Author Topic: progress of Release 2  (Read 9417 times)

Originally posted by ZmaN
so wait, what is left to do for the campaign????

Missions. Missions. Missions.

Some of the mission designers we took on haven't made a single submission. I won't mention names, you know who you are.

Offline DaBrain

• Screensniper
    • Shadows of Lylat board
Originally posted by SadisticSid

I won't mention names, you know who you are.

:shaking:

That's me, right? ... wait... I'm the graphics guy. So I'm the one who doesn't take care of the graphics.

Phew... :nervous:
--------------------------------------------------
SoL is looking for a sound effect artist
Please PM me in case you want to apply
---------------------------------
Shadows of Lylat - A Freespace 2 total conversion
(hosted by Game-Warden)
----------------------------------

Brain, your EA textures count for a mission set all in themselves. :D

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Some of the mission designers we took on haven't made a single submission. I won't mention names, you know who you are.

Actually all of them have at least done something, though some haven't finnished any missions.

Some of the testers we took on do nothing at all...

Offline mr.WHO

Does R2 main menu will get some facelifting ??

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
It's more of a proper mainhall now.

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

• Fuzzy Wuzzy wasn't very Fuzzy Was He?
Not sure if this was ever answered, but is ETAC ever mentioned at all? This IS afterall a continuation of the FreeSpace saga.

Anyway, since all seems to be progressing well, how long do you expect before Inferno R2 to be released? Last time I really checked in about this (over 1 year ago), R1 was still fresh and R2 was just started on paper.
"Never start a fight, but always finish it."  - Captain John Sheridan
-------
In Diffucult Ground; Press On
In Encircled Ground; Devise Strategems
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Sun Tzu on The Art of War circa 400 B.C.

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by EAD_Agamemnon
Not sure if this was ever answered, but is ETAC ever mentioned at all? This IS afterall a continuation of the FreeSpace saga.

No plans to

Originally posted by EAD_Agamemnon
Anyway, since all seems to be progressing well, how long do you expect before Inferno R2 to be released? Last time I really checked in about this (over 1 year ago), R1 was still fresh and R2 was just started on paper.

Depends when the missions are done. The rest I could get ready within a few days.

Offline Hippo

• Darth water-horse
  • Grazing.
    • All Hands to War

Missions. Missions. Missions.

Oi! I'll work on it!
VBB Survivor -- 387 Posts -- July 3 2001 - April 12 2002
VWBB Survivor -- 100 Posts -- July 10 2002 - July 10 2004

AHTW

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Too bad.

The ETAC, or at least a mention or use of it given that this takes place decades after Capella, would be a nice twist.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
It could still be 'classified beyond your level of clearence pilot' :p

If we made ETAK a part of the Inferno storyline I doubt we'd ever hear the end of complaints that we'd done it wrongly. I always thought the idea was a bit dodgy as well - if the Shivans were bothered about communicating with humans, they would have certainly been the first to try; their technology is leagues ahead of the GTVA's in the Capella era.

I mean, sonic oscillations - voices - are conceptually similar to decipher than resonating quantum pulses or whatever technobabble Bosch used for it. :)

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
Actually, I think it would be criminal not to include something based on it. Chew on this for a bit.

Since ETAK was designed to translate garden-variety Shivan transmissions, if the Shivans used any encryption whatsoever, ETAK is capable of defeating it. The GTVA thus possesses the means to read, at the least, Shivan tactical transmissions in real-time. (And possibly all Shivan transmissions; we don't know if they even bother to encrypt them at all.) This would obviously confer some advantages, and the GTVA is going to be grabbing for whatever advantages it can get.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline EAD_Agamemnon

Bosch built the ETAC to communicate with the Shivans, which you see something of in one of the missions. Maybe dont make the ETAC an out and out story driving device, but maybe have it where it comes up....and the Grand Alliance (GVN, GTN, EA), so they might be able to get SOME answers.  And going on what    ngtm1r   just said...the GTVA did in fact gain ETAC technology when they evacuated the Iceni.
-------
In Death Ground; FIGHT!

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
There is, of course, the possibility that Bosch took the software (or whatever) with him, since presumably he'd need a way to communicate with his "hosts".  It's also quite possible, give Return to Babel, that it never worked properly.  From what I got of the Bosch monologues though, it's probably very unlikely that the GTVA would do much with the ETAC research even if they did get all of it.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Originally posted by ngtm1r
Actually, I think it would be criminal not to include something based on it. Chew on this for a bit.

Since ETAK was designed to translate garden-variety Shivan transmissions, if the Shivans used any encryption whatsoever, ETAK is capable of defeating it. The GTVA thus possesses the means to read, at the least, Shivan tactical transmissions in real-time. (And possibly all Shivan transmissions; we don't know if they even bother to encrypt them at all.) This would obviously confer some advantages, and the GTVA is going to be grabbing for whatever advantages it can get.

Well if you want something on it, you can make custom content missions for the archives maybe using some of the SOC style fighters ;7

Offline NGTM-1R

• I reject your reality and substitute my own
  • Syndral Active. 0410.
:p I'm saving that plot device for myself.
"Load sabot. Target Zaku, direct front!"

A Feddie Story

Offline Woomeister

• Infyrno Missile
    • Inferno SCP
Ugh the newer CVS builds are giving geometry errors in 20 of our ships. Good job I know how to fix them all :)

I want as bugless as possible so I don't have to patch it a few hours/days after release :D

Offline ZmaN

Originally posted by StratComm
There is, of course, the possibility that Bosch took the software (or whatever) with him, since presumably he'd need a way to communicate with his "hosts".  It's also quite possible, give Return to Babel, that it never worked properly.  From what I got of the Bosch monologues though, it's probably very unlikely that the GTVA would do much with the ETAC research even if they did get all of it.

I think bosch may have made a copy of it....  just like we make campaign copies! :p

but seriously, i think the GTVA actually did get MOST of the ETAK research......  bosch probably just needed a translator to talk to the shivans when they picked him up....
Well what do I do now?  Well Jack, you seem to have an act for blowing things up....

www.underoath777.com  <---  The BEST BAND EVER!

My Rig:
NZXT Apollo Case, with the insides painted black, and refinished side panels
Cooler Master Real Power Pro 750 watt PSU
Intel Xeon E3110 (e8400) OC'd to 3.6ghz
Xigmatek S1283 HDT Cooler
Biostar TPower I45 Motherboard
2 x 2GB's Crucial Ballistx DDR2-800 RAM
XFX Geforce 8800GTX GPU
Onboard sound
3 x 36GB Raptors in RAID 0
1 x Western Digital 640GB stand-alone

Matthew 1:1-2  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.  He was with God in the beginning.

Offline ToecrusherHammerjaw

• Trayus no more.
Speaking of Bosch, it would kind of be cool to see him show up in a mod with a Shivan fleet.  Part of a bad campaign idea I had was an "infested" Bosch, like Kerrigan in Starcraft, a sort of part human, part Shivan, part cyborg thing (really screwed up when I think of it).  Just a thought.