Author Topic: A quite possibly fake mention of Freespace 3  (Read 24742 times)

Offline WeatherOp

• I forged the ban hammer. What about that?
    • http://www.geocities.com/weather_op/pageone.html?1113100476773
A quite possibly fake mention of Freespace 3
:lol: Evil, truly Evil.
Decent Blacksmith, Master procrastinator.

PHD in the field of Almost Finishing Projects.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Misleading the press 4TW! :D
"But you live, you learn.  Unless you die.  Then you're ****ed." - aldo14

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
You do all realise now that we're going to have a bunch of X-Box fans coming here all the time now asking us when FS3 will be out don't you? :D
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
Originally posted by karajorma
You do all realise now that we're going to have a bunch of X-Box fans coming here all the time now asking us when FS3 will be out don't you? :D

Fresh meat for the grinder.........  :devil:

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
LOL! This is rich! Rich I tell you!
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board

:lol:

Comments on the article:

34 - Freespace 3
Unregistered - Anonymous Coward 09.28.2005 09:16
First mention I've EVER seen of Freespace 3. Anywhere. If they bring that out on 360 I'll be a happy camper indeed.

35 - Ref 34
Gill 09.28.2005 09:26
This probably makes me sound like a complete noob, but what is Freespace?

36 -
Unregistered - Anonymous 09.28.2005 09:47
Looks extremely dubious that this is in any way official.

More like a fanboy's wet dream.....

37 -
Unregistered - Anonymous Coward 09.28.2005 09:51
resident evil series is old and boring

38 -
Unregistered - Anonymous Coward 09.28.2005 09:54
now what could FREESPACE be? oh c'mon!

39 - KI3 will own DOA4
Unregistered - Coward 09.28.2005 10:04
rare back in the game, wohoo!!

40 - Freespace 3
Unregistered - Anonymous Coward 09.28.2005 10:36
Descent: Freespace and Freespace 2 were Sci-Fi space shooters for the PC. Published by Interplay and developed by Volition (now working with THQ) they were considered the best space shooters released (except by Wing Commander fanbois)

It has begun... :shaking:

Edit:

67 - Freespace 3
Unregistered - BD 09.29.2005 01:46
HAHAHAHA
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Offline BlackDove

• Star Killer
  • Section 3 of the GTVI
    • http://www.shatteredstar.org
I just couldn't resist you know.

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman

You mean someone will actually like Deepblue's threads?

Offline Col. Fishguts

• voodoo doll
Oh god ...now HLP has started its own internet spoof.

Pure comedy gold :lol:
"I don't think that people accept the fact that life doesn't make sense. I think it makes people terribly uncomfortable. It seems like religion and myth were invented against that, trying to make sense out of it." - D. Lynch

Visit The Babylon Project, now also with HTL flavour  ¦ GTB Rhea

Offline Fragrag

Haha, nice Goober :lol: :lol:
"On this day...my pants are filled....with joy" -Singh, doing the pants game
My blog, with 'gorillarape' in the url, who wouldn't visit it?!

Offline Styxx

• Hard Light Productions
Way to spoil our fun, whoever it was. :p
Probably away. Contact through email.

Offline Janos

• A *really* weird sheep
hahahahahahahhhahaha

It was pretty golden to open the thread.
lol wtf

Hi guys. Damn you all. I think you only had one person going there. I seemed to be the only one who knew what Freespace 3 would be, but damn you got me good.

Since I noticed that title there, I've googled for other mentions of FS3 and noticed somebody was considering buying the rights from Interplay. Did anything ever come of that?

Offline vyper

• The Sexy Scotsman
Let's just say it wasn't a Smart move on that person's part.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
From my FAQ
When is FreeSpace 3 coming out?

Without a doubt this is probably the most common question asked by people entering the Freespace community. They see how brilliant FS1 and FS2 were and they find it hard to believe that FS3 isn't already available for people to play. I can't say I blame them. I found it hard to believe myself but the main reason FS3 isn't out already is because FS2 didn't sell that well.
Despite widespread critical acclaim the sales of FS2 compared to FS1 were actually quite poor. The community puts this fact squarely at the feet of FreeSpace's publisher, Interplay. Quite frankly Freespace 2 was hardly advertised at all so it's hardly surprising that it didn't sell.
Volition, (Simply known as [V] by the fans), the makers of Freespace later struck a deal with another publisher THQ and no longer work for Interplay but Interplay retained the rights to Freespace. The really annoying thing about this is that [V] have made several statements that show their programmers are willing to do a third Freespace game but can't since Interplay hold the licenses and THQ prefer to own the rights to any games they make.

The Freespace community has tried various methods to bring about FS3 including petitions and mailings to [V] and Interplay. None of these have had much of an effect because since Freespace 2 didn't do very well so Interplay doesn't wish to stick their neck out and hire someone to write a third.

A while back an announcement by Derek Smart (creator of the BattleCruiser 3000 series) that he was attempting to purchase the licence caused widespread consternation amongst the community. The quality of his other games, the attitude with which he treated the community when suggesting this and the fact that he showed no intention of asking [V] what they had planned for the storyline of FS3 left the community up in arms. Fortunately the situation appears to have normalised since then with Derek Smart deciding to leave FreeSpace alone and make up his own universe instead.

While the occasional juicy titbit from [V] or Interplay (The fact that Interplay has been hovering near bankruptcy for the past two years for instance) occasionally stirs interest the general consensus of the community is to not mention FS3 at all unless there is something new to say about it. Comments about FS3 are generally unpopular amongst the veterans because we've seen them all before. If you have something new to contribute people will generally receive it politely but posting questions about FS3 that we've all seen a hundred times before generally results in a terse answer and a link to this site or the Wiki at best.

Anyway :welcome:

You're obviously a fan of the first two so feel free to stick around :) And if you have a copy of FS2 look at the celebration of freespace thread and then head to the SCP forum so you can do that on your own PC. :D

BTW Derek Smarts "I want to make FS3" thread is third post on a search for Freespace 3. We really need to get something from HLP higher than that.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2005, 11:04:51 am by 340 »
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]

Yeah, I still have the first two (FS2 still installed. \o/). I never really got into the mod scene but after having a look at some of the shots on the "Celebration of Freespace" thread, I am gonna have a quick flick through. :nod:

Meanwhile, thanks for the warm welcome.

(And no thanks for getting me all excited over nothing. :P)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
:wakka:

I never in my wildest dreams thought it would get off this site, let alone that far.  Now I'm glad I stayed up to Photoshop it. :D
Originally posted by StratComm
Goob, you made the front page of XBox360News.com!  :lol:
I wonder if I can put that on my resume? :D

I'm surprised it managed to find its way over to the XBox guys, considering that that thread was posted three months ago and the Photoshopped picture is right alongside the original.

EDIT: Aha.  The original picture must have been removed, leaving the Photoshop fake as the only surviving link. :)

Offline Carl

• Render artist
    • http://www.3dap.com/hlp/
Lawl! Soon our influence will spread far and wide
"Gunnery control, fry that ****er!" - nuclear1

Offline Sandwich

• Got Screen?
    • Minecraft
    • Twitter
    • Brainzipper
Oh. My. Soul. :wakka:

Someone add this and the original thread into the Classics section, quick! :p
SERIOUSLY...! | {The Sandvich Bar} - Rhino-FS2 Tutorial | CapShip Turret Upgrade | The Complete FS2 Ship List | System Background Package

"...The quintessential quality of our age is that of dreams coming true. Just think of it. For centuries we have dreamt of flying; recently we made that come true: we have always hankered for speed; now we have speeds greater than we can stand: we wanted to speak to far parts of the Earth; we can: we wanted to explore the sea bottom; we have: and so  on, and so on: and, too, we wanted the power to smash our enemies utterly; we have it. If we had truly wanted peace, we should have had that as well. But true peace has never been one of the genuine dreams - we have got little further than preaching against war in order to appease our consciences. The truly wishful dreams, the many-minded dreams are now irresistible - they become facts." - 'The Outward Urge' by John Wyndham

"The very essence of tolerance rests on the fact that we have to be intolerant of intolerance. Stretching right back to Kant, through the Frankfurt School and up to today, liberalism means that we can do anything we like as long as we don't hurt others. This means that if we are tolerant of others' intolerance - especially when that intolerance is a call for genocide - then all we are doing is allowing that intolerance to flourish, and allowing the violence that will spring from that intolerance to continue unabated." - Bren Carlill

Offline TrashMan

• T-tower Avenger. srsly.
  • God-Emperor of your kind!
    • Minecraft
    • FLAMES OF WAR
*Gunnery Control - target Vulak'Aerr. Fire hte Welecome Beam*

Welecome to the HLP station cadet! You will find flamethrowers under your seat, but they are practilcy allways empty (gas bills you know) so you'll have to either bludgeon someone to death with them or buy your own napalm. Plasma rifles can be fund in the security lockers, but they can only by opened by an Admin, [V] or a hyperintellignet shade of blue.
Be carefull when moving around the station - trolls and n00bs can often catch members by surprise. If you see a shivan moving around the air vent it's probably just Carl. Just give him your launch and he'll (hopefully) leave you alone. Avoid the mention of the Holy FS3 or the Unholy Derek (Un)Smart for your own safety.
Hope you'll enjoy your stay - the hangarbay doors are malfunctioning and An0n chrashed our last transport so you're stuck here anyway.
Nobody dies as a virgin - the life ****s us all!

You're a wrongularity from which no right can escape!