Author Topic: Launcher 5.3  (Read 8470 times)

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Unfortunately, the Launcher doesn't appear to be intelligent enough to do that on its own.  As a result, it is impossible to use the mod option with TBP as long as its in the Program Files directory.  You can however, trick the launcher into doing it by entering the mod line into the custom arguments space.  This does however, mean that you can't use cool new features in this Launcher build.
The Trivial Psychic Strikes Again!

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
  • Soul lives in the Mountains
    • http://alliance.sourceforge.net
you shouldn't NEED the "program files" in the mod

where is your FS2 installed at?
PCS2 2.0.3 | POF CS2 wiki page | Important PCS2 Threads | PCS2 Mantis

"The Mountains are calling, and I must go" - John Muir

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
We're not talking about FS2, we're talking about TBP.  TBP installs itself to the c:\Program Files\ directory, then \The Babylon Poject\data etc.  It seems that the "Program Files" part of the entire command line would seem to be causing the problem.  If I use the "Mod" option in this or the 5.2 launcher, and try to select the mod directory (which, for reasons of secrecy shall remain nameless, but contains no spaces), it says that the mod directory cannot contain spaces.  As I said, removing the spaces in "The Babylon Project" didn't help, n'or did changing the name of my mod directory to something longer incase there is a minimum name length for mod directory names, so I can only assume that the "Program Files" part is the problem.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
hrm.. the mod directory ISN'T containing spaces - the root path of FS2 doesn't get scanned

i'm assuming yuo're at

C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\

and your mod folder is
"foomod"

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Kazan
hrm.. the mod directory ISN'T containing spaces - the root path of FS2 doesn't get scanned

i'm assuming you're at

C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\

and your mod folder is
"foomod"

For all intents and purposes, yes.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
does "foomod" contain a space?

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Originally posted by Kazan
does "foomod" contain a space?

Nope.  It's just 3 characters long.  I had attempted to expand it to a longer modname, still, with no spaces, but to no avail.

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
get it tagged as a launcher bug

Offline Trivial Psychic

• Snoop Junkie
Mantised!  I referenced this thread for further details.

Nice job for fixing the multiple resolution mode bug.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
For those of you using Launcher 5.3 here's a bunch of ready made mod.ini files and Mod images for several major FS2 campaigns. I've already set up the interdependacies so as long as you're using the folder names I've provided campaigns like shrouding the light and Sol A History should automatically use multimod when you attempt to run them.

The ini files are also set up to use a folder called media_VPs for all the media VP files and LightSpeed's Nebulae. If you don't use this there won't be the blindest bit of a difference when you play any of the campaigns but if you do use it you can switch to multiplayer with all the media VP files turned off simply by switching to no-mods or play using them by selecting the multiplayer mod. That should be a godsend for people who regularly swap between FS2_Open and Tom's Old Build.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline starfox

finally....can't say much more. Thanks RandomTiger !!!
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Just out of interest is anyone actually using the mod ini files I posted?

Offline Kazan

• PCS2 Wizard
i probably will when i get around to it

Offline redmenace

Not that I want encourage laziness, but would it be possible to have a button to pack up the last entry in error.log file and the fs.log file into a zip file?
Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else.
              -Frederic Bastiat

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
I'm having a two small bugs with Launcher 5.3.

The first one is that "-spec" flag is not saved through the Flag List but as a Custom flag. So after running the Launcher once, I always get the "Enable specular" item unticked but -spec is added to "Custom flags". If I put a tick on "Enable specular", then next time I will get two "-spec" flags through Custom Flags and so on.

Here is my Command Line instruction "C:\FreeSpace2\fs2_open_T-20050807.exe -mod MOD_FSPort -glow -jpgtga -nomotiondebris -rlm -noscalevid -dualscanlines -targetinfo -ballistic_gauge -smart_shields -ship_choice_3d -3dwarp -tbpwarpeffects -snd_preload  -ambient_factor 75 -spec_static 0.6 -spec" where the three last flags are custom ones.

The second one is that the report bug button opens a broken link (http://mgo.maxgaming.net/mantis/login_page.php).

Just, one question, should we use Mantis for Launcher bugs too?

Thank you.
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline karajorma

• Administrator
Are you using a mod.ini file by any chance? I've never had any problems with them but RT did say that the ability to add flags through them isn't working at the moment.

If you're not using a mod.ini file then I'm a little puzzled by this one.

The Link to mantis in Goober's signiture should work so use that one instead :)

Offline CP5670

• Dr. Evil
  • Global Moderator
I was getting that -spec issue at one point too. I'm not sure what I did but it's not coming up anymore. I think I just unchecked and checked the option and removed the superflous one in the custom flags list.

Offline ARSPR

• Preys On Mantis
No, I'm not using mod.ini files at all.

I always have that bug. It doesn't matter if I run any mod or no mod at all. I have Inferno (installed in \MOD_Inferferno_R1), Trascend (\MOD_Trascend) and FSPort 2.3 (\MOD_FSPort).

Whenever I check the "Enable specular" item, the next time I run the launcher the -spec flag appears converted in a custom flag.

I don't know If it has something to do with it, but I'm running a Spanish WXP SP2, but I use numbers in English format (. as decimal separator and , as thousand separator).
IF YOU HAVE TROUBLES WITH FS2:
  • Please, please, please, READ and UNDERSTAND the sticky threads in FreeSpace & FreeSpace Open Support board.
    A lot of people are willing to help you, but, as anyone can understand, seeing the very same "issues" repeated again and again can become quite depressing. Please, spend a bit of time trying to solve the issue by yourself.
    (Lobo deserves a monument).
  • Then, if you aren't still able to solve your issue, feel free to ask for help in that same board.
    FYI, most of the troubles are caused by wrong mod installations which lead to either missing data or undesired cross-effects between them. Always follow the mod installation instructions and keep a clean FS2 installation as explained in the sticky threads. Two additional links about how the game handles game data:
  • If you think that you've discovered a bug, mantis it.
    Provide as much info as you can, and try to narrow it down. A lonely "FS2 doesn't work" is not a good report.

Whoever Hanlon was: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
Albert Einstein: Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.

Dell Dimension 9200 - Vista 32-bit Ultimate
Core 2 Quad Q6600 @2.4GHz - RAM 2 GB DDR2
nvidia 8800 GTX - Integrated Sigmatel Audio

Offline Inquisitor

I believe this is included in the latest release.
No signature.