Author Topic: Models awaiting geometry  (Read 8807 times)

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Models awaiting geometry
Here is a list of current geometry related jobs requiring the attention of a 3D artist. If you pick up one of these jobs please make a post here so everyone knows. Similarly, if you complete a job (or give up on it) post here also.

If you don't have access to the FTP and model dump directory I mal or ICQ transfer the appropriate archive to you.

BI Riva
EA Babylon 5 (needs lower LODs and geometry fixing)
EA Babylon 4 (needs lower LODs)
EA Poseidon (LOD0 needs turrets)
EA PSI Corps Mothership (can adapt Asimov model)
EA PSI Corps Transport (the Black Omega Fury carrier)
EA Valkyrie (needs lower LODs)
SH Death Cloud (needs LOD0) (not sure how to approach this, ideas anyone?)
SH Hybrid (needs LOD0) (partially complete model exists)
Thirdspace Fighter
Thirdspace Cruiser

Guidelines:

1. Geometry must convert to trueSpace as solid pieces (ie: no holes in them!).
2. Use as few seperate pieces as possible.
3. Aligning pieces (rather than stabilising a join of two pieces) is ok but ensure pieces do not overlap.
4. Try to avoid piling vertices or polygons on top of one another.
5. If there is symetry in a model try to make it exactly symetrical (makes uvmapping eaiser).
6. Make sure you've checked the rules for creating stable geometry linked below:

http://underworld.fortunecity.com/pacman/106/fs2mods/shipcreationguide/creatingstablegeometry.html
« Last Edit: July 28, 2005, 02:07:30 pm by 43 »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Axem

Models awaiting geometry
I'll take a stab at doing that Maintenance Fury.

Offline Nuke

• Ka-Boom!
  • Mutants Worship Me
Models awaiting geometry
is there a place to get pics, high res possibley, of the ships listed here for design referance, if i see one that matches  my talents i might give it a try.
I can no longer sit back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination, communist subversion, and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Nuke's Scripting SVN

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
I have started a new thread and put links to reference material in there. If there's a ship you have a particular interest in you'll probably have to find some additional reference material. Or post a request in the thread and see if someone else helps you out :).

The reference material thread is here:

http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,33101.0.html
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 04:12:40 am by 43 »
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
For everyone's info Maverick is taking a shot at the Drakh Cruiser.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
Mav has finished the Drakh Cruiser LOD0 (still needs lower LODs) and has moved onto the Victory class destroyer.

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Models awaiting geometry
Mav is quick.:D
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Models awaiting geometry
i am even quicker :)
guess what, the Victory LOD0 is finished too.
next model is Vorlon Planet Killer.

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Models awaiting geometry
Wow. That's insanely fast.

How many polys are the Drakh cruiser and Victory?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
The cruiser is about 3k and the victory about 2.5. Both are good counts based on their size. The cruiser is huge, and it's a fun ship.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 07:50:53 am by 43 »

Models awaiting geometry
VEPlanetkiller LOD0 finished, moving on to CRRutarian...

edit: CRRutarian LOD0 done!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 10:42:39 am by 2826 »

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
Maverick has done the Maint Bot LOD0 now.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Models awaiting geometry
The man is fast. :D Great job Mav. :)
No surrender, no retreat.

Models awaiting geometry
ok, i am doing the EA PSI Corps Transport now

Offline Lt.Cannonfodder

• Digitalous Grunteous
Models awaiting geometry
Your are fast! Any screenies of the maint bot?

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
I will sort out the PSI Corps transport. Since it just appears to be a slightly bigger PSI shuttle with some dock points on the bottom. Naff I know but it's not our fault.

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
Models awaiting geometry
I haven't found any pics of it. And many people confuse it to the mothership.

Can I ask why Mav only does LOD0? :)

[EDIT] Sorry for the off-topic posting. :)
No surrender, no retreat.

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
Models awaiting geometry
Generally as a mod we do LOD0 first, texture that, and then move onto the lower LODs. There's an explanation for why we do this in the "contributing" thread. In Mavericks case though he's a swiss army knife. He uvmaps and textures himself. So the reason he only does LOD0 is that he gets bored and likes to move onto something else ;). I'm not judging. I used to do the same. Doing LODs is necessary but dull.

Models awaiting geometry
yep, i am a bored person :)

no, i do all stuff myself but actually LODs are very boring. because you have to model the same thing again, at least very often you have to do the model again, and you have to uvmap, again. that is not very funny. but in some cases i do even LOD1 or 2, but not really intentional, sometimes the models are just too low poly, look at the firs vpk ship for example.

anyway, maybe there is someone who wants to do the lower LODs for me?;)

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Models awaiting geometry
Shouldn't someone be doing a hyperspace probe and/or a generig satellite thingy? I'm not talking about some lame nav blob nor stupid sentry gun platform. But a normal looking satellite! It's a incredibly important model! The real space is already full of those! :hopping:

I can think of more uses to a satellite than I can for a Hyperion.

BTW. Why is everyone so obsessed with warships? I'm still waiting for the Cotton class fleet tender...:cool:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...