Author Topic: Jumping space stations  (Read 3037 times)

Offline Fodder

Jumping space stations
In the first level of mission pack 1 (In Light and Darkness), you can order the Orion station to jump into hyperspace.  It's an amazing sight.  This is actually a problem that plagues some maps.  Many currently friendly ships can be ordered to depart before they turn hostile.  Sometimes this makes things easier but sometimes it screws up the plot leading to never ending missions.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Damn, he has a ponit. ;)

Very well done. Looks like your pretty good at finding bugs. You should beta test our releases. :)
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Unfortunately most missions in the MP1 are nearly 4 years old. When R3 was released, the missions were quickly updated to show new backgrounds since old backgrounds did not either exist or filename was changed.

The task of updating those missions have been given to the FRED Academy. TBP staff unfortunately do not really have the time to go through very old missions, we're struggling with new content enough as is.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
But I think we should be careful not to make the player able to have ships jump out before they turn hostile.

I can't check it right now, but I think it was possible in one of the newer missions...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Probably, mission designers rarely remember to check everything. That's why there are beta testing periods these days, unfortunately last time it wasn't all too active in the end.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
It's an easy mistake to make. Especially when you have a lot of ships in a mission.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

If it was B4 it would actually make sense.

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Only if B4 was near a jumpgate.  It was capable of making a jump, but not generating a vortex all by itself.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline -Norbert-

Would it even fit through a jumpgate.
I remember in Thirdspace they streched the jumpgate to, what Corwin said, was the maximum and the Thirdspace gate barely fit through.
And B4 has a quarter more diameter then the gate in the least, even if they demontate the solar panels.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
There's no maximum for the vortex itself (remember Drakh?). I would presume that another ship could open the portal for B4... Though it might require somewhat large amount of power.
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline Sparrow

If im on a mission being fired upon and firing and sudenly i see a Space station forming a jump point and go away i would laught my *** off..

Again the Drakh Battlewaggon, even the smaller screen proof states it at +20kms so if that... thing can jump B4 only need enought energy (and jump engines capable of handle it) to mantain the jump point. The jump point being sized up to the maximun in Thirdspace (or in that episode where a Kamikaze Centuri cruiser tries to blow up the jump gate) is the maximun of that jump gate, jump gates have a maximun energy capacity so the size of the vortex would be the maximun that gate is capable of handle

Offline Ace

• Truth of Babel
    • http://www.lordofrigel.com
Hrmm... why do I have the sudden urge to make a mission set during the last Shadow War where the player is a scouting Nial and Babylon 4 jumps in with a fleet of Minbari and Vorlon ships to a new 'safe location' which is a Shadow ambush.
Ace
Self-plagiarism is style.
-Alfred Hitchcock

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Cause that would be a kick arse mission? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Sparrow

Yeap but you can win ramming the shadow vessels with B4 :D