Author Topic: Implementation of 3d shockwaves  (Read 2996 times)

Implementation of 3d shockwaves
Do you plan to use DaBrains famous and excellent 3d shockwaves in future releases?

If not, i might come in handy and find out the usable shockwave speed for the babylon vessels and send an altered ship.tbl (or ship.tbm) to you, so that everyone can decide, if they want to use them or not.

Provided that DaBrain do not say "no" (´cause it´s all his stuff), what do you think?

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
How about checking the beta testing forum?
This thread in particular: http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,34428.0.html

Ok you don´t want me to help:lol:

No Problem!

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
If you have some basic modding skills, you could try that beta I linked above with this build. I haven't had any time to do testing, but that build is supposed to fix the problems that were brought up in the thread I linked above.

You´re right, the problem has been fixed. All you have to do is to define, which shockwave has to be used with which ship and set the $shockwave model entry in the ships.tbl right under the $shockwave speed entry.
And now comes the tricky part. Finding out the right speed. It seems, that the settings that dab used in FSO don´t work very well with TBP. E.g. the fighter-shockwave speed Dab used is 95. But it´s way to fast for the TBP fighters. Maybe it has something to do with the model size. The hard work now is to find out working speed settings for each ship. That´s the help i offerd above.

EDIT: Bah, maybe i got too less sleep. The (too) fast shockwaves are not the result of the model size but of the shockwave speed and the explosion radius. So up to 3 entries have to be changed, the speed and the inner and  (very important) the outer explosion radius.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2005, 04:39:20 pm by 1875 »

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
That would be helpful of course. I've to work on some other (urgent) stuff for two other mods right now, so I can't take care of this right now.
Maybe the fightershockwave isn't needed for TBP. It's unfitting for TBP imo. Maybe a style change coudl fiy that.

@Fury I can need all help we can get for this. The beta tables do not include all new ship I think...
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline Fury

• The Curmudgeon
DaBrain, I'm no longer working on tables or 3.3 Betas, only advising Sigma957 where and when needed.

Offline starfox

Speaking of shockwaves...has somebody, been watching "Revelations" lately.
At the beginning of this episode, G'Gar and his fellow Narn are being pursued by the Shadow Spitfires. In desperation, one of the Narns makes a suicide ram on the Spitfire. When the Shadow fighter is destroyed, it blows up with a pretty Freespace2-like shockwave...
Rig:
A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 64 X2 4200+
GF 7950 GT
X-FI ExtremeMusic
HEC 550W
2 Gt RAM
Win XP

Though nobody ask me to do this i tried to implement Dab shocks in TBP and IMHO it works very well. I´v just build three TBMs for the different ship types (fighter, medium, capital), so it is possible to choose, which ship should have altered shocks and ahich not. E.g. if you don´t like the fighter shockwaves, just delete the fighter.tbm from youe tables directory and you will get vanilla TBP.
I´ve made no major changes to the ship values. So except the fighters, only those ships prouduce shockwaves, which are intended to do. I´ve only lowered the $exp blast, cause sometime you got really knocked out of the screen with larger shockwaves. It changes the gameplay a bit, but i think it´s okay.
I´m testing the shocks now and maybe tomorrow in the evening i´m ready for release (CET). I´ve did this for me, ´cause i don´t want to miss the 3d shockwaves in TBP, but if anyone like to test maybe i could mail it to him to put it in the web.

As always (like the torpedo shockwaves) i only did some table hacking, though it costs a hell of time. The main work has been done by DaBrain and of course by the members of TBP.

thanks BTW ;)

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Ah, sorry I forgot to tell Sigma about this.

Thanks for you initiative. :yes:

If you need some FTP space for this just mail it to me.

I'll probably post it in the TBP internal and say it's my work though. :drevil:

;7

I'll try to get this in the next core build. :yes:
(hosted by Game-Warden)

Okay, i´ve just mailed DaBrain the modular tables with the corrected shockwave speed. Hopefully he put it on the web soon.

HOW TO INSTALL:
1. copy the four .tbm files in your babylon\data\tables directory. i recommend to use them all, but if you don´t like the fighter shockwaves just delete the TBP_fighter-shp.tbm

2. Then you need this stuff
http://www.hard-light.net/forums/index.php/topic,34618.0.html
Put the content of the MODEL and the MAPS folder in your equivalent TBP-folders.
DO NOT use the tables in this release, ´cause they are for Freespace !!!!!

3. Play the game and have fun

AT LAST:
A very cool effect is to replace the shockwave01.tga from the "yellow release" with the shockwave01.tga from the blue release in the same topic.
Then you get a huge blinding blue flare with a slow rolling yellow shockwave out of it while huge explosion tear the ship apart GHEEE I LOVE THIS GAME ;)

BTW: I´ve chosen four modular table files, cause now they are easier to handle for future changes. Feedback welcome.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 12:10:46 pm by 1875 »

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Uploaded. :)
(hosted by Game-Warden)

:) Thanks. But where?

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline aipz

• War,war never changes...
Installed shockwaves this morning...
Absolutely amazing, astonishing and beautiful at the same time...:)

Now the ships disintegrate in a more "logical/natural" way than previously...
What's more the shockwaves form the impression of 3D...
Although I use low-end version the graphical detail is great...

Hope to see it in TBP 3.3 ;7
« Last Edit: September 06, 2005, 04:37:36 pm by 2633 »
"Another fellow pilot"

Offline Sigma957

• Darkness descending...
You WILL be seeing it in 3.3. :nod:
The Babylon Project- Bringing babylon5 to freespace2

VWBB Survivor 1095 (Sigma957) 24/2/2001

Offline IPAndrews

• Disgruntled Customer
  • This site stole my work
Thanks for the help Psychonaut.
Be warned: This site's admins stole 100s of hours of my work. They will do it to you.

You´re welcome :)