Author Topic: I'm totally confused.  (Read 6142 times)

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Age
What I meant by number 3 was, that you people speak of "Glowpoints", "shinemaps", "sexp's", and such.

But I'm willing to learn all that :D

It becomes very easy to grasp quite quickly :D

I should be adding these to my glossary anyway so you get a nice explaination for free :D

• Glowpoint - Basically the glowing engine thrusters that FS2 capships used to have have now been extended so that you can use them anywhere on the ship (for instance in order to have blinking runway lights etc)
  • Glowmap - A second texture (denoted by _glow following the name) that is applied to a ship after the main one. Unlike glowpoints glowmaps do not actually give out light. They simply show particular parts of the texture as if they were fully lit.
  • Shinemap - A third texture (denoted by _shine following the texture name) that tells FS2 which parts of a ship should be made to look shiny.

Anything else I should add?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
  • Shinemap - A third texture(denothed by _shine following the texture name) that tells FS2 what color should the reflected light be from the ship.

(As a result white parts will be fully reflective, shiny; black matte, red parts will only reflect red light and so on...of course this means the shiny parts will be red if the lightsource is red.)
[/list]

Hmm...bob's superdetail boxes, the particle system, environment maps, overexposure are a few things that aren't known when they should be or asked way too many times when it was already experimented with.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
/me makes his "feature of the whatever" suggestion for the SCP once more. ;)

Glowpoints have been around since before the SCP, as well. Overexposure isn't actually in the EXEs, unfortunately.
-C

Offline Getter Robo G

• Elite Super Robot Pilot
Can I get a FS2 specific shinemap tutorial? I figured out glowmaps on my own (obviously) :D  IDK still if I want to impliment them for everything but I want to try some experiments....
"Don't think of it as being out-numbered, think of it as having a WIDE target selection!"

"I am the one and ONLY Star Dragon..."
Proof for the noobs:  Member Search

[I'm Just an idea guy, NOT: a modeler, texturer, or coder... Word of advice, "Watch out for the ducks!"]

Robotech II - Continuing...
FS2 Trek - Snails move faster than me...
Star Blazers: Journey to Iscandar...
FS GUNDAM - The Myth lives on... :)

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Alpha controls how much env mapping applies to the surface, think of it as reflectivity.

The rest of the texture measures the shininess of the texture - pure black won't shine at all, pure white will shine readily (as will pure red, pure green, pure blue, or any combination of them). If one section of the texture is purple, when that section shines, it'll have a purple shine.

For a sort of poor-man's bumpmapping, you can set parts of the texture that should be indented to have lower shine-color values.
-C

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The reason I brought it up is every once in a while the same story has to be told.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Bob's original fighter beam code doesn't seem to have happened all that time ago - you know, the one where the source code was first out, the one where daveb commented that Bob was doing something problematic or something.

Eh Age - I'd go here and get the following: :

1. Launcher 5
2. fs2_open 3.6.5 Installer
3. 3.6.6 Media VP Use the Zpack - it complies everything.

1 and 2 are the program files. 3 is the art that takes full advantage of the new programming.

Glowpoints, shinemaps etc... are just for individual terms for programming improvements to the game - big major shocking ones, sure, but you'd see it as soon as you jump into FS2 anyways.

We speak English.
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline Inquisitor

Have we really been doing this since 2001....
No signature.

Offline phreak

• Gun Phreak
actually it was 2002, since the vbb had just died.
Offically approved by Ebola Virus Man :wtf:
phreakscp - gtalk
phreak317#7583 - discord

Offline Nix

• In the morning!
    • Minecraft

2. fs2_open 3.6.5 Installer

If you crash on the third mission of retail, you'll need to also pick up an updated build of the EXE.  Then using the Launcher, select the new executable. I had a strange bug that would totally crash to desktop (CTD) right as soon as the two cruisers Glorious and Impervious jumped in.  Using a new build fixed that.

Offline Age

Thanks for the help on getting me set up with FSO... Looks awesome, but I have a small problem:

Note in this image that my radar is off to the right. This is happening not only with the radar, but the briefing diagrams and speech-text as well. Any ideas? :D

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
I've never seen 640x480 art used at the "standard" high-res size before.  Missing sparky_hi_fs2.vp, are we?
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
!!!Almost forgot!!!

Another deviously abandoned/unknown feature:

What happened to decals?

Offline Age

I've never seen 640x480 art used at the "standard" high-res size before. Missing sparky_hi_fs2.vp, are we?

Link please? :D

Offline Unknown Target

• Get off my lawn!
  • Push.Pull?
The decals are in the code, you just have to implement them in the weapons tables.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Age
I've never seen 640x480 art used at the "standard" high-res size before. Missing sparky_hi_fs2.vp, are we?

Link please? :D

Check the Freespace FTP thread in General FS or simply look at the HotU section of my FAQ.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]