Author Topic: Some more research into FS2's vast depths....  (Read 12261 times)

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
Some more research into FS2's vast depths....
Originally posted by Mongoose

It could just be a reference to the Capella evacuation, but I think the idea of it referring to Bosch's journey into the nebula would be much more meaningful.  I'll never accept that he ended up as a Shivan guinea pig; he had far too much import to the story to be written off like that.

From Bosch's third monologue

Why does the Ancient portal lead us here?  Have the Shivans been waiting for us for thousands of years?  This Oddessy... this Exodus... Do we journey towards the promised land, or into the Valley of the Kings?  Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream I feel only solitude and regret.  Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade?  Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?  My regime has caused nothing but savegry and suffering, but I cannot turn back now.  I must find the Destroyers who lurk behind this veil of clouds, or I must wait for the Destroyers to find me.  The nebula is a remenant of a Supernova thousands if not millions of light years from Earth.  And I wonder now if our ancestors witnessed the death of this star, erupting over an Egyptian landscape, blazing with the brilliance of 400,000,000 suns.  Even in their divinity, no Pharaoh could have imagined this.

Very biblical, in a sense.  Like I said, I'm not sure where :v: was going with this, but it's got tons of promise.  It's a real shame we'll never know how they intended to finish it up.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:40:09 pm by 570 »
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Ghostavo

• Let it be glue!
    • Twitter
Originally posted by FireCrack
Kings Gambit, Sicilian Defence, and Endgame are all absed on chess.

Why Sicilian Defense though? Why not Philidor or Pirc or Petroff or Dutch, etc... ?

Seeing the situation of the GTVA throughout the campaign, Pirc or Petroff would seem to suit them much better than Sicilian.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 08:40:06 pm by 1606 »
"Closing the Box" - a campaign in the making :nervous:

Shrike is a dirty dirty admin, he's the destroyer of souls... oh god, let it be glue...

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
hmmmmmmmmmm.....

Ghostavo - you've just given me a very interesting thought....:drevil:

Ill get back to taht when I reach the mission. I have to get home before I can continue this for the moment.
"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Mission 8: The Sixth Wonder.

Well, this is the most obvious. A quote I got off an australian website:
"The sixth wonder of the world was the Colossus of Rhodes, a huge statue of Helios the sun-god, made of bronze reinforced with iron and weighted with stones."

In hte mission we have several ships, including the NTC Cato.

The Cato appears to be a person (see link), and somewhat of a rebel...perhaps an indication of it's captian's nature?

"From this standpoint he attacked, and generally discredited, for embezzlement and other illegal acts while abroad, a succession of victims: M’. Acilius Glabrio, his commander in 191, another New Man; the great Scipio Africanus, Cato’s commander in Sicily and Africa, and his brother L. Cornelius Scipio; Q. Minucius Thermus, one of those who followed Cato in Spain. By 184 he had a well-deserved reputation for stubborn righteousness and fiery oratory. "

"Cato’s last major contribution to Roman public affairs was to urge war against Carthage, the ‘Third Punic War’ as it is now known — a war that was eventually declared in his lifetime and ended, after his death, with the complete destruction of Rome’s great rival. As Cato had so insistently repeated, Carthago delenda est, ‘Carthage must be razed.’ Its destroyer would be P. Cornelius Scipio Aemilianus, brother of Cato’s daughter-in-law Tertia. ‘He alone has a mind,’ said the aged Cato about Aemilianus; ‘the rest are darting shadows’ (Polybius 36 fragment 8.7). "

And then, of course, we have Enif station.

Enif station....is quite literally epsilon pegasi.

"
The brightest star in Pegasus; its name comes from the Arabic for "the nose" and refers to the muzzle of the winged horse. Enif is an orange supergiant K star, big enough, if put in place of the Sun, to stretch halfway to the orbit of Venus. It seems to be part of a family of three similar supergiants that also includes the Alpha and Beta stars of nearby Aquarius, Sadalmelik and Sadalsuud. The stellar trio, all at roughly the same luminosity and distance (Sadalmelik at 760 light-years, Sadalsuud at 610) may have been born together in the same extended group and. over the past 15 million years or so, have drifted well over 100 light-years apart. Most odd about Enif is its possible erratic and violent behavior. In 1972, an observer in Florida reported Enif to be as bright as Altair - five times brighter than normal—after which it faded. For over 10 minutes it appeared to pop some kind of enormous flare, one vastly brighter than those often seen on the Sun. Such events are rare—only two dozen or so are known—and not well documented, nor is there any theory for them. "

This is all fine and interesting - but what about the Hawkwood?

Running a google search brought up many, many entries, but this one is probably the most relevant:
http://www.infoplease.com/ce6/people/A0823031.html

"Hawkwood, Sir John de, d. 1394, English soldier. He fought in the French wars of Edward III and was knighted, although it is not known when or where. With his “white company” of mercenaries, he entered (1362) Italy and became a condottiere. He served sometimes one republic, sometimes another, but he was employed most regularly by Florence, where he died. The cathedral in Florence contains an equestrian portrait of Hawkwood by Paolo Uccello."

Now, running the search on Florence brought up too many results to find the one im looking for - if anyone else can get it, it would be deeply appreciated.

Now, for the analysis:

If one looked at the previous mission and the background behind it, and then this one, there is a slight connection. The construction of the temple in Ramayan's honor during his repenance of the slaying of Ravana. More interestingly, in history, the construction of the Colossus at rhodes did have a similar reason - peace.

"Throughout most of its history, ancient Greece was comprised of city-states which had limited power beyond their boundary. On the small island of Rhodes were three of these: Ialysos, Kamiros, and Lindos. In 408 BC, the cities united to form one territory, with a unified capital, Rhodes. The city thrived commercially and had strong economic ties with their main ally, Ptolemy I Soter of Egypt. In 305 BC, the Antigonids of Macedonia who were also rivals of the Ptolemies, besieged Rhodes in an attempt to break the Rhodo-Egyptian alliance. They could never penetrate the city. When a peace agreement was reached in 304 BC, the Antagonids lifted the siege, leaving a wealth of military equipment behind. To celebrate their unity, the Rhodians sold the equipment and used the money to erect an enormous statue of their sun god, Helios."

In the case of connection with Hindu mythology, its appearance came forth from the destruction of an ancient foe and the reconciliation of one's action, while the connection in greek mythology and history, its construction and creation came about from a peace between two historic enemies.

Now this is interesting, to say the least.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
And the Colossus of Rhodes was quite notoriously destroyed by an earthquake shortly after its completion and never rebuilt.  Which will be important later.

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
IIRC the destruction of the Colossus was blamed on offending Helios (whom the statue was of), too; hence why the statue was never rebuilt.

Helios being the sun god. i.e. as in Capella(?).

Offline Kie99

Wow, this is really interesting.  I thought the names were just because they sounded good, I only noticed the really obvious ones.

Your signature's really interesting too.  It makes me wonder who "You of all people" is though.

*waits patiently for the next chapter of Journey of the Forgotten*
"You shot me in the bollocks, Tim"
"Like I said, no hard feelings"

This looks really great. It's nice reading for those interested, not just FS2 fans. Heh, what will you write 'High Noon'? :D

(Of course we all know where it comes from :p).

This is not a signature.
You did not see this.
It was all a dream.
You will not tell anyone about this.

Now go and read this signature again.

So, you actually bothered to scroll down, eh? If you're that bored, you might as well take a look at the links above.

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Do you know what I just discovered?

That Freespace 2 is indeed much more vastly connected to the bible....

I just ran a search on Aken Bosch's name, just for the heck of it....

look what I found...

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
from page 2 of the link:

"Bosch's  The Last Judgment. The Last Judgement includes paintings of saints and the mankind. It also includes humans beings suffering. This was probably a way of showing his anger or feelings. The names of the different paintings in here are St James the Great, St Bavo, The Fall of Mankind, The last Judgment, Hell, Frying Bodies, The Cast, A Musical Scene, The Urn, and Monsters with Knives.

Another interesting fact was, his paintings showed vivid images of the people in life. His paintings showed a fantasy of good and evil. Bosch did a lot  of paintings where the human being is suffering or showing anger at being punished for a bad life. He paints about Christ and various saints such as Anthony, Jerome, and James.  They would guide people to a good life on Earth, so they could have a good life in Heaven. Bosch is a unexplainable man because, he had a world of his own, through his artwork we get a glimpse of the man."

Offline castor

• http://www.ffighters.co.uk./home/
Good work Singh :yes:  Keep on going :)

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Wow.  I knew (a little) of Hieronymous Bosch the painter, but not that his original name was Van Aken.  Pretty much definitively proves where the name came from.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
I always liked the name of the mission where you collapse the Knossos, "A Flaming Sword."

So he drove out the man; and he placed at the east of the garden of Eden Cherubims, and a flaming sword which turned every way, to keep the way of the tree of life.
Genesis 3:24
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Roanoke

Originally posted by Galemp
I always liked the name of the mission where you collapse the Knossos, "A Flaming Sword."

I always thought the music (I forget which track) really suited the mission.

Offline Grey Wolf

Originally posted by Singh
Mission 6: The Great Hunt

This, compared to the previous one, is relatively easy and straightforward. References to history or mythology are quite not found, but its roots lie rather in literature. We have such as The second book of the wheel of time or another poem, with the same title

I suspect there is something deeper to this, but a rudimentary google search has turned up nothing.
Have you contemplated a reference to the Wild Hunt, perhaps?
You see things; and you say "Why?" But I dream things that never were; and I say "Why not?" -George Bernard Shaw

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
A tidbit: Ravana is the leader of Rakshas (singular Raksha), which are lesser evil spirits or demons.

Lilith is a complex one: stories about her are very old and so varied that it is difficult to say which myth came before one. Most important ones being that
a) Lilith is the first wife of Adam, his equal
b) she's an evil spirit
c) A Divine Lady for some religions.

For ship names you should propably check out pantheon.org, they have loads of information regarding these myths.
lol wtf

Offline Nuclear1

Originally posted by Grey Wolf
Have you contemplated a reference to the Wild Hunt, perhaps?

I remember from somewhere hearing that the Mongols participated in a "Great Hunt", involving the hunting of thousands of animals at one time.

I also noticed that there is a FS1 mission named the same; the second-last mission involving that 100K+ meter chase after the Lucifer. Connection, maybe?

On a side note, there was a particular mission name that I always liked simply because of the fact that the opening half resembled exactly what the name was. (I'll let Singh get to it before mentioning it :D )
Spoon - I stand in awe by your flawless fredding. Truely, never before have I witnessed such magnificant display of beamz.
Axem -  I don't know what I'll do with my life now. Maybe I'll become a Nun, or take up Macrame. But where ever I go... I will remember you!
Axem - Sorry to post again when I said I was leaving for good, but something was nagging me. I don't want to say it in a way that shames the campaign but I think we can all agree it is actually.. incomplete. It is missing... Voice Acting.
Quanto - I for one would love to lend my beautiful singing voice into this wholesome project.
Nuclear1 - I want a duet.
AndrewofDoom - Make it a trio!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
You wouldn't be thinking of "Love the Treason..." would you?

im hooked...this is great reading material, i know im new and all but i really think you guys should compose an article about this stuff "Freespace Origins - A journey to the lands beyond"?
Lightning....im always first

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Ok, I'll be starting this thread over from scratch - the reason being is that I missed quite a few details in the first few missions that I overlooked. Rather than go ahead with an incomplete base, i'd like to go back and start over and get it right.

To sort of making it formattable and readable, would the following format work?

Mission name:
Brief Description:
Ships in Mission/Class:
Special Characters involved (if any):

Mission Name Analysis and links:

Mission Ships/Class Analysis and links:

Mission events/description analysis and links:

Any misc. notes as well as possible connections between the a/m three analysis.

Would there be anything to add to this?