Author Topic: Crashing on the First Mission...  (Read 2081 times)

Offline Hadman

Crashing on the First Mission...
Hi all,

Downloaded Base 3.2, installed Raider Wars with the 2.1 patch, but about 15 minutes into the first mission, when I am fighting around the Raider Base, the program goes through a major crash and kicks me out after a long time.  Is this a problem others have had, or am I doing something wrong?  I have it on a Compaq 9030 laptop that I bought earlier this year, with Windows XP and all the latest downloads...

Offline Sphynx

Hmm.. I haven't experienced that. Anybody else?
What we perceive is more a reflection of ourselves than of our environment.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Open up your TBP folder and post the first 10 lines (and only the first ten, we don't need all of it) of the errorlog.txt file.

We also need your command line options if you've touched anything on the features tab.

With that it will be easier to tell the cause.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hadman

Thanks for the quick reply!  Ok, I'll drill down and get the information later this evening and post it.

Cheers!

Offline Hadman

Well, I've looked, but there doesn't seem to be an error log.  I'll play the mission again until it crashes and then see if there is a log of what happened.  

More later...

Offline Hadman

Right, here is the error log data:

fs2_open_r caused an Access Violation in module d3d8.dll at 001b:6db693e8.
Exception handler called in Freespace 2 Main Thread.
Error occurred at 9/18/2005 17:50:16.
C:\Program Files\The Babylon Project\fs2_open_r.exe, run by Gregory Hadley.
1 processor(s), type 586.
991 MBytes physical memory.
Write to location 2ddf3000 caused an access violation.

Registers:
EAX=2ddf2ffc CS=001b EIP=6db693e8 EFLGS=00210293
EBX=614c6578 SS=0023 ESP=0012f2c0 EBP=0012f2f0
ECX=2ddf2ffc DS=0023 ESI=2ddf2ffc FS=003b
EDX=00000000 ES=0023 EDI=614c6578 GS=0000
Bytes at CS:EIP:
c7 40 04 00 00 00 00 c3 cc cc cc cc cc cc cc cc

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Well it's obvious from that that your error is with Direct 3D. What happens if you run in OpenGL mode instead?
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline Hadman

Hello again,

I did try OpenGL once, and it crashed even faster than on Direct 3D.  But since I had just tried it on Direct 3D a few minutes earlier, there might have been something still lurking in the programming.  I'll do a fresh reboot and try on OpenGL.  Many thanks for looking into this!

Offline Hadman

Well, I have tried Open GL on all the settings, and DirectX.  I even made sure I had the latest version of DirectX and video drivers.  I have found that if I switch around the video settings in between each mission, I might have a chance to play a little longer between crashes, but I still get multiple crashes anyway.  I thought maybe it was a case of the antivirus program (a very aggressive Norton AV) running in the background, but I still get crashes after I disable it.  

I noticed in the Launcher that when I click on the Registry tab, I get an error message with no display of data.  I run my various registry cleaning programs, but this doesn't seem to solve the problem.

I really like the game, though.  If there is anyone who can help suggest what to do about my problem, I would really appreciate it.

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
What's in the errorlog.txt file when it crashes in OpenGL?

I would guess though that it's just that integrated video (Intel 855) that's the problem.

Offline Hadman

Hi Taylor,

Good question.  I'll run it in OpenGL until it crashes and then send the first 10 or so lines.  

Much obliged!