Author Topic: Whats the Yield of the Helios?  (Read 6941 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Whats the Yield of the Helios?
Originally posted by StratComm
23kg of antimatter + 23kg of matter = about 2 gigatons, but with only 23kg of reactant that you have to carry.

No it doesn't.

Look at the bottom of this Wikipedia entry

1kg mass converted = 21Mt

So 50kg of matter and antimatter = ~1000Mt = ~1 gigaton

So unless you're all using different figures for the Megaton from me I don't know why you're getting different results. (Of course I'm assuming 100% conversion and that none of the energy is carried away by neutrinos).
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Cannikin

• 800 Gigatons of Whoop-Ass
Originally posted by Jetmech Jr.
Hey! Cannikin's back!

Heh, didn't think anyone would remember me around here.

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Originally posted by Singh
one thing to note: the explosions from a cyclops and helios are deadly to fighters without shields, otherwise it simply seems to wash over them, indicating that the shields fighters possess are of either considerable strength, or use some mechanism that repels the energy from shockwaves fromt hem.

Maybe shields are more sensitive to kinetic (ie physical) impacts. The Avenger and Flail, IIRC, were both ballistic-style weapons.
-C

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
according to cannon shields actually fail against em weapons, like the kayser or the banshee. with that little piece of data i dont see why emp blasts of nuclear weapons dont completely destroy shields. or perhaps the em of nukles are far less precisely tuned to result in shield damage while em weapons are. none the less if your at ground zero of a nuke blast your gonna hurt.

does anyone know what part of the em spectrom would mater/antimatter detonation generate. perhaps the gtva has the technology to precisely tune there weapons of mass destruction fully to the infrared spectrum thus causing more thermal damage.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
A matter/AM explosion would dissapate almost all it's energy as gamma rays.

Some of that energy would be taken in by the surrounding materials and re-radiated with other wavelengths (Explaining why AM explosions aren't completely invisible).

So if shields are largely immune to gamma rays it might explain why they can survive a helios burst nearby.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
so its essentially the metal in the microwave thing.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN