Author Topic: Research into Fs2 Mk.2  (Read 16483 times)

Offline Setekh

• Jar of Clay
    • Hard Light Productions
Would this sort of thing fit best on the FS Wiki? :)
- Eddie Kent Woo, Setekh, Steak (of Steaks), AWACS. Seriously, just pick one.
HARD LIGHT PRODUCTIONS, now V3.0. Bringing Modders Together since January 2001.
THE HARD LIGHT ARRAY. Always makes you say wow.

Offline Singh

• Hasn't Accomplished Anything Special Or Notable
  • Degrees of guilt.
If you want it, yeah sure. But I find it easier to update a thread as opposed to the Wiki  :P

No updates yet - posting from Genting on my vacation atm! I have pictures and stuff that ill post later when I get back to Singapore :D

"Blessed be the FREDder that knows his sexps."
"Cursed be the FREDder that trusts FRED2_Open."
Dreamed of much, accomplished little. :(

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Ok, I just read the Shivan Manifesto thread (well, actually just the recent updates and bumpage to it) and got a few thoughts running.

Rather than mill on them, I went on the net again and did another search for Aken Bosch, this time finding a vastly more detailed article on his life and what-not. And then I read through it. The similarities are startling to say the least.

I was going to post this large reply to the thread when my connection went out. Goober then locked the thread (darn you!) so I couldnt post there, so instead, I will post here.

So many theories...so much speculation.

And yet, there is but one probability.

The Shivans were part of a much larger problem, Volition said...

The key here, I believe....is not race... nor species but problem...

From Dictionary.com:

prob·lem    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (prblm)
n.
A question to be considered, solved, or answered: math problems; the problem of how to arrange transportation.
A situation, matter, or person that presents perplexity or difficulty: was having problems breathing; considered the main problem to be his boss. See Usage Note at dilemma.

Problem

n
1: a state of difficulty that needs to be resolved;
2: a source of difficulty;
3: a question raised for consideration or solution

The question here should not be who the shivans are...or why they do what they do...or even whom they work for (if applicable). But, rather what is the nature of the larger problem at play against humanity?

There is a hidden hint here....one within the way the Vasudans have thrived, and how humanity was still struggling comparitively. Then comes the Bosch enigma.

http://www.morbidoutlook.com/art/articles/1999_00_bosch.html

This is a very interesting article on Bosch's nature and paintings of the time. Pay close attention to the details of the time in particular:

"Bosch lived during unsettled and anxious times. The old medieval order imposed by the Church was cracking under the growth of cities, the power and commerce of capitalism, the rise of national states, demands for religious reform and the beginnings of science. Minds were growing curious, analytical and adventurous. Historians point to this time as the beginning of the modern world.
The age was marked by violence and pessimism. Kings and dukes were murdered, soldiers pillaged and killed, cruelty to the poor and the animals were prevalent. The future seemed dim with visions of demons, darkness and hell. Opposing the current times, Bosch portrayed his message with a visual impact so fierce, it chilled his contemporaries and fascinates us five hundred years later. "

Bosch mentioned in his monologues, in his logs, the feelings he ahd of the Vasudans (especially the 4th log)...thing is there are correlations to some of hte monos and his paintings.

An example of this could be Mono 3 - the Iceni...which has some similarity to 'our' Bosch's "A ship of fools". However, it is more matching of Bosch's abandonment of the Iceni, and all of it's crew. A ship of fools and cattle that had followed him around blindly, worrying only about revenge and their hatred of the Vasudans....

"In The Ship of Fools, we see that all of humankind is sailing through the seas on a ship that is representative of humanity. Everyone represented here is a fool in Bosch’s eyes; people that eat, drink, flirt, cheat and pursue unattainable objects. Meanwhile the ship drifts aimlessly and never reaches the harbor. The sinister and monstrous things that he brought forth are our hidden forms of self-love, and the ugliness from within."

But hte overall theme one gets from 'our' Bosch could be summarized by the article:

"In an analysis done about forty years ago, the Dutch scholar Dirk Bax concluded that Bosch was a moralist with contempt for the lower classes. He had no sympathy for the poor and used bitter symbolism to satirize beggars, monks, nuns, soldiers, peasants, pilgrims, whores, gypsies, vagrants and jesters. He occasionally lashed out an emperors and nobles as well, but rarely against burghers like himself and others of the wealthy middle class. He vented his anger the most on the excess of lust, license, drunkenness, gluttony, folly and stupidity. Some art historians have since interpreted Bosch’s paintings as displaying less pessimism and more understanding of the difficult plight of his fellow human beings. "

A rather starkling parralel (or at least, a similarity in course) to the Bosch in Freespace 2.

What does this bode for the Shivans, however? Or indeed...how is it even related? The religious undertones that govern the existance of Bosch, indicates that the Shivans could indeed be governed by such undertones as well. From the article, the time at the period was potrayed as one of much darkness and strife, with the shadow of demons on the horizon. This could easily have been the description of the time in Fs1 when we started out - with the shadows of the Shivans in Ross128.

The main difference between real history and our paradigm here, however, is in events. In real history, this period of strife made way to capitalism, economy and the modern era.

In freespace, however, the Volition team appear to have taken a different tangent. This may be the main difference - could the so called 'demons' have appeared in the form of the Shivans? This could be equally possible in either FS1 or FS2. Judging from the trend, there is a more than likely chance that FS3 would have even more significant religious undertones and currents driving it along - the only question is which religion's?

In FS1, the Shivans were potrayed mostly from Eastern Hindu mythology. One thing about hindu mythology - it has hte largest number of dietys around, which probably allowed the devs from flexibility in naming conventions, so its probably not very in-depth than one may think...FS2 however, saw the naming conventions change to that of Demons in general.

Taking into account this fact, and that of Bosch...could the Shivans in essence, represent the inner demons that we fight everyday? Or perhaps, teh guardians or vassals of a representative hell itself?So many theories...so much speculation.

And yet, there is but one probability.

The Shivans were part of a much larger problem, Volition said...

The key here, I believe....is not race... nor species but problem...

From Dictionary.com:

prob·lem    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (prblm)
n.
A question to be considered, solved, or answered: math problems; the problem of how to arrange transportation.
A situation, matter, or person that presents perplexity or difficulty: was having problems breathing; considered the main problem to be his boss. See Usage Note at dilemma.

Problem

n
1: a state of difficulty that needs to be resolved;
2: a source of difficulty;
3: a question raised for consideration or solution

The question here should not be who the shivans are...or why they do what they do...or even whom they work for (if applicable). But, rather what is the nature of the larger problem at play against humanity?

There is a hidden hint here....one within the way the Vasudans have thrived, and how humanity was still struggling comparitively. Then comes the Bosch enigma.

http://www.morbidoutlook.com/art/articles/1999_00_bosch.html

This is a very interesting article on Bosch's nature and paintings of the time. Pay close attention to the details of the time in particular:

"Bosch lived during unsettled and anxious times. The old medieval order imposed by the Church was cracking under the growth of cities, the power and commerce of capitalism, the rise of national states, demands for religious reform and the beginnings of science. Minds were growing curious, analytical and adventurous. Historians point to this time as the beginning of the modern world.
The age was marked by violence and pessimism. Kings and dukes were murdered, soldiers pillaged and killed, cruelty to the poor and the animals were prevalent. The future seemed dim with visions of demons, darkness and hell. Opposing the current times, Bosch portrayed his message with a visual impact so fierce, it chilled his contemporaries and fascinates us five hundred years later. "

Bosch mentioned in his monologues, in his logs, the feelings he ahd of the Vasudans (especially the 4th log)...thing is there are correlations to some of hte monos and his paintings.

An example of this could be Mono 3 - the Iceni...which has some similarity to 'our' Bosch's "A ship of fools". However, it is more matching of Bosch's abandonment of the Iceni, and all of it's crew. A ship of fools and cattle that had followed him around blindly, worrying only about revenge and their hatred of the Vasudans....

"In The Ship of Fools, we see that all of humankind is sailing through the seas on a ship that is representative of humanity. Everyone represented here is a fool in Bosch’s eyes; people that eat, drink, flirt, cheat and pursue unattainable objects. Meanwhile the ship drifts aimlessly and never reaches the harbor. The sinister and monstrous things that he brought forth are our hidden forms of self-love, and the ugliness from within."

But hte overall theme one gets from 'our' Bosch could be summarized by the article:

"In an analysis done about forty years ago, the Dutch scholar Dirk Bax concluded that Bosch was a moralist with contempt for the lower classes. He had no sympathy for the poor and used bitter symbolism to satirize beggars, monks, nuns, soldiers, peasants, pilgrims, whores, gypsies, vagrants and jesters. He occasionally lashed out an emperors and nobles as well, but rarely against burghers like himself and others of the wealthy middle class. He vented his anger the most on the excess of lust, license, drunkenness, gluttony, folly and stupidity. Some art historians have since interpreted Bosch’s paintings as displaying less pessimism and more understanding of the difficult plight of his fellow human beings. "

A rather starkling parralel (or at least, a similarity in course) to the Bosch in Freespace 2.

What does this bode for the Shivans, however? Or indeed...how is it even related? The religious undertones that govern the existance of Bosch, indicates that the Shivans could indeed be governed by such undertones as well. From the article, the time at the period was potrayed as one of much darkness and strife, with the shadow of demons on the horizon. This could easily have been the description of the time in Fs1 when we started out - with the shadows of the Shivans in Ross128.

The main difference between real history and our paradigm here, however, is in events. In real history, this period of strife made way to capitalism, economy and the modern era.

In freespace, however, the Volition team appear to have taken a different tangent. This may be the main difference - could the so called 'demons' have appeared in the form of the Shivans? This could be equally possible in either FS1 or FS2. Judging from the trend, there is a more than likely chance that FS3 would have even more significant religious undertones and currents driving it along - the only question is which religion's?

In FS1, the Shivans were potrayed mostly from Eastern Hindu mythology. One thing about hindu mythology - it has hte largest number of dietys around, which probably allowed the devs from flexibility in naming conventions, so its probably not very in-depth than one may think...FS2 however, saw the naming conventions change to that of Demons in general.

Taking into account this fact, and that of Bosch...could the Shivans in essence, represent the inner demons that we fight everyday? Or perhaps, teh guardians or vassals of a representative hell itself?

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
Oh, just to indicate how evil the damn thing is. After my post; the number of times read that appeared correlates with a well-known Christian belief.... :eek: :
(no joke - real screenshot...)

Offline Mefustae

• Chevron locked...
Wasn't '666' deemed a mis-translation, and the number '616' deemed more accurate to the original writings on the subject...?

Offline Singh

• Degrees of guilt.
I dont remember reading that, yet it seems vaguely familiar.

In any case, time to move on. I did some more research and digging - this time into the destruction of Capella. Most of the answers so far have come from google, so why not just try and search for a familiar event? I typed in Destruction of Capella, and found little except for a neat entry down at Science-fiction database. Check it out. I then tried searching for just Capella instead.

I found This. It is a real system, albiet different. Also, Capella is known as 'she-goat' in Roman mythology, and is said to be the bringer of destructive storms, as gleamed from Here

Some interesting quotes:

History of the star: Capella, "small goat" or the "Little She-goat", is a white star in Auriga marking the goat that the Charioteer is carrying on his left shoulder.

There are many ancient stories relating to Capella, the 6th largest star in the sky.

A previous name of this star was Amalthea, which referred to the goat that suckled the baby Zeus (Jove/Jupiter). Amalthea was mother of the Haedi (the two stars depicted as kid goats - Zeta, Hoedus 1 and Eta Auriga, Hoedus 11), which she put aside to accommodate her foster-child, and with her sister Melissa, she fed the infant god with goat's milk and honey on Mount Ida and this star is appropriately positioned in the Milky Way; and for which Manilius wrote: The Nursing Goat's repaid with Heaven.

From this came the occasional Jovis Nutrix.

Others said that the star represented the Goat's horn broken off in play by the infant Zeus and transferred to the heavens as Cornu-copia, the "Horn of Plenty", a title recalled by the modern Lithuanian "Food-bearer".

The words Keren-happuch, the "Paint-horn", or the "Horn of Antimony", of the Book of Job xlii, 14, — the Cornus tibii of the Vulgate are all said to be connected.

"Capella's course admiring landsmen trace, but sailors hate her inauspicious face". This star, along with the Haedi, were known for their stormy character throughout classical days and this was called the "rainy Goat-star". The word "goat" was analogous to a "Storm Wind".

Pliny and Manilius treated it as a constellation by itself, also calling it Capra, Caper, Hircus, and by other hircine titles. Our word is the diminutive of Capra, sometimes turned into Crepa, but this star was more definitely given as Olenia, Olenie, Capra Olenie, and the Olenium Astrum of Ovid's Heroides. In the present day it is Cabrilla with the Spaniards, and Chevre with the French.
The Arabic had various names; Ayyuk, Alhajoc, Alhajoth, Alathod, Alkatod, Alatudo, Atud, Alcahela. Al 'Anz, "Goat". The early Arabs called it Al Rakib, the Driver. The Tyrians called it 'Iyutha.

Capella's place on the Egyptian Denderah zodiac is occupied by a mummied cat in the outstretched hand of a male figure crowned with feathers; while, always an important star in the temple worship of the great Egyptian god Ptah, the Opener (of the year), it is supposed to have borne the name of that divinity and probably was observed at its setting 1700 BCE from his temple, the noted edifice at Karnak near Thebes, the No Amon of the books of the prophets Jeremiah and Nahum. A sanctuary of Ptah at Memphis also was oriented to it about 5200 BCE. There is believed to be at least five temples oriented to its setting.

It served, too, the same purpose for worship in Greece, where it may have been the orientation point of a temple at Eleusis to the goddess Diana Propyla.

In India it also was sacred as Brahma Ridaya, the "Heart of Brahma".

It was the Akkadian Dil-gan I-ku, the "Messenger of Light", and Dil-gan Babill, the "Patron star of Babylon",

One Akkadian cuneiform inscription, supposed to refer to Capella, is rendered by Jensen Askar, the "Tempest God"; and the Tablet of the Thirty Stars bears the synonymous Ma-a-tu; all this well accounting for its subsequent character in classical times.

The ancient Peruvians identifying this star with Colca, the Shepherd's Star as was the title in Mediterranean countries and with English poets.

In astrology Capella portended civic and military honors and wealth. (Allen).

An interesting thing about Ptah. His name means "Creator".

From the Memphite Theology:

"Thus it is said of Ptah: 'He who made all and created the gods.' And he is Ta-tenen, who gave birth to the gods, and from whom every thing came forth, foods, provisions, divine offerings, all good things. Thus it is recognized and understood that he is the mightiest of the gods. Thus Ptah was satisfied after he had made all things and all divine words."

(Ancient Egyptian Literature, Volume I: The Old and Middle Kingdom translated by Miriam Lichtheim)

From the lines I underlined in the passage above, one must note that Bhrama was known as the creator as well, in Indian mythology. This connection....it is simply too fascinating to ignore. I do not know if Volition did this delibrately or not, and it sparks significant thoughts on various religious connections.

The backbone behind the Shivans actions...was it to get back at the creator? Are we really seeing, veiled behind a heavy mask, a very massive and gargantual battle between good and evil, with humanity caught in the middle? It would certainly fit with what was found earlier about Admiral Bosch, and of how he tried to conspire with the demons. But then, one must ask - where is the evidence of the creator, the 'good' side that the Shivans were supposedly fighting? Perhaps this was supposed to be the climax in FS3 - the penultimate and epic battle between the traditional good and evil...or is it something far more sinister, something far, far deeper?

Offline pecenipicek

• Roast Chicken