Author Topic: HTL Iceni  (Read 133206 times)

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
The Executor was an exception - they lost their shields and were under *stupid* orders to stand ground no matter what.

...and probably every Stardestroyer has *real metal* shutters to protect the bridge in such an event.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
The Imperial fleet relied so much on its precious shields that when they went down, they got 0wned really fast. They're great if you're fighting isolated rebels and pirates, not so much when you're facing a whole fleet.

Mon Calamari were smart and implemented backup shield systems.
-C

Offline Jal-18

The Executor also lost it's fire-control system, (destruction of the dome) and was thus unable to hit the nimble A-Wing before it hit.

Offline knn

I`m on holiday right now, so I can`t work on the model, however I have a completely new model in my head, I know how to model the head and the rear to look much better. I`ll try to draw some drafts later and scan them, but don`t expect me to start working on it until August. Sorry
BTW, the neck will have superstructure, I`ve removed the fairy tale castle roof.
About the Executor: yup, the shields were down, I think there`s a mission in XWAlliance to take down the shield generators, and in SW3 we could see that the command ship had shutters, so I guess imperial ships also had them. However, the AWing hit so hard it completely destroyed the bridge of the otherwise heavily damaged ship. It would`ve been destroyed w/o that AWing
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

As far as I'm concerned the destruction of the Executor was a freak accident.

LOL.

back on topic, i think we can get away with windows on the front of the iceni because almost every darn sci-fi known to man has them (COUGH ENTERPRISE-D'S TEN FORWARD COUGH) --- so...i dont see a reason to argue with it. So long as it looks good and fits in Freespace 2's universe, it's all good

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
Its not glass though. Its the toughest transparent material known to man. For security reasons they don't make entire ships out of them though.

It'd make a great poor-man's cloaking device though. It'd be a bit embarassing when someone had to go to the John, but, well, in a battle situation it might be a useful distraction. :p
-C

Offline Ypoknons

• Ancient
    • http://www.xwaupgrade.com
Look at the size of that thing! (About the distractions part...)
Long time ago, you see, there was this thing called the VBB and... oh, nevermind.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by Mefustae
Am i the only one who cringes whenever you see Bridge Windows or a Bridge right at the front of a SpaceShip, essentially where most of the firepower of an enemy ship is going to impact. Sure, it looks good, but it'd make much more sense to have the Bridge of a ship farther back in a more sheltered area, you lose the view, but you also lose the fear that at the smallest hint of fire, your 'windows' will smash and you'll experience the delightful pleasure explosive decompression bequeaths upon one's body...

How else will you be able to see where you're going? :confused:

;)

Offline knn

I don`t agree with you Gregster. The Hecate, the Deimos, the Iceni, they all have a big, windowless, heavily armored and armed front, they look like they were designed for frontal assault (but they are not so good at it, especially the Hecate).
As far as I'm concerned the destruction of the Executor was a freak accident.

It was, that`s what I said, but the Executor would`ve been destroyed anyway. For a movie, this looks better than shooting at it for 3 hours until it blows up.
Oh, and [COUGH] the Enterprise D is a diplomatic and exploration ship, not a battleship. [/COUGH] The Iceni is. It`s a "tough nut": few windows (I won`t put any on the large middle armor section and on the front), lots of armor.
"Don't try to be a great man, just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -- Zefram Cochrane

Yanno, you're right --- Iceni shouldn't have windows on the front. It should have windows in its "armpits" where armored portions give way to the soft squishy jelly goodness in the center of the donut...mmm....er..

lol.

Offline Woolie Wool

• Fire main batteries
Originally posted by WMCoolmon
Its not glass though. Its the toughest transparent material known to man. For security reasons they don't make entire ships out of them though.

It'd make a great poor-man's cloaking device though. It'd be a bit embarassing when someone had to go to the John, but, well, in a battle situation it might be a useful distraction. :p

"See through you, we can.":p:lol:
16:46   Quanto   ****, a mosquito somehow managed to bite the side of my palm
16:46   Quanto   it itches like hell
16:46   Woolie   !8ball does Quanto have malaria
16:46   BotenAnna   Woolie: The outlook is good.
16:47   Quanto   D:

"did they use anesthetic when they removed your sense of humor or did you have to weep and struggle like a tiny baby"
--General Battuta

Offline knn

I'm working on the new version, go to the first page and look at the first post to see the new front

Offline Admiral Nelson

• Resurrecter of Campaigns
  • The GTA expects that every man will do his duty.
From the personal log of Admiral Aken Bosch:

I went EVA around my ship today to inspect turret orientations. And was all the savagery and terror of my regime for this?   Am I to lead humanity to its destiny in the NTF NearlyACube?  Even the pharohs in their divinity could never have imagined a low poly piece of junk as this! Can knn save humanity from its fate at the hands of the destroyers and give us a worthy vessel, or must we all perish as the countless civlizations that proceeded us did???
If a man consults whether he is to fight, when he has the power in his own hands, it is certain that his opinion is against fighting.

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
I kinda allways assumed the windown were of a realyl tough material and that ships had metal shutter.

When I make my warships I allways put the windows in deep indents for two reasons:
1. It's hard to hit them.
2. Leaves lots of room for thick mettalic sheilds :D ..come to think of it - they can be added with a animation SEXP.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
Allmost forgot - for the neck you might want to try the same thing I did for the Hecate neck - doesn't use much polies nad looks good too...
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline CaptJosh

I was scrolling up and reading and I wanted to point out a minor detail about that "dome." Unless I'm thinking of a totally different scene, that was a spheroid, and it was the shield generator, not fire control.

EDIT: Seems a bit odd for a ship that big to have only one shield generator, though. Maybe it was only for the bridge area.
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
It has two.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
*grips Josh by the shoulders and looks deeply into his eyes*

This. Is. Not. The. Thread. For. That. Discussion.

How's the Iceni coming along? At the moment I think it needs a more extensive remodeling than what's currently being applied.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline CaptJosh

Speaking of the Iceni, has anyone seen it in the new VP files? I've already reported this in the VP release thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had seen it. The reason, well, just take a look at this post:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,35883.msg743832.html#msg743832
CaptJosh

There are only 10 kinds of people in the world;
those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Also not the thread for THAT discussion.  I haven't had the chance to check out the MediaVPs yet, but I was about to.  I'll post any comments in the appropriate thread.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM