Author Topic: What I think an FS3 would've been like  (Read 2767 times)

Offline High Max

• Permanently banned
What I think an FS3 would've been like
I hope it's not bad for me to talk about FS3. I heard it's bad to mention it on the board.

It gives me shame that they won't make an FS3. I saw someone on this board saying that Volition promised ships the size of planets. Someone was also saying that FS3 was supposed to answer all the questions about the Shivans.

I'm guessing that FS3 would start off fighting an Earth Alliance like Inferno and then the GTVA would eventually ally themselves with the EA. Then Shivans would begin appearing after they realize that the Terrans and Vasudans used Knossos technology to open routes to previously unexplored systems. Then after the Shivans attack, the Alliance use the ETAK technology to communicate with the Shivans and they learn their origins and motives. Then the Shivans continue to fight the Alliance and the ships the size of planets begin to appear. An Alliance taskforce goes into one of the planet-sized ships and blows up its core. The background if this mission would probably be the inside of the ship that is the size of a planet. If FS3 was supposed to be the conclusion, then that means that the Alliance would have destroyed the Shivans once and for all, I guess.

Is it possible that maybe Volition or Interplay is waiting for computer technology to get very good so they can make an FS3 that is extremely realistic? One could only hope but since Volition was sold or whatever happened to them, it probably won't ever appear. But people probably thought a Terminator 3 wouldn't ever come out but 10 or 12 years later, it did.
;-)   #.#   *_*   ^^   ^-^   ^_^

Re: What I think an FS3 would've been like
Originally posted by High Max
Is it possible that maybe Volition or Interplay is waiting for computer technology to get very good so they can make an FS3 that is extremely realistic? One could only hope but since Volition was sold or whatever happened to them, it probably won't ever appear. But people probably thought a Terminator 3 wouldn't ever come out but 10 or 12 years later, it did.

Sorry to sound pessimistic but that is very, very, very, very wishful thinking.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Re: Re: What I think an FS3 would've been like
Originally posted by MatthewPapa

Sorry to sound pessimistic but that is very, very, very, very wishful thinking.

That's so wishful that he'd have to wish for it in an alternate reality.

Eh c'mon guys.  It doesn't hurt to wonder. :)

Well, about Volition waiting for more technology...I think FS2 was unique as it's own.  The most they could do would prolly work on effects and AI...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2005, 08:03:43 pm by 2246 »
[V] for FS3!

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
Lord, give me the strength not to kill.

Where are you Lord? Help me.

Offline achtung

• Friendly Neighborhood Mirror Guy
  • ****in' Ace
    • Minecraft
    • Freespacemods.net
FreeSpaceMods.net | FatHax | ??????
In the wise words of Charles de Gaulle, "China is a big country, inhabited by many Chinese."

Formerly known as Swantz

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Inferno R2 for FS3.

*dons the flameproof depleted uranium suit*
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
I think it is a mistake for them not to make another one. They should notice this community and re-think their decision. Volition was sold but the company still exists? I heard that part of the problem was FS2 didn't get many sells because of Volition's lack of advertising the game.

Also, did an FS3 ever get to even a planning stage and they stopped there or did it even reach the planning stage? Was there any plans created of what the storyline was supposed to be or did those details never even get created? If the game never reached planning stage then the story of an FS3 was never written by Volition.

1. This community is not nearly the size of the more popular games' community. If everyone in this community bought a copy, it wouldn't even make a mark in sales (There are maybe 200 active members here. Good sales for a video game would be something like 300,000 sold copies).

2. Volition was not in charge of advertising, Interplay was. And they blew it.

3. The pronoun "an" is only used before a word starting with a vowel. Freespace 3 starts with a consonant, therefore, use "a" instead.
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Turnsky

• FOXFIRE Artisté
  • huh?.. Who?.. hey you kids, git off me lawn!
Originally posted by Swantz
http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~freespace/fsdoc/index.php?pagename=Freespace3

*Points at link feverishly*

goddamn, that little cartoon o' mine did get popular, even if it's a cut n' paste job :p
   //Warning\\
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
do not torment the sleep deprived artist, he may be vicious when cornered,
in case of emergency, administer caffeine to the artist,
he will become docile after that,
and less likely to stab you in the eye with a mechanical pencil
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I think it is a mistake for them not to make another one. They should notice this community and re-think their decision. Volition was sold but the company still exists? I heard that part of the problem was FS2 didn't get many sells because of Volition's lack of advertising the game.

Also, did an FS3 ever get to even a planning stage and they stopped there or did it even reach the planning stage? Was there any plans created of what the storyline was supposed to be or did those details never even get created? If the game never reached planning stage then the story of an FS3 was never written by Volition.

Volition wasn't 'sold' by Interplay, it was an independent developer contracted to them which was eventually bought over by THQ (so THQ holds the pursestrings).  

Interplay were publishers of FS2 and responsible for advertising; they opted to cut back on advertising FS2 as they were releasing a 'competing' Star-Trek franchised game - quite why they didn't just delay one of the 2 or something i'll never know.  Either way, I think daveb in particular is still pissed off at that.

Interplay also still own the license; for Volition to make an FS game they'd need to convince THQ to buy the license and fund development.  A hard sell given the poor sales of FS2 and the age of the license.

It's possible another party may buy the Freespace license; I'm sure we all remember the Derek Smart pallaver.  But it's probably unlikely that it'd be a genuine quality developer for the same reasons THQ probably won't buy.  In either case the sequel would probably be about as canonically valid as a fan campaign.

Volition do have an FS story bible which'd go towards defining the story arc (including any unmade sequels).  It's never been made clear AFAIK exactly how detailed it is and whether stuff was specifically marked out for FS3, but they would have an idea of the continuing storyline.

The Volition staff do want to make a sequel, I believe daveb said as much, but they're not desperate.  They're certainly not going to throw a hissy fit to try and make THQ stump up the cash, and it's quite possible they're happier with the stuff they're making now (dodgy FPS').

At one point it was, IIRC, rumoured that Outrage would be making FS3.  AFAIK that was never confirmed.

Offline Roanoke

I know that but if you say it like "F" instead of "Freespace", saying the letter "f" sounds like "ef" so it is proper to say it with "an" in this case. :nod:

That has gotta be the weirdest logic I have ever seen....

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Inferno R2 for FS3.

That's not even funny.

Think of the children.

Offline Annorax

• Wistful General
    • Steam
Originally posted by BlackDove

That's not even funny.

Think of the children.

Think of the kittens!

Offline Kie99

Originally posted by Roanoke

That has gotta be the weirdest logic I have ever seen....

When you see FS3 on your monitor, do you think "Freespace three" or "Eff ess three"?  I think the latter, so, for me at least, it's correct.
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
I think "F S Three", because my complex language allows me to do so.

No. Not Swedish.

If I'm thinking in English, it's EFf ESS Three though.

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Originally posted by BlackDove

That's not even funny.

Think of the children.

**** the children, they're loud and annoying and I can't get my papers done when they're around.

The kittens, though, that's a valid reason. Kittens are fuzzy. Fuzziness should be preserved.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
The Matrix? The Matrix?

The Matrix?

The Matrix?

The Matrix?

The idea that we resemble a virus only came to you after you saw The Matrix?

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:snipe: :snipe: :snipe: :snipe: :snipe: :snipe: :snipe:

Offline Flaser

• man/fish warsie
People don't watch classics - Gunbuster - anymore.
"I was going to become a speed dealer. If one stupid fairytale turns out to be total nonsense, what does the young man do? If you answered, “Wake up and face reality,” you don’t remember what it was like being a young man. You just go to the next entry in the catalogue of lies you can use to destroy your life." - John Dolan

Offline Primus

• Ranger
  • Lusus Naturae
BlackDove, you'll get the HLP award for the best reply. :D

What's this thread about?

Oh yea! FS3 will not be made. That's why I don't even want to think what it would be like.
No surrender, no retreat.

Where is the dead horse beating smilely?