Author Topic: They didn't have to blow up the Knossos  (Read 10059 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
They didn't have to blow up the Knossos
I think it's pretty clear that the GTVA didn't know the Knossos was there beforehand.  Now they may have moved the prototype Meson bombs into the region in order to shut it down, should the need arise, after the Shivan threat was first discovered.  However, everything in the game simply points to Bosch finding out about the knossos and how to activate it from Ancient records and sending a special ship, previously ostensibly loyal to the GTVA, to turn it on and make contact with the Shivans.  Bosch's prior knowledge of it is pretty clear, but I doubt he got any of that knowledge from GTVA command.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline WMCoolmon

• Purveyor of space crack
I meant that the Shivan ships warped in and Command sent ships to investigate. I really doubt there was only 24 hours for Command to prepare for something *big* to come through the node.

Command may have been overconfident but it wasn't that overconfident.
-C

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
nah, i don't think it was overconfidence. just plain stupidity. all they could have done was shut down the portal, and the Gamma Draconis-Nebula jump node wouldn't have been stabilized and the Sathanas wouldn't have came to GTVA space.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Cobra
nah, i don't think it was overconfidence. just plain stupidity. all they could have done was shut down the portal, and the Gamma Draconis-Nebula jump node wouldn't have been stabilized and the Sathanas wouldn't have came to GTVA space.

And just how do you shut down the portal Cobra? Bosch maybe knew how but he took the information into the nebula with him.

On top of that who says that the node wasn't stabilised during the thousands of years the knossos was in "power saving mode"?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Boomer

More like residual centripetal motion.

Not quite Goob.  The existence of centripetal force is completely qualitative.  i.e.  There are no physical manifestations of centripetal force in the universe (as we know it anyway) and besides, you forgot about inertia:

Objects at rest want to stay at rest, objects in motion want to stay in motion.  

And Newtons 2nd law (I think):

An object going on a set course will not deviate from that course unless acted upon by a net force.

When the Meson Bombs went off, they threw off the mechanical precision that kept the Knossos traveling in a circle, when this happened, the pieces would continue in the last direction in which they were going, and without the net force evident in the intact knossos, they should have flown off.

Its like spinning on one of those rotating things in the park and then letting go.

Finally, I believe that any "centripetal force" would be quickly overcome by the centrifigul force due to the fact that it is favored by the all powerful forces of thermodynamics.

It is easier for the pieces to spread outward than to try to congregate in one space, therefore, the thermodynamic process favors the flying of the pieces away from each other.

Ahhh...  Macro chemistry...
Viva la UBERBOMB!

"I have no gods, only questions." -Me

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Look on the bright side, it looks absolutely nothing like a penis.-Turambar

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Originally posted by Boomer
Its like spinning on one of those rotating things in the park and then letting go.

They're called merry go-rounds. Yeah, they look nothing like them, considered dangerous nowadays. :p

Offline Boomer

Oh, yeah.  I realized that about five minutes after submitting the post and couldn't get to a computer.  I was hoping to get back before anyone replied.....:o
Viva la UBERBOMB!

A man once came to me and asked me to express a profound thought.  I told him.....<Static>...

Offline Flipside

• əp!sd!l£
I always called 'em roundabouts, but then, we used to sit on the roundabout and sharpen ice-lolly sticks on the tarmac, kind of like sitting on a sharpening wheel and spinning the world ;)

Ahh my daily dose of fine english slang.

Offline FireCrack

• meh...

Not quite Goob.  The existence of centripetal force is completely qualitative.  i.e.  There are no physical manifestations of centripetal force in the universe (as we know it anyway) and besides, you forgot about inertia:

An object going on a set course will not deviate from that course unless acted upon by a net force.

When the Meson Bombs went off, they threw off the mechanical precision that kept the Knossos traveling in a circle, when this happened, the pieces would continue in the last direction in which they were going, and without the net force evident in the intact knossos, they should have flown off.

Finally, I believe that any "centripetal force" would be quickly overcome by the centrifigul force due to the fact that it is favored by the all powerful forces of thermodynamics.

It is easier for the pieces to spread outward than to try to congregate in one space, therefore, the thermodynamic process favors the flying of the pieces away from each other.

Ahhh...  Macro chemistry...

Centripital force indeed does exist and has many manifestations, the centripital force on our moon comes from earths gravity, on a roller coaster it comes from contact with the rails.

Centrifugal force, on the other hand, is not real, it's an imaginary force that is said to be equal to centripital force and in the opposite direction.

Though it's likely you just got the names confused.

And while the peices should spread apart, ingfame they dont, they fly together.
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline Boomer

Centripital force indeed does exist and has many manifestations, the centripital force on our moon comes from earths gravity, on a roller coaster it comes from contact with the rails.

Ouch.  I need to learn to check my wording TWICE before a post.  My bad.  :nervous:

(That's what I get for reading a physics book from the 60's...)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2005, 10:11:49 pm by 2689 »
Viva la UBERBOMB!

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions

As FireCrack said, you may have confused centripetal force with centrifugal force (which is the force that "doesn't exist" as such).  Having taken physics in high school and college, I'm quite familiar with both concepts.

And please read my comments in context.  I wasn't arguing for a specific physical model so much as wondering why the Knossos acted the way it did.
This is what the pieces should have done.  It's not what we see in game, and this is what FireCrack, aldo, and I (and others) were speculating about.

In suggesting "residual centripetal motion" I thought that the destruction of the Knossos caused the pieces to stop rotating.  Since they came to a halt, they had no inertia keeping them from falling toward the center of the node.

Another possibility is that the Knossos was pushing the pieces outward rather than pulling them inward.  In this case, the pieces would be moving much more slowly than their orbital velocity.  If an unstable subspace node exerts a strong centripetal force, than the only way to keep the Knossos pieces at that radius is to 1) rotate them extremely quickly (which may not be conducive to stablizing a node), or 2) counteract that force to some extent and rotate them more slowly.  Perhaps the Knossos counteracts that force when it's operating; therefore when it stops operating, the pieces are sucked inward.

Offline Boomer

In suggesting "residual centripetal motion" I thought that the destruction of the Knossos caused the pieces to stop rotating. Since they came to a halt, they had no inertia keeping them from falling toward the center of the node.

I see what you mean now.  I had to sketch it out to get the correct image.  That would work.  However, that doesn't explain why the shockwaves from both the Meson warheads and the explosion caused by the Knossos tearing itself apart didn't send it flying outward initially and then slowing down.

Another possibility is that the Knossos was pushing the pieces outward rather than pulling them inward. In this case, the pieces would be moving much more slowly than their orbital velocity. If an unstable subspace node exerts a strong centripetal force, than the only way to keep the Knossos pieces at that radius is to 1) rotate them extremely quickly (which may not be conducive to stablizing a node), or 2) counteract that force to some extent and rotate them more slowly. Perhaps the Knossos counteracts that force when it's operating; therefore when it stops operating, the pieces are sucked inward.

And 2 points I'd like to make on this.
1st)  Isn't centripital force varied inversely to velocity?  If so, then unstable jump nodes that appear at random (the tech room said that some only lasted a few seconds) would have a severe effect on ships nearby when they appeared.  I'm not sure if the above assumptions are correct so let me know if I'm wrong.

2nd)  There hasn't been any proof that subspace nodes (even unstable ones) interact with normal space in any physical way except when matter is vibrating at the n-dimensional frequency.  And if they did, would the effect not be more pronounced with stable jump nodes?

While I'm putting forth rampant speculation, I would like to give an alternative that might plausibly support Goobers hypothesis:

The Knossos itself is vibrating at or extremely close to the n-dimensional frequency.  They wouldn't go into subspace because they're not quite on the dot, but they'd be close enough to have an influence on subspace.

And.... Yes, for the moment I'm done rambling.  Let the dissection commence!!
Viva la UBERBOMB!

Offline Cobra

• Snake on a Cain
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
Originally posted by karajorma

And just how do you shut down the portal Cobra? Bosch maybe knew how but he took the information into the nebula with him.

On top of that who says that the node wasn't stabilised during the thousands of years the knossos was in "power saving mode"?

if you recall, Admiral Petrarch said that they would keep the portal active while prof. hargrove's team studied the knossos, so they must have at least known how to shut it down.
To consider the Earth as the only populated world in infinite space is as absurd as to assert that in an entire field of millet, only one grain will grow. - Metrodorus of Chios
I wept. Mysterious forces beyond my ken had reached into my beautiful mission and energized its pilots with inhuman bomb-firing abilities. I could only imagine the GTVA warriors giving a mighty KIAAIIIIIII shout as they worked their triggers, their biceps bulging with sinew after years of Ivan Drago-esque steroid therapy and weight training. - General Battuta

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
And 2 points I'd like to make on this.
1st)  Isn't centripital force varied inversely to velocity?  If so, then unstable jump nodes that appear at random (the tech room said that some only lasted a few seconds) would have a severe effect on ships nearby when they appeared.  I'm not sure if the above assumptions are correct so let me know if I'm wrong.
I'm not sure which 'velocity' you're talking about, but given F=ma (or F=mv/s) it's not inversely proportional.  An unstable node would, however, generate a strong effect when it appeared, according to the second theory.  That's another gap in our knowledge that we're currently unable to fill.  Whether it's more or less pronounced for stable vs. unstable nodes is anyone's guess.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Originally posted by Cobra
if you recall, Admiral Petrarch said that they would keep the portal active while prof. hargrove's team studied the knossos, so they must have at least known how to shut it down.

Or he simply meant that they wouldn't call in half the fleet and blow it to kingdom come.

It would hardly be active after the fleet reduced it to dust.

Besides let me ask you one thing. If command knew how to turn off the Knossos why bother trying to blow it up in the first place? Surely they would have tried flicking the off switch. :rolleyes:
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by High Max

Also, I think it's funny when a fighter hits a Knossos and gets knocked away:D. I wonder what the outcome would be if someone used FRED to place a cruiser or larger ship in front of one of the moving parts of a Knossos. Like if I started a mission and 2 seconds into it, a Knossos component hits the warship that is in its line of travel. Someone should try that and see what happens:D

Tried that, the ship vibrates a lot, then it just pops out from inbetween the "blades."
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline FireCrack

• meh...
Centripital force = ( Mass*Velocity^2 )/Radius
actualy, mabye not.
"When ink and pen in hands of men Inscribe your form, bipedal P They draw an altar on which God has slaughtered all stability, no eyes could ever soak in all the places you anoint, and yet to see you all at once we only need the point. Flirting with infinity, your geometric progeny that fit inside you oh so tight with triangles that feel so right."
3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375105820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211706...
"Your ever-constant homily says flaw is discipline, the patron saint of imperfection frees us from our sin. And if our transcendental lift shall find a final floor, then Man will know the death of God where wonder was before."

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by karajorma

Besides let me ask you one thing. If command knew how to turn off the Knossos why bother trying to blow it up in the first place? Surely they would have tried flicking the off switch. :rolleyes:

They wanted to be sure.

"For strategic and scientific reasons"; perhaps they were attempting to gain data that might be useful for their attempts to build a Knossos in Delta Serpentis. It seems the most probable reason to tack a "scientific" on there, since they seemed quite sure the node would destablize.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by ngtm1r
"For strategic and scientific reasons"; perhaps they were attempting to gain data that might be useful for their attempts to build a Knossos in Delta Serpentis. It seems the most probable reason to tack a "scientific" on there, since they seemed quite sure the node would destablize.
Read the briefing again.  The "strategic and scientific reasons" were why they used the meson bombs instead of the main guns on their capital ships.  They were going to blow it up regardless.