Author Topic: Dog fighting in FS2/TBP  (Read 3524 times)

Offline Grifter

• http://wings-of-fury.com
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
Not sure if this is the place to ask this rather noobie question, but I'm having a heck of time hitting minbari fighters, on easy setting no less. I line up my green reticle with the pursuit red reticle, not the target itself, but no joy. I can't hit anything! Also, even though I'm at ninety to ninety five percent thrust, I can't even keep up with my own star fury squad let alone the minbari fighters without going into burners. Any suggestions as to how I might improve would be a great help. Before someone says it, yes, I read the manual. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help gang,

Grifter.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
Divert power from your shields. They're not doing anything. Actually, I wonder why they're even there in the first place...

The second is...well, it's the fact that the Nial has a ridiculously small target profile combined with the fact that the Starfury's guns are just barely far enough down to mess with your targeting; they fire straight forward, see. FS doesn't support "zeroing" unfortunately.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
IIRC they put shields in to protect from shockwaves.

Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
also the nial fighters are far beyond earth technology, so fighters are much faster and better to fly. also the minbari fighter can take more g, so the curves can be harder. all points together make it apparent that it is hard to get these fighter.
so you will need more practice ;)

Offline IceFire

• GTVI Section 3
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/hosted/ce
Re: Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
Originally posted by Grifter
Not sure if this is the place to ask this rather noobie question, but I'm having a heck of time hitting minbari fighters, on easy setting no less. I line up my green reticle with the pursuit red reticle, not the target itself, but no joy. I can't hit anything! Also, even though I'm at ninety to ninety five percent thrust, I can't even keep up with my own star fury squad let alone the minbari fighters without going into burners. Any suggestions as to how I might improve would be a great help. Before someone says it, yes, I read the manual. :rolleyes:

Thanks for any help gang,

Grifter.

Seeing as the Minbari ships are so much more advanced and that the EA lost so many ships...you're doing quite well.

All I can say is try using your after burners to get in close  enough to plant a few good shots.
- IceFire
BlackWater Ops, Cold Element
"Burn the land, boil the sea, you can't take the sky from me..."

Offline Grifter

• http://wings-of-fury.com
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
Ok, thanks guys. I appreciate the insight. If nothing else I know it's not necessarily me. I'll keep practicing and hopefully get good enough to nail one or two. Hey if anyone has had any luck nailing minbari fighters on a regular basis and has a strategy, do let me know. Much obliged!

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
If you've got wingmen,tell them to help you. ;)
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
Get all energy to engine, use afterburner,get less than 500 m close to them, get energy to weapon, hit. Always attack from side. Its easy that way.:)

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
The only times I really have any trouble with nials is when I`m forced to attack them from the front, and when they attack me from behind. :D
Of corse if all else fails, I can always...... run. :nervous:
Simpicity of character is the natural resualt of profound thought

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
Dog fighting in FS2/TBP
You can run but you can't hide,they will find you eventually. ;)
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Ahh, sad but true :D

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
I find hiding in an Omega's docking bay usually works.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

Offline Whitelight

• Thing, man like
Originally posted by IPAndrews
I find hiding in an Omega's docking bay usually works.

Yeah, I didn`t want to admit it but, i`ve tried this before. :lol:

Also ran towards an Omega or Nova to draw its fire, this seems to change the nials current target (me). :nervous:

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
Originally posted by aldo_14
IIRC they put shields in to protect from shockwaves.

Bumped the thread to confirm this. Keep some power in shields, otherwise you're going to get gangbanged by explosions and shockwaves.

Offline Prophet

• The know-it-all
Originally posted by Mr. Fury
get gangbanged by explosions and shockwaves.

How colorful :wtf:
I'm not saying anything. I did not say anything then and I'm not saying anything now. -Dukath
I am not breaking radio silence just cos' you lot got spooked by a dead flying ****ing cow. -Sergeant Harry Wells/Dog Soldiers

Prophet is walking in the deep dark places of the earth...

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Also not true...
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story