Author Topic: Joystick Advice  (Read 6638 times)

Offline Alpha

• PPCGeeks.com
Hi, I'm new on this forum but not new to FS2. I used to post at the VBB, but you all know what goes on there. I also play on PXO sometimes as Alpha. I also play with FRED2 (yes, that's right play; don't know how to do a good mission yet).

Getting to the point, I've read how here you can REALLY get help so I was wondering what joystick would you recommend. Today I saw the Sidewinder Precision 2 and the Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 at good prices. What do you recommend, plese even tell me if I should see other joysticks besides the Sidewinder series. I've always used the keyboard for all my games, but my hands are tired now (:P) and I would really like to get a good joystick. Thanks for your advice.

Alpha.

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html
Thrustmaster Top Gun.

Any more is a waste of time and money.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

I know there is a method, but all I see is madness.
Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Personally, I use and love the Sidewinder Precision Pro (version 1). The only difference between it and the Mk. II (ahhhh!!!) is that v1.0 has a "shift" button, which is the main selling point of the darned thing. They removed that in v2.0.  

So if you're going to get the 2nd version, save some money and get the first version if you can find it - it's better.  

------------------
America, stand assured that Israel truly understands what you are going through.

"He who laughs last thinks slowest."
"Just becase you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you."
"To err is human; to really screw up you need a computer."
Creator of the Sandvich Bar, the CapShip Turret Upgrade, the Complete FS2 Ship List and the System Backgrounds List (all available from the site)
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline Alikchi

• Neo-Terran
  • Spooky ghost (RIP)
I use a logitech wingman extreme. It's suitable.
"Going too far and caring too much about a subject is the best way to make friends that I know."
- Sarah Vowell

Offline Zander

Saitek x36 usb version      more bindable buttons than you can count

Offline Thorn

• Drunk on the east coast.
  • What is this? I don't even...

Originally posted by Alikchi:
I use a logitech wingman extreme. It's suitable.

ditto..
its cheap, comfortable, and if you have USB, it requires no effort to set up...
my only gripe is that that base is a little unstable...

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Logitech Wingman Strike Force 3D.    Anything less isn't good enough.  

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Oh and Kazan - you have some nice rocks" - Thunder

Material Defender Studios
Gargoyles, Season 1.  Buy it, or DIE! :)

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela
"Because we're in a hurry!" - Professor

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
the SW2 is great. There's maybe not the shift button, but you can link key chains to a single button (means you push a button, and it will trigger as many actions as you want, in the order you want).
SCREW CANON!

Originally posted by Eishtmo:
Thrustmaster Top Gun.

Any more is a waste of time and money.

Yes, get a Thrustmaster joystick. Top Gun is an excellent choice: with a trigger, 4-way hat and 3 buttons it does it's job, and it's durable.
The nick is not a typo, it's a pun.

Offline Nico

• Venom
    Parlez-vous Model Magician?
not enough buttons for me :þ and i'd miss my throttle  
SCREW CANON!

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
My old joystick just died (while playing FreeSpace 2 actually) and I think the Precision 2 is the way to go.  Thats what people have been saying.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Black Sheep

• Wannabe Composer
If you have too much money you are going to love a force feedback stick...
"Something is rotten in the state of Denmark"
-Hamlet rulez

Offline Akrovah

Logitech Wingman of any variety (If you can find the old handle style. It has a nice little button that is right by your thumb when you rest your hand on the stick. Perfect for quickly sending a few missiles into your target's exhaust.)

But, if all you can find is the new lame *** handle style, then go, not with the Thrustmaster Top Gun, But with the Thrustmaster Top Bun Afterburner. That version has a throttle with an alternate thrid axis control on it.

Edit: Typos! typos! typos!
------------------
Bobby (Akrovah) Hovorka
    [email protected]  
    "The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shap of that future, or where it will take us. We only know, that it is always born in pain." -- G'Quon - Babylon 5

[This message has been edited by Akrovah (edited 11-01-2001).]
Bobby (Akrovah) Hovorka
    [email protected]  
    "The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shap of that future, or where it will take us. We only know, that it is always born in pain." -- G'Quon - Babylon 5

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
Actually, the new hand style is only slightly less comfortable that the previous design.  My wrist no longer aches from intense firefights in FS2.  

------------------
"You know you've played Freespace too much when you're driving along trying to use countermeasures to shake off pursuing highway police." - Top Gun

"Professor! This ship is capable of traveling 90 percent the speed of light! Why are we only doing 35 miles an hour!" - Leela

"from a purely stastical standpoint japanese men DO have smaller penii on average" - Kazan

Offline Alpha

• PPCGeeks.com
I'm still between the SW Force Feedback 2 or the SW Precision 2. Why is it so hard for me to decide??   I'd like to have enough money to buy both (yeah right!)  

Anyway, I'll have to decide sooner or later (better sooner). It feels good to receive answers different from "get out of here newbie" etc., etc. Thanks.

Offline Vertigo1

• 'Scaper
To be honest, if it wasn't for the fact that my Wingman Strike Force 3D had more button on the stick part itself, I'd switch handles with my old joystick and use it instead.    

For you button fanatics out there, this sucker has a whopping 9 buttons and two hat switches!    Technically, its got 6 buttons, but three of the "nine" total are in the scroll wheel mounted on the base. (1 button = scrolling forwards, 1 button = scrolling backwards, and 1 button = pushing down on the wheel itself.)

Its a really nice joystick.  Definitely better than anything MS has to offer.  After all, when was the last time you ever heard of a hat breaking on a Logitech stick?   (MS sticks have had that problem since they were first released.)

------------------

I use a Logitech force feed back pro!
What a machine! I don't think they sell them anymore tho'.
I got mine at currys for £60 with european air war (can't say it's that good!)
My advice go for a logitech model, i prefer there standard config then microsofts.
Oh well...

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
-------------------------
AKA Corporalpingree at the VBB.
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

I'm using a Wingman Force - its great for FS2. I had a MS Precision Pro but broke it on FS2.

The Wingman Force has 9 buttons, a throttle and a hat...what more do ya need?
Time is Relative, Ideas are Infinite

Yeah, it really is quite good, and it has plenty of buttons!!!

------------------
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens
'Well thats a switch'
PTE Hudson
Aliens

Offline Eishtmo

• The one and only
  • The One and Only
    • http://www.angelfire.com/games2/fsarchive/index.html

Originally posted by sergeantpingree:
Yeah, it really is quite good, and it has plenty of buttons!!!

Buttons aren't everything.  In fact, I would be happy with just two, one for a primary, and one for a secondary.  I'll use the keyboard for the rest, thank you very much.

------------------
Visit Warpstorm.  Do it now.

---------

Warpstorm  Bringing Disorder to Chaos, And Eventually We'll Get It Right.

---------