in a good bit of trouble.  The forge is not an easy thing to find, we don't even know if there are any jump points to that system, and freespace 1 could've been subtitled "Shivan Naked Gun 4 1/4: Where's earth?".  It takes the PC a good bit of time to find it despite all the hints left for him and his magical spider sense.  I have a feeling the shivans might take a very, very long time to find it.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
The shivans wouldnt realy care probably, if it was in their way they'd blow it up though.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Snuffleupagus would win!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
The thing is - the Star Forge can produce an endless supply of Star Destroyers, yes?

That means the Shivans must break trough the defensive armada first...
Since we don't know the power of SW warships of that era or how effective theri shields would be against Shivan weaponry, or the other way around, this whole debate is...senseless..
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Aren't Photons essentially light, or particles thereof?

Do SW Shields block light?
Carpe Diem Poste Crastinus

"When life gives you lemons...
Blind people with them..."

"Yah, dude, penises rock." Turambar

FUKOOOOV!

Offline Ghost

• whoopdidoo
In concordance with ngtm1r's statement, The Sath's were quite a distance away. Look at the size of the star compared with the size of the Sath's in the cutscene. Plus, BEAMZ! Take (most of) the forge off the star,  and then *ploop* goes the star.

[/sarcasm]

-KappaWing

Except that doesn't matter: the Starforge could likely survive the explosion.

Although it is a scifi-stupid Really Fast Supernova so it's probably funky.  I'll take 10e22 heat dissipation over FS hull armour any time, though.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
units?
actualy, mabye not.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
Didn't we already have this discussion that the units of measure in star-wars are off by a few billion?
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Well, as the name implies, this huge station "forges" starships at a constant rate. And I think if put into the right hands... oh let's say the Terrans and Vasudans... well I think we've just found a way to counter the Shivans. The priority for using this weapon of course is to constantly have your starships on the offensive, so that your enemy can never get too close to your means of supply. Just think of what the GTVA could do with a steady stream of Aeolus class cruisers, Deimos class corvettes, and Colossus class superdestroyers. Not to mention the other ships in the GTVA's arsenal.