Author Topic: FS1 icons  (Read 2461 times)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
    • http://www.icculus.org/~taylor
This really isn't deserving of a topic for itself but what the hell; anyone interested in a new FS1 icon?  I made new icons for the icculus.org port of FS1, for Linux and OS X, since the original version looks like crap at the higher resolutions both of those OSes require.  It's not that good and a true artist could do a better job but if anyone wants it I'll convert it to a Windows icon resource and make it available.  If there is actual interest in this then I can also make available the FS2 and the (pretty crappy) FS2_Open icons that I made for OS X and Linux.

Sizes available are: 16x16, 32x32, 48x48, 64x64, 128x128.  Original SVG versions are also available if wanted/needed.

Here is a sample (there is a black outline around the whole thing though that may not show up here):

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
lickable :p

Neat. I'm not sure how or if we'd use it though, I use my custom SCP icon for launching Freespace (your avatar.)
What I'd really like is icons for VP, Table and POF files, but I don't expect you to worry about that.

And I'm very glad you're not ranting about how you wanted the original FS1 briefing and ship/weapon selection icons. :nod: That was the pit of dread that filled my soul when I saw the thread title.
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...

Offline Black Wolf

• Twisted Infinities
  • Hey! You! Get off-a my cloud!
    • Visit the TI homepage!
Originally posted by Galemp

And I'm very glad you're not ranting about how you wanted the original FS1 briefing and ship/weapon selection icons. :nod: That was the pit of dread that filled my soul when I saw the thread title.

I thought the exact same thing :D
TWISTED INFINITIES · SECTORGAME· FRONTLINES
Rarely Updated P3D.
Burn the heretic who killed F2S! Burn him, burn him!!- GalEmp

Offline Mongoose

• Rikki-Tikki-Tavi
  • Global Moderator
  • This brain for rent.
    • Minecraft
    • Steam
    • Something
So, about those FS1 briefing icons... :p

P.S. Nice icon taylor :)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Galemp
Neat. I'm not sure how or if we'd use it though, I use my custom SCP icon for launching Freespace (your avatar.)
What I'd really like is icons for VP, Table and POF files, but I don't expect you to worry about that.

I didn't expect most people would need/want it but I didn't want to keep it for the non-Windows people if others were intrested.  No biggie.

Hmm, mime type icons.  I don't know about tbl and pof but I do need something for VPs before too much longer.  When I start shipping an OS X version of a GUI VP manipulator I'll have to make an icon for it.  If I come up with something good I'll let you know.  I may do something for tbl too but I don't have a clue what I'd do for pof.

Ooh, I probably shouldn't have left that "s" on icons.  Didn't think about that.  On the risk of bringing up a sore topic, why aren't you using the original icons?  It's no problem getting them to work so I guess it's not a technical issue.  Trying not to use the original data?

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Originally posted by taylor
On the risk of bringing up a sore topic, why aren't you using the original icons?  It's no problem getting them to work so I guess it's not a technical issue.  Trying not to use the original data?
I think Galemp favors "bringing FS1 to FS2" rather than "simulating FS1 with the FS2 engine".  There's a subtle distinction.  But that distinction is becoming increasingly blurred with us making the FS1 media available in FS2 format. :nervous:

Which reminds me, you and I need to revisit putting the icculus FS1 code into the SCP. ;)

Offline taylor

• Super SCP/Linux Guru
Originally posted by Goober5000
I think Galemp favors "bringing FS1 to FS2" rather than "simulating FS1 with the FS2 engine".  There's a subtle distinction.  But that distinction is becoming increasingly blurred with us making the FS1 media available in FS2 format. :nervous:

Well there is quite a bit more than using the original artwork to "simulating FS1 with the FS2 engine".  I've got a year of porting work getting FS2 back down to FS1 to prove it.  It's not really an issue for me either way, I just wanted to make sure it wasn't for some possible technical issue since I can get that sorted out real quick.

Which reminds me, you and I need to revisit putting the icculus FS1 code into the SCP. ;)

Yeah I was thinking about that this weekend.  I just did a big update to the icculus.org code so that the FS1 port there will work 100% with just the original data.  Previously it still needed a few new tables, a fixed mission and a modified interface mask to work.  Getting the FS1 style interface elements (if those are wanted) going will be pretty difficult until I get done with FLUID but we should be able to work out pretty much everything else.

Offline Galemp

• Actual father of Samus
  • Ask me about GORT!
    • Steam
    • User page on the FreeSpace Wiki
"Anyone can do any amount of work, provided it isn't the work he's supposed to be doing at that moment." -- Robert Benchley

Members I've personally met: RedStreblo, Goober5000, Sandwich, Splinter, Su-tehp, Hippo, CP5670, Terran Emperor, Karajorma, Dekker, McCall, Admiral Wolf, mxlm, RedSniper, Stealth, Black Wolf...