Author Topic: Issues with the undying charachters  (Read 4143 times)

Offline Goober5000

• HLP Loremaster
    • Goober5000 Productions
Issues with the undying charachters
Originally posted by TrashMan
Interesting... So you see no benefit to anyone in this?
TrashMan, this is precisely the same flippant attitude that causes you so much trouble in the SCP forum.  We have an existing system that works.  We've also coded up some extra features so you can have an even better system with a little effort on your part.  But you're not happy with any of the existing solutions - you want us to code up the whole entire thing for you just so you can sit back and just hit "go".

It's the same deal with custom nameplates.  After a great deal of work, I was able to add a system that lets you replace a texture on any ship with any other texture.  I even designed a template so people could make their own nameplates.  This takes literally less than one minute; I timed it.  But you weren't satisfied with that, you wanted all the work to be done for you.

And so it is with feature after feature.  You really present the appearance of a whining kid who isn't satisfied with anything we do for you; you want the entire process laid out from start to finish.  That's not only annoying, I'd say it's extremely arrogant.  It's frustrating for us because we feel our work isn't appreciated.  It's frustrating for others because our time is taken away from other features in order to cater to your demands (or at the very least, explain why they aren't feasible).

We've had to explain this to you time and time again.  I have no idea why you haven't gotten the point by now.

EDIT: I posted while karajorma was also posting.  As you can see I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
If you read what I wrote then you would see that I propsed a recovery ship option.

An escape pod is just that - an escape pod. Designed to save your sorry ass when hte fighter blows - like an ejection seat.

it doesn't have engines (alltough it could have very small thrusters really) and especially not a jump drive. What next? Weapons on it?

2 words.

Sitting.  Duck.

And some more; not only is it just as implausible to have an invulnerable escape pod as it is a fighter, you also have the problem of which messages are appropriate.  It's highly unlikely an EP would send the same 'enemy spotted' type message as a fighter, for example.

If you want to have a recovery craft, fine, but you also have to handle protecting that, FRED-ing it in, handling how messages will occur if it is destroyed or removes an escape pod.  It's adding another layer of complexity that doesn't really solve anything.  

Granted, it's a nice concept, but it's not a/the solution to this type of problem.

Interesting... So you see no benefit to anyone in this?

No.  There's no point coding in specific events that can be created via FRED; ultimately you can't expect the SCP coders to do your work as well as their own, which is what this sort of thing amounts to.  Not to mention the problems of having - or expecting - special case features for individual people and rationalising that with the general scope use of the SCP nowadays.

Offline StratComm

• The POFressor
  • Cameron Crazy
    • http://www.geocities.com/cek_83/index.html
*waits patiently for Trashman to drag me into this somehow*

The always-present good idea for making feature requests is to ask yourself "can I do this with the tools I have".  If the answer is yes, then don't ask without a damned good explanation as to why it needs special treatment.  That goes in general, but especially here.
who needs a signature? ;)
It's not much of an excuse for a website, but my stuff can be found here

"Holding the last thread on a page comes with an inherent danger, especially when you are edit-happy with your posts.  For you can easily continue editing in points without ever noticing that someone else could have refuted them." ~Me, on my posting behavior

Last edited by StratComm on 08-23-2027 at 08:34 PM

Offline aldo_14

• Gunnery Control
I should probably admit I tend to do this (sort of) in the sense that I can never remember exactly what's been done in the SCP and either forget something is in and ask for it twice, or ask if its done when I think it might be but don't actually know.

Offline karajorma

• King Louie - Jungle VIP
  • Administrator
    • Karajorma's Freespace FAQ
Yeah but you ask politely and stop asking after you've been told how to do it.

It isn't that Trashman made a bad request that gets on my nerves. It's that he refused to listen after being told twice that he could do what he was asking for with SEXPs.
Karajorma's Freespace FAQ. It's almost like asking me yourself.

[ Diaspora ] - [ Seeds Of Rebellion ] - [ Mind Games ]